Conundrum

• Last Post 12 October 2023
alco posted this 02 September 2023

My 686+ will shoot 50 (  number differs each time  ) or more rounds with very solid strikes on the primers and then all of a sudden will come a light  strike.  The next rounds are also very solid strikes.  It may not do it again for several hundred rounds.  What's causing this ?  Is it something that I can fix ?

Some times when I'm dry firing I'll feel and hear a light strike !!!!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Duane Mellenbruch posted this 02 September 2023

Any chance the hammer block lever is dry or gunked up and not moving freely? 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
OU812 posted this 02 September 2023

My 686 also did this. Make sure all screws are tight. The smaller spring screw especially. I forget what they call this screw, but it sounds like it has backed out a tad. A tad is all it takes to cause your problem.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
OU812 posted this 02 September 2023

I believe the screw is located at the forward bottom edge of grip. The one piece hogue grips cover up this screw. So remove the one piece grip to access this screw. The two piece wood grips allow easy access to this spring tension screw.

Attached Files

Shuz posted this 03 September 2023

My 686 also did this. Make sure all screws are tight. The smaller spring screw especially. I forget what they call this screw, but it sounds like it has backed out a tad. A tad is all it takes to cause your problem.
I believe this screw is called the strain relief screw and can be very instrumental in getting proper hammer spring tension. As OU812 posted, if this screw has backed out, it  will cause  light  hammer strikes  and reduced trigger pull weight.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Eutectic posted this 04 September 2023

You cannot judge the primer strikes on fired rounds. The primer backs out on firing. soak some primers in light oil, deactivating them. With these you can judge the primer strike indent for amount and place of indent. Non-centered indents cause problems and may occur on only one chamber.

Since the problem in infrequent have you considered the case? I have found some 38 Special cases with thin rims creating excessive headspace.

Yes, check the strain screw. The answer is clean with acetone apply Lock tight and seat it firmly. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
ALYMAN#1 posted this 11 October 2023

If you are using a later 686 with the frame mounted firing pin, it could be old lube in the recess, also.  In using a 686-6 with the frame pin, I finally replaced the pin with an after market pin and spring supposed to be slightly longer and had no more problems.

Good luck.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Rich/WIS posted this 12 October 2023

Is it possible you had a primer that wasn't bottomed in the primer pocket.  Other possibility is a primer with a slightly harder cup. If it was a spring issue it would not be an intermittent issue. You didn't say it it was in single action or double action, the shorter hammer fall in double action will not strike the primer with as much force as single action.

Attached Files

Close