Fouling Shot article

• Last Post 15 June 2021
beemer posted this 13 June 2021

I would like to thank Mark Humphreville for the article, It Don't Go Bang, it was a real eye opener. The members here who have worked in the firearms industry are a great source of info. Seems a lot of us don't realize the R&D that goes into product that we take for granted.

I worked in furniture manufacturing all my life, mostly in product development, trouble shooting, carving, and finish parts. The worst part is the attitude that quality is what we say it is and of course the short order cooks.

Thanks

Dave

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 13 June 2021

I was a very good read, and filed for future inspiration. 

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 14 June 2021

Amen. Fantastic article.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 14 June 2021

As someone who has been shooting my own reloads for over 60 years, storing primers same as bullets, and still waiting for the first misfire that wasn't caused by me putting the primer in upside down, the most striking part of the article to me was his primer storage recommendations.  

John

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
GBertolet posted this 14 June 2021

I really enjoyed his article also.

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 15 June 2021

I remember shooting and CLEANING after Corrosive primed ammo in the 1950s-1960's. I think I was cleaning guns even before I learned to shoot.

Dad was a Absolute Bear about proper cleaning. But we never fired Corrosive primered ammo in an auto-loading gun.  Boy Howdy did I learn to clean bolt rifles after.  I think I could still strip an 03 bolt in my sleep.

Fast forward 20+ yrs. I was given several boxes of WW2 steel-cased .45ACP ammo. I fired it in My M1937 Brazilian S&W .45ACP Revolver. Thought I was real slick, it was easier than clean then a 1911. Cleaned up real quick when I got home from the range. Used some old G.I. solvent from the old green can.

Fast forward a month, back to the range with the old Smith.  Brought some std .45AR ammo to shoot in it.

Uh Oh !?   

The Blasted hammer Would NOT Cock it was froze solid. I had forgotten about primer leakage from that OLD Corrosive ammo. Fortunately I had some Kroil on hand. Soaked down the whole revolver, it easily came apart the next day.  Luckily no harm was done. A Lesson to remember. 

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

2kbill posted this 15 June 2021

Particularly liked the info about off-center primer strikes.  I have two Savage 12's, one that strikes dead center on the primer and one that is waaay off center.  Guess which one shoots best?  Of course, there were other variables (barrel condition being foremost) so I'm not drawing any conclusions - but it was something I hadn't even considered.  Thought provoking article, hope the author writes more.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • JeffinNZ
max503 posted this 15 June 2021

That is a "must read" article.  I wonder how many 22 rimfire brands get a bad name because of fouled shootin' irons?

Attached Files

Close