AR Platform ... and the 35 Mighty Mo ...

• Last Post 21 October 2021
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 18 October 2021

so stopping by our local range to help a friend sight in his new x-bolt Browning 270 Win,. ( nice gun ) ... i spied a guy a couple benches over with some serious hardware ... although he did have one gun in a Creedmore ...

including finally a little black plastic rifle that was cycling fine but not making much noise or recoil even without a supressor.

my plinker ears perked right up so i chatted with him a bit when he was packing up ...  the AR was a mix of parts, but most interesting was the homegrown cartridge he had come up with ...

35 Mighty Mo .....  a 223 case shortened and necked to 357 ...  case looked about 1.3 long, and he said he used Lil Gun ....  he was using i believe Hornady 200 gr Flex Tips ...  

the little black rifles have never attracted me but this modernized version of my fun little 30 m1 carbine keeps popping into my thoughts ...

and i have a new 358 barrel ...

ken

upper lowers buffers ... ??? ...

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
harleyrock posted this 18 October 2021

I have never heard a quiet load of L'il Gun.

Lifetime NRA since 1956, NRA Benefactor, USN Member, CBA Member

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 19 October 2021

Shades of the 35 or 351 Win Self Loading ctg of 1903/1907.

what with relatively light powder charge, one could say it is a bit "quieter". 

One of several 35 cal wildcats that have been done on the 223 brass

before the "350 Legend" came out in a deliberately modified case rather

than the easily made ones that were made from 223 brass

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ken Campbell Iowa
MP1886 posted this 20 October 2021

Winchester knew very well what they had to do with a straight wall case and that was taper it.  They did this for two reasons. One was better feeding and the other more important easier extraction.  AR's don't like really straight walled cartridges. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ken Campbell Iowa
JohnForrest posted this 21 October 2021

That's one for the odd ball AR section. I like it.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 21 October 2021

yeah, on the cartridge ....   i was thinking he had created a 357 Fireball ...  wildcats kinda lost their glamour for me about 40 years ago ...  although i did build a 243 A Imp about 2000 year ...

it got me more interested in how he got the AR to cycle with it ...  maybe adjustable gas block and lighter springs and ?? ... i hope he comes back and i will bug him with AR Noobie questions.

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
MP1886 posted this 21 October 2021

The adjustable gas blocks are dependent on the size of the gas port hole.  Then they regulate that, but only in the "less" position because they sure and heck can't make more gas available then what the gas port hole gives. Now to answer your question he probably moved the gas port hole very close to the chamber.  I had a friend that did that when he chambered an AR 15 to 7.62x25 Tokarev and another guy did a 10mm pistol round. Both don't make enough gas volume to operate even a carbine length gas system. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
  • JohnForrest
Close