Cast bullets in a .30-30 Savage Model 99 Deluxe takedown rifle.

• Last Post 26 June 2023
GregT posted this 19 June 2023

I just picked this rifle up in a local gunshop where it had been sitting for quite awhile. No one recognized it as a take down model 99 Savage. I'm wondering how they shoot? As with most take down firearms, the barrel is fairly easily removed from the receiver by hand,, but can be tightened to fairly tight by hand. I would expect reasonable hunting accuracy. The rifle was made in 1932 and is fairly tight as it is. Bore is mirror. Have not checked bore diameter yet..Thanks!

GregT

Hayward, Wi

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 19 June 2023

Well, I won three CBA postal lever gun matches about 15 years ago with a 1928 vintage model 99B, takedown standard weight barrel. Bullet was the H&G 175 grain flat-nose gas check, almost of copy of the Ideal 31141, using 14 grains of A2400. Rifle has a Lyman peep sight and bead front. 

Bought the rifle off of an Indian fishing boat in Tacoma, WA, with the ears broken on the stock, but very good mechanicals, $45. Left the soldered wire stock repair but reinforced everything with epoxy, ugly but a great shooter. 

Attached Files

GregT posted this 19 June 2023

Hello Ric!

This was a two owner rifle--the original owner and myself. Taking the buttstock off, I found the internals bone dry and I lubed with a good anti-friction oil. Thanks for the note.Greg T.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • RicinYakima
Wilderness posted this 19 June 2023

Greg

My 99 (marked 1899) was sold in 1922 as a takedown .22 HP. All I got was the action with some parts missing. I rebuilt it with a Savage 24" replacement barrel. The barrel is interesting in that it has six grooves, with grooves and lands of equal width, like an Enfield but with six grooves. Twist is 12". The barrel was for a takedown, but I shimmed it slightly so it could be pulled up as a solid frame fitting. You could tighten any Savage 99 takedown the same way.

My rifle shoots exceedingly well with Sierra 150 or 170 gn bullets and 748 powder, less so with other jacketed bullets or other powder. Best five shot group with scope on 7X has been under an inch at 100 meters, with average more like 1.5" for the 748/Sierra loads. With peep sight and younger eyes I was getting about 1" at 50 meters. The listed maximum load of LeveRevolution powder with the 170 gn Sierra bullet achieves the full 2300 fps and has averaged 2.1" at 100 m (3 groups, 36.3 gns).

Current loads with 176 gn cast HP bullets and LeveRevolution powder have averaged 2.82" at 2180 fps (11 groups, 32 gns) and 3.56" at 2302 fps (2 groups, 34 gns). Alloy is a bit harder than #2. Bullet is #321297HP sized down from .322" to .312". Bullet length is 1.025" and bearing length .700". Cases are ONT to .010" max neck thickness (just rubs off the high spots), leaving about .001" or so neck clearance. COL is 2.500" to ensure reliable feed.

Lining up the velocities, my loads get there with about 2 gns less powder than Larry Gibson's loads for a soft #311041 bullet - which is why I have noted bullet dimensions and loading practice.

Headspace can be a little loose on the 99 as well. I leave .025" between the bottom of my Lyman FLS die and the shell holder. This ensures the rifle is headspacing firmly on the shoulder, to the point of closing with a little nip. With this setup, cases lengthen about .002" or .003" per shot for the 2200 fps load. For the first shot or two with new or once fired brass, I fire them with a headspacing circlip under the rim made of copper electrical wire - just single load them and leave a big enough gap for the extractor.

Forend fit may also be important. When Martini Cadet conversions were all the rage over here, the rule used to be to bed the forend solidly to the barrel, then make sure there was no actual contact between the back of the forend and the action, even if it looked like a hairline fit. I set my rifle up this way and it seems to work.

Edit: My solid forend replaces the original forend-with-iron which I never had. A misbehaving takedown might be "fixed" with a spare forend mounted solidly, with or without some minimal shimming of the barrrel to action fit.

Picture herewith. Sorry about the livestock intruding.

Attached Files

gnoahhh posted this 19 June 2023

Takedown Savages can shoot very well indeed, as long as a couple key features are addressed. The barrel must bear firmly and simultaneously at two points, the face of the receiver and the C-ring at the breech end. Screw thread sloppiness isn't really much of a factor as long as those conditions are met. The next thing is the keyway slot(s) in the barrel and receiver - they must line up perfectly when the barrel is indexed/tightened, and the lug on the fore end iron must fit precisely into the slot. If all those conditions are met the gun should shoot well. If overlooked, then spotty or nonexistent accuracy is the reward.

These things were mix-and-match fitted at the factory by the final assembly folks, as well as bolts which were made in varying lengths for the same reason. This was done purposely to save money and aggravation in the machining processes up to that point. Less persnickety tolerance adherence meant faster production. That's why it is a losing crap-shoot to expect orphan barrels and bolts to fit a given receiver. I've pulled hair, cussed and swore, and cussed some more to make replacement/spare barrels fit these guns. After a winning combination of barrel and bolt was achieved, the rifle was passed on to the shipping department. (Bolts were universal for all the cartridges chambered in these guns.)

Side note: don't try to lighten trigger pulls unless you know precisely what you're doing. The sear geometry is very subtle and many a 99 has been frahundst'ed by Bubbas thinking they knew better than the skilled hands at the Savage factory.

Favorite loads, interchangeable between .30-30 and .303 Savage (nearly identical case capacities): Hunting- 190gr. gas checked flat nose, bhn 10-12, sized to fit the throat, over 28.0gr. 3031 for an even 2000fps out of a 24" barrel. (Bullet is an old custom Saeco, designed by Sid Musselman CBA Charter Member 40+ years ago.) Accurate and a real deer thumper. Target: same bullet or an ancient 180 RN from NEI Walt Melander + 15gr. 4759. Plinker: 155gr, (#311241) + 5gr. Bullseye.

Attached Files

GregT posted this 24 June 2023

Thanks for the info on this rifle. Do carry cases for this rifle ever show up? (Just in case I might want to carry this on a train going to a shooting range somewhere! )

GregT

Hayward, Wi

Attached Files

gnoahhh posted this 26 June 2023

Thanks for the info on this rifle. Do carry cases for this rifle ever show up? (Just in case I might want to carry this on a train going to a shooting range somewhere! )

GregT

Hayward, Wi

I simply use takedown shotgun cases for Savage takedowns. Boyt makes a nice padded canvas and leather shotgun case.

Attached Files

Close