Knurled 7.62 LC 68 Match Casing

• Last Post 18 August 2023
Millelacs posted this 13 August 2023

I ran across one knurled casing in a batch of 7.62 LC 68 Match Casings.

I've never seen a knurled casing like this before.

Any thoughts?

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 13 August 2023

M852 Match assembled with 168-grain Sierra MatchKing bullet. Knurl is for identification. Boxes marked NOT FOR COMBAT USE, although JAG opinion rendered later for GWOT said it was OK to use on "non-state actors, criminals and terrorists."

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 14 August 2023

I do not doubt Ed Harris' statement of the purpose fo the knurling.  What we were told by the armorers for the Marine Corps Sniper team was that it was to help center the back ot the case in the chamber.  (put that into the bucket of sayings that start with "I heard"...)

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Bud Hyett
Millelacs posted this 14 August 2023

It's an education every time I log on here.

Many thanks for the information.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
4060may posted this 14 August 2023

I have about 250 LC brass, 308, with the knurling, mine has MATCH on the rim

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 15 August 2023

"What we were told by the armorers for the Marine Corps Sniper team was that it was to help center the back ot the case in the chamber.  (put that into the bucket of sayings that start with "I heard"...)"

Definitely barracks sea stories.  Lots of such myths emanate from self styled "experts".  Ed is correct.  The knurling signified the cartridges were not for "combat use".  That also was printed on the 20 round white box the cartridges came in.  I was there when it all occurred, read the first memo/orders issued regarding not using that ammo for "combat' and then the memos/orders JAG put out regarding it's use for combat.  I've shot a thousand or more rounds of it through NM M14s and still have some cases I'm still loading for use in my M70 Target rifle.  

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

John F. posted this 16 August 2023

Yep, I'm well familiar with these, also, having been issued cans of them on a Guard Rifle Team for use with the NM M14.

One rumor you may hear is that the knurling "weakens the case web" making them less desirable for handloading. 

Nope.  Another excellent 7.62mm case to look for is the M118LR, which employs the 175 gr. Sierra to stay super-

sonic out to 1000 yards.  (M852, not so much, and can go unstable when velocity falls off at long range.)  The

M118 LR cases are not knurled, and do not say "Match" like M852, but they are of excellent quality, and marked

with the year of production and LR on the headstamp.  These are all super-durable if you find yourself shooting and

reloading for a gasgun.  They last about forever unless you go all Elmer Keith on the powder charges, and one nice

feature is that the rims don't bend as some softer commercial brass does.   Hope this helps,

John

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • JeffinNZ
Premod70 posted this 17 August 2023

Another claim whether true or false is the bullets loaded in one varity were Sierra Matchkings and the thinking at the time was no hollow points allowed for military use. Supposedly the snipers used them just the same and the knurl helped them to identify the round in the dark from the ‘illegal’ rounds they carried just in case.

Forrest Gump is my smarter brother.

Attached Files

MP1886 posted this 18 August 2023

Attached Files

"What we were told by the armorers for the Marine Corps Sniper team was that it was to help center the back ot the case in the chamber.  (put that into the bucket of sayings that start with "I heard"...)"

Definitely barracks sea stories.  Lots of such myths emanate from self styled "experts".  Ed is correct.  The knurling signified the cartridges were not for "combat use".  That also was printed on the 20 round white box the cartridges came in.  I was there when it all occurred, read the first memo/orders issued regarding not using that ammo for "combat' and then the memos/orders JAG put out regarding it's use for combat.  I've shot a thousand or more rounds of it through NM M14s and still have some cases I'm still loading for use in my M70 Target rifle.  

LMG

Attached Files

LMG

Attached Files

Close