Feeding my .45 Colt 1860 Henry (Uberti)

• Last Post 18 July 2022
GregT posted this 14 July 2022

(This discussion is a bit ahead of time, but in so doing, I hope someone might have done some work with this rifle...)

I have had this rifle for a number of years and have shot it now and then with an anemic load of Trail Boss (tm). I have used the last of these reloads up, never again to waste my time with this load. I phoned Hodgdon this morning and asked for a load of Triple 7 (FFg granulation) that I could use in the .45 Colt casing along with a 250 grain RNFP bullet lubed with my 50/50 lube for the Model 1860 Henry (Uberti mfg). I received two loads: a 35 grain charge to use with 200 grain lead SWC bullets, and a 30 grain charge to use with the 250 grain lead slugs.

I have several cans of this propellant in both 3F and 2F granulation. Anyone else familiar with the original 1860 Henry and loads for it?

Thanks,

GregT

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
davemarkowitz posted this 14 July 2022

From what I've read about Triple 7 in cartridges you should closely follow the manufacturer's instructions. AFAIK, Triple 7 should not  be compressed.

I have an Uberti 1860 Henry military model (stamped US and is fitted for a sling). However, mine is in .44-40.

I mostly shoot black powder handloads in it:

• Accurate Molds 43-215C bullet lubed with 50/50 beeswax/mutton tallow. From my alloy it weighs 219 grains.
  • 1.9cc (~28 grains) of 3Fg black powder. Most of the time I use 3Fg but I've used 2Fg.
  • 1/8" thick Circle Fly nitro card to take up any air space. I formerly used 0.5cc of cornmeal but the cards are easier.
  • Starline brass
  • CCI or Federal LPP

This approximates original .44 Henry ballistics and should give ~1150 FPS MV.

I also load full power BP but leave out the card and use 2.2cc (~35 grains) of BP. This is slightly compressed, which is beneficial with real BP. With Swiss 3Fg powder they cronographed over 1300 FPS from my Uberti 1873 Sporting Rifle, which has the same barrel length as the Henry.

One thing I've read about but never tried myself is fire forming .44-40 brass in .45 Colt chambers for loading with black powder. The thinner .44-40 brass better seals the chamber to prevent fouling from getting back into the action.

In my experience, when shooting black powder .38-40 or .44-40 the thin brass keeps all the fouling out of the action.

--- Dave Markowitz

Attached Files

Aaron posted this 16 July 2022

Here is a link to the Hodgdon data they used in their reply to you. A little digging on your part will yield a cornucopia of useful data.

https://hodgdon.com/resources/data-sheets/

With rifle in hand, I confidently go forth into the darkness.

Attached Files

Bryan Austin posted this 18 July 2022

The 1860 was loaded with a 200gr to 216gr lead bullet and 26gr to 28gr of black powder with a velocity of about 1,125fps (Winchester Model 1866).

Original Henry Velocities in the 66" (not sure about the 60") was 1,125fps per Winchester's 1873 catalog. Winchester said...“The effect of this change [from 44 Henry to the 44-40] is to increase the initial velocity of the arm from about 1,125 f.p.s. to 1,325 feet per second."

In order to replicate the 1860 44 Henry ballistics, you would have to load the 250gr bullet to get a velocity of about 1,006fps.

You may never be able to replicate actually trajectories at a specific velocity unless you use 200gr 45 caliber bullets. It gets close to comparing apples and oranges.

Also, the 45 Colt will not seal the chamber as good as the 44-40, especially if you light'n the load even further. Expect a real dirty chamber.

Attached Files

Close