Groundhog Shoot Rsults May '17

• Last Post 25 May 2018
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 02 June 2017

Plain Base Is Back !   These are the results of the plain base groundhog shoot ending 31may17 .  Hope everybody had a little fun with this !!  results are grouped by iron and scopes ... notice that irons did fine !

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Scearcy posted this 02 June 2017

This is a great opportunity to review a number of loads in several different calibers. Note that only 1 target out of 30 was shot using a filler! One of the two perfect scores was shot using a bare foot GC bullet. The other was with a plain base design.

Attached Files

Maven posted this 02 June 2017

Jim, I hope we do this again as it was great fun!

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 03 June 2017

I second those sentiments!  It was a lot of fun and will gladly participate again.

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 03 June 2017

All:  Great fun and a big thanks to Jim. Re-runs would be great.

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 03 June 2017

Talk about load comparisons: Jim and I both shot rem 700's   30-06. Mine will not shoot light bullets, I tried. 2" at 100yds was best I could do and often much larger. 195 to 220 gr shoot very well. sub moa if I do my part. The 247 gr. was an experiment. This whole cast bullet environment has been a pleasurable learning experience.   Ross

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 03 June 2017

For the record, I am sure that I had more fun than anyone with the GH shoot.  I didn't even own a PB mold before we started.  Now I am thinking that I need two more. I has been absolutely great that a number of us have found a fun area of common interest. I have enjoyed the side conversations as least as much as the actual shoot.

Ken Campbell, the instigator, came up with this idea originally. He also has done a bunch of work behind the scenes. Many thanks Ken.

Yes we will do a GH shoot again! I originally thought the target would be too easy but it wasn't. It gave us flexibility to shoot the rifle and position we wanted. Did you notice that there is an 88 shot with a Trapdoor and black powder? Where else can we see that!

Some shooters have asked about 100 yards.  I don't think we would want to replace the 50 yard shoot with the longer distance but I don't see any reason we couldn't do both. 100 yards would get pretty sporty if we kept the position requirements the same. We would probably find that 50 was not a bad score at 100 yd but I'll bet a couple of our aces would still shoot in the 90s. I do believe the scopes would beat the irons at that distance. smile

Personally I would like to try a set of African safari sticks shot standing.

What do you think?

Jim

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ross Smith
Scearcy posted this 22 May 2018

I am posting hear only to bring this post to the present. We are down to the last week of the 2018 shoot so soon there will be a posting of this years results.

Jim

Attached Files

Dukem posted this 22 May 2018

Finally got my ammo loaded on a rainy day yesterday. Long Hunter and I have to get together in the next couple of days to shoot it. Last year we were at my range, this year we'll use his. I like having a witness and co-competitor pushing me.

Duke

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 22 May 2018

... gotta mention that i am having a great time checking out the targets and gauging the near hits and near misses ... brings back memories of my serious competition days ....

the targets and the data sheets each tell me a little story and ..... almost like being there and watching the grins and hearing the groans  ......   thanks for this opportunity !!

ken

Attached Files

Dukem posted this 25 May 2018

Ken, I mailed my targets out this morning. I forgot to put a note on the report sheet about position, which was prone with X sticks. Of course not jammed into the ground, no prongs at all.

Duke

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 25 May 2018

... isn't it funny how time flies when you take on 2 or 3 more things than you planned for ... my self, i have loaded and shot about 300 rounds trying things and switching scopes, etc ... and ( shame  angry )  .... haven't actually shot any targets yet .... heck, got 4 more days ...  maybe nights with a flashlight ... 

i have very few friends who understand this strange thing i do ... guess which friends i spend most time with ?? ...

ok, will seek out a groundhog this evening  ... i can get the 50 yards in my back yard ... another nice thing about this event .

ken 

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 25 May 2018

oh, on the tech form we forgot to ask what position you shot from .... also, we didn't ask for your nick name ... so if any of you shooters didn't remember to note your position, please pm me ... and who you are, i only have your real names.  no big deal, the other tech stuff is the major interest.  thanks.

or email if easier  ... [email protected]

ken

Attached Files

loophole posted this 25 May 2018

I decided to shoot my reworked 1886 Winchester and my Shiloh sharps '74, both in 40-65. Three weeks ago I got a couple of loads worked up, but then failures in my 71 year old body and working on an ark have kept me away from the range to shoot the match targets.  With luck I'll go to the range tomorrow and shoot 20 rounds for record, then mail the targets.

Steve K

Attached Files

Close