Howdy

• Last Post 25 December 2023
LeverGunner posted this 17 November 2023

Howdy. I've been browsing here and see some familiar faces. I'm Bazoo over on the castboolits forum. But for those that don't know me, my interests are handguns, rifles, casting and reloading. I also have a strong interest in knives, camping, hunting, and fishing.

I prefer revolvers, such as my Ruger Blackhawk 44 Special, pictured with my favorite knife, a Buck 192.

https://postimg.cc/H8wqwLBZ

For rifles, I like anything vintage, classic, or wood and steel, with a preference for lever actions such as  my Winchester 92.

https://postimg.cc/8sBwQSt3

I am an avid caster and reloader, so much so that I started my own webapp to catalog cast bullets, bulletmatch.com I hope that it helps everyone in the cast bullet community. I know that it's been a heck of a lot of fun collecting bullets and cartridges. I love the history behind each bullet and company.

https://postimg.cc/9zkK4Fdh

I've read here off and on for years, as my searching has brought me to this board, and I appreciate everyone who contributes of their time and knowledge to preserve and better the cast bullet community.

Post script,

I tried inserting images, but they weren't accepted. I tried direct link and hotlink, and neither worked.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
OU812 posted this 18 November 2023

Welcome! I really like that 44special Ruger...i almost purchased one awhile back.

File was too large after downloading to picture files, Had to resize smaller to upload into forum.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • LeverGunner
  • sluggo
MarkinEllensburg posted this 18 November 2023

Welcome!

Not only are your images too large for the forum software to render correctly you are trying the wrong URL for your image. The URL you typed or copy?paste above goes to the page with the image viewer of the site your images are hosted on. Rather you should be using the URL for just the image.If you click share and choose the second option (this only applies to OP's image host) it will give you the URL for the image. Paste that into the middle line of our image upload dialog box and click ok, then Bam image is posted inline. If it is too big it will overwhelm the reply pane. Resize original and try again.  Our forum soft ware has a rather small image size limitation, I don't recall the particulars. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • LeverGunner
LeverGunner posted this 18 November 2023

Thank you for the information.

Yeah, I love my Blackhawk. I dropped the XR3 grip frame and added the stainless XR3-RED frame. I also swapped out the hammer as the ears on the grip frame didn't match the factory hammer. Other than that it's basically stock. I get some decent accuracy from it. This is 18 consecutive shots, with the first 6 being the right target. Disregard my 22 plinking holes.

Attached Files

I wish I had had the sense to document the grip frame fitting process. Alas, it didn't occur to me before I was nearly done. There will be others though... I have the notion for a  Blackhawk in 41 Magnum or 45 Colt now too. I think I like my Single Six with the aluminum grip frame for balance.

I couldn't find anything about it, so I'll ask here. Is it okay for me to put my website address in my signature, because I don't want to break any rules?

Attached Files

MarkinEllensburg posted this 18 November 2023

Forum Rules

Is your website closely related to cast bullet shooting? I am not an admin of the forum, perhaps you should contact one for permission first.

I converted my .45 Colt Blackhawk to a Bisley grip frame. It was a bunch of fitting requred work. I then purchased a set of aftermarket plastic stocks. Have a set of blanks roughed out in birdseye maple but haven't gone much farther. The Bisley grip shape and a trigger job has improved my ability to shoot the revolver. Just not enough time to shoot them all. Maybe this will be the winter I finish that project and post pics. I also have a .41 Mag that I may do the same to in the future.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • LeverGunner

Yeah, you could say bulletmatch.com is cast bullet related, I'm cataloging cast bullets. It's my passion. It's basically a bullet version of cartridges of the world. I started collecting by my own needs to substitute bullets based on used case volume/weight. Then I started learning about all the history of bullets and their design and it just snowballed from there.

I never cared for the aesthetics of bisley grip frames/hammers, but I've been using a single six for 20 years and that's what feels right. Fitting grip frames is fun... ain't it? I must have taken mine off 100 times to get it right. I never did get it all the way perfect, I put it back together when I got it real close and decided to take a break from fitting for a few days... 2 years ago. I've been carrying it ever since. Been thinking about breaking down and getting it all the way, but it's got some nice wear now.

Not to mention i have some other stuff going on, with a new 1886 in 45-70 coming my way. Not sure if I'll be able to live with the safety or not. Never loaded 45-70 before. I'm starting with some of Matt's bullets Matts 458 365 RF since I don't have a mould yet. I borrowed dies from a friend, and he gifted me a small amount of brass to get started. Should be a fun project.

Post Script,

I have found out that the base to crimp measurement for the Lyman 457124 is .513 with weight of 385 grains, and for my Matt's bullet it's .530 with a weight of 365 grains. I don't have a sample of the Lyman unfortunately, but I was able to find the information I need at buffaloarms.

Attached Files

Aaron posted this 18 November 2023

Not to mention i have some other stuff going on, with a new 1886 in 45-70 coming my way. Not sure if I'll be able to live with the safety or not.

I have found the tang safety to be a nice PC addition to the rifle. It slides very quietly allowing one to cock the hammer when things are going to be active, but have the safety on to prevent a discharge for whatever reason. When the game gets real close and you are hunting for a usable sight picture, you can slip the safety off and begin caressing the trigger without spooking game. Nice feature on the Miruko rifle.

Bear in mind, the 45-90 Miruko rifle has correct period rifling of 1:20 to stabilize the 330gr Gould Express bullet. I'm not sure what the 45-70 has but I bet it will be 1:20 as well. The overriding bullet restriction in the 1886 is the C.O.A.L. to allow feeding through the action. My 45-90 feeds and shoots the Lee 405gr FP extremely well, as it does the Lyman 330gr Express HP bullet.

With BP or smokeless, shooting this rifle is a real hoot! Enjoy yours when she arrives.

With rifle in hand, I confidently go forth into the darkness.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • LeverGunner
  • Ken Campbell Iowa
OU812 posted this 18 November 2023

The square back trigger guard was always my favorite, but you could only get with longer target/hunter barrel.

New Model SUPER BLACKHAWK...now that is a pistol...I WANT ONE.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • LeverGunner
LeverGunner posted this 19 November 2023

Thanks. I am not sure what the rifling twist is, I will check it though, likely tomorrow. Taking pictures for my website has taken over my reloading room, so I'll have to work around that for some ammo. I'll probably just set up outside on a nice day. I think I have 40 or 50 pieces of brass for it, all new, so I guess I'll get into trimming and everything. I can get to all my gear with the camera and lights set up to get it out at least. I hate having to break down while I'm in the middle of doing bullet pics and I've got over 500 I'm working on so it'll take me a bit before I'm at a stopping point.

Attached Files

LeverGunner posted this 19 November 2023

I never did like the Super Blackhawk hammer. It pinches my hand when cocking with my off hand thumb. I don't mind the square trigger guard, but I prefer the round aesthetically. I've had a 4 5/8" Super Blackhawk and it has the standard sized grip frame, I swapped in a standard BlackHawk hammer and it suited me just fine. I ended up swapping it and getting the 44 Special BlackHawk I have now, so... no real point in that other than thats what I wanted.

Attached Files

LeverGunner posted this 25 December 2023

Not to mention i have some other stuff going on, with a new 1886 in 45-70 coming my way. Not sure if I'll be able to live with the safety or not.

I have found the tang safety to be a nice PC addition to the rifle. It slides very quietly allowing one to cock the hammer when things are going to be active, but have the safety on to prevent a discharge for whatever reason. When the game gets real close and you are hunting for a usable sight picture, you can slip the safety off and begin caressing the trigger without spooking game. Nice feature on the Miruko rifle.

Bear in mind, the 45-90 Miruko rifle has correct period rifling of 1:20 to stabilize the 330gr Gould Express bullet. I'm not sure what the 45-70 has but I bet it will be 1:20 as well. The overriding bullet restriction in the 1886 is the C.O.A.L. to allow feeding through the action. My 45-90 feeds and shoots the Lee 405gr FP extremely well, as it does the Lyman 330gr Express HP bullet.

With BP or smokeless, shooting this rifle is a real hoot! Enjoy yours when she arrives.

Very nice rifle. I love the long loading gate on the 86. 

Attached Files

Close