I Need A .25 Cal. Heeled Bulllet Mold

• Last Post 12 September 2023
mashburn posted this 10 September 2023

Hello,

Yep, here I go again. I've bought another rifle and need another unusual mold, I have worn my one good eye out on Ebay looking for a .25 Cal. healed or heeled bullet, whichever way that you spell it with no avail, at least not so far, does anyone have such a critter and if not, where could I possibly find one.

Thanks,

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
longhunter posted this 10 September 2023

NOE will make you one.

jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 11 September 2023

... 25 bullets should be easy to swage from lead wire  ...   just sayin ...

... and they tell me powder coated lead doesn't need lube grooves ...  

i am working on how to best swage a heeled bullet myself ... i bet you have it figured out already ...  let me know, i think a heeled bullet has a lot of advantages ... ...

you got me interested in a 6mm gun again ... and mine will be a heeled rig ...  my fantasy is that it will be very accurate.

ken

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 11 September 2023

To longhunter,

Thanks for the info on NOE. I'm so tight with money, and I like to make things myself, but it may come down to having NOE make me up a custom mold. Lee used to make molds to the customers design, but I don't know if they do such anymore. A friend of mine and I had Lee make us some .375 molds, to our specifications but I can't remember how many that we had to order, seems like it was 25 and we never did sell all of them. I'm going to contact Lee and see what their requirements are now. If you don't have to purchase too many, I might do so and try to sell the rest on Ebay. Boy, that sounds like a non-profit operation, doesn't it. Although there must be some more tinkerers out there besides me.

thanks for the help,

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Hello Ken.

I have a setup, including the old horizontal press, to swage .22 bullets and jackets from fired .22 cases. Included with that bunch of stuff that I purchased there was a couple of die parts to swage 6MM. As I see it, the biggest problem in making swaging dies is the amount of lapping required to polish the insides to a point where the bullets won't stick in the die. Making cast iron lapping spuds is something with which, I have no experience. Due to those problems, and the fact that, I don't know how much time that I will be allowed to stay on the top of the ground, I think, I will go the cast route. Swaging bullets is fun though. You and I have the same urges to make things ourselves, and to me that is as much fun as the actual shooting. You and I would fit in with the Schutzenfest guys, ,for they are mostly a bunch of the old machinist's type. The last time I swaged any .22 bullets, I stuck a bullet in one of my pointing dies and wasn't able to remove it, but I have more pointing dies.

All of this brings me to this question. Didn't you advertise some bare Lee mold blocks a while back? Like you said a powder coated bullet doesn't need lube grooves, so a cherry wouldn't be very hard to make for such a bullet.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 11 September 2023

mr. mashburn ... yep, got some blank lee molds ... got a care pak headed your way soon anyway. pm me if ... 

...  lead doesn't stick to aluminum ... make a swage die from aluminum ... harder than lead, you know .... should be good for a thousand swages ... then you will be bored anyway ...  ha.

ken

Attached Files

Ken,

In lots of the pictures, of loaded .25 ammo that was made from hornet brass, appear to not have heeled bullets. I don't think accuracy would be very good unless you set the barrel back and made a chamber reamer to rechamber for such a cartridge. Matter of fact, one fellow took his ammo out to the range and showed the target results, which were fired at 30 yds. They were not very impressive, to put it mildly.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Aaron posted this 11 September 2023

Old West Bullet Molds can cut you a mold.

https://oldwestbulletmoulds.com/help

With rifle in hand, I confidently go forth into the darkness.

Attached Files

.22-10-45 posted this 11 September 2023

Just curious..what ctg. do you need a heeled .25 bullet for?

Attached Files

To-.22-10-45,

It is a Marlin pump action in .25 Stevens RF that I purchased, when I was 16 and traded off when I was 17. I traded because the 100 rounds of ammo that I got with it were gone, and I couldn't find any more. I traded it to my High School basketball coach and have been trying to get it back for the last several years. He has finally agreed to do so. I plan on converting it to center fire and make cases from .22 Hornet brass. I may be setting a record, for the length of time between a trade on one gun, between two people. It's been 63 years since our first trade on this rifle.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Bud Hyett
.22-10-45 posted this 11 September 2023

I too have a .25 Stevens rimfire.  Mine is on a Ballard action.  I have  made cases for it using .22 Hornet brass.  The .25 Stevens was termed a "modern" type loading in that unlike most other rimfire ctg. Of the time period, it was inside lubed...meaning it was not a heeled type bullet.  My bore groove dia is .257"  I purchased the NOE 260-63 FN mould.  The bullet is a perfect fit.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • mashburn
mashburn posted this 12 September 2023

Hello .22-10-45,

You just brightened my day about 100%, by finding out that the .25 Stevens isn't a heeled bullet. It has been sixty-three years since I had my little rifle and I remembered it to be a heeled cartridge. I guess over that length of time, I have an excuse to forget. I noticed in the videos, that their cartridges appeared to be loaded with non-heeled bullets. I just thought they didn't have the proper heeled mold and was loading with what they had available. I guess, I should have gotten out "Cartridges of the World"and do some checking and not trust my memory. that is going to make this project so much easier.

Thank you very much,

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Close