A BPCR Postal?

• 16K Views
  • Last Post 22 September 2013
Tom Acheson posted this 23 January 2013

Looking for anyone who has experience participating in the CBA Postal program that might have an interest in a new event.

The gun to be used would be a rifle that fits the NRA rules for their Black Powder Cartridge Rifle (BPCR) silhouette game. These are hunting or military style single shots originally made for use with black powder (including modern manufacture replicas), with an exposed hammer, American manufactured prior to 1896, and weighs no more than 12-pounds 2-ounces with iron sights or 15-pounds with a scope. Scope must have external adjustments, ¾” dia. or smaller and no limitation on magnification. Bullets must be cast lead, plain based. Powder is black powder or Pyrodex but no smokeless powder in any quantity which excludes duplex loads. Rifle examples include Ballard, Maynard, Peabody, Remington Hepburn, Remington Rolling Block, Sharps, Springfield trapdoor, Stevens No. 44, and 1885 Winchester. No Schuetzen-style rifles. There are other examples but I need to keep this short for now.

We would shoot from the ground, either sitting or prone, using cross sticks. The distance would be 200-yards. The target would be a NRA chicken silhouette on paper (still thinking if it will be a reduced size because in a regular match this is the only one of the 4 animal shapes that must be shot at from the offhand position). The course of fire would be 10-rounds. Full bullet strikes on the target would be score as a point. There will be a 1” white center “dot” that would be used to break ties where incomplete bullet strikes would count and would be worth 2-points. Firing time will 12-minutes to shoot as many sighters as you want and still shoot your 10-record rounds, just like in a regular match.

What ALWAYS happens when someone dreams something like this up, there will ALWAYS be someone who says “yes but can I __”. That's OK and I'd entertain trying to answer questions but this game is intended for those of us who have NRA compliant guns that enjoy the BPCR silhouette game but have limited access to a 500-meter range. The gun, loads, allowed shooting times and shooting position are what the competitor would be using in a regular match. Having said that, by tweaking and expanding and bending the base concept we lose the core aspect of the game.

If the response is large enough, we'll try to put something together as a trial season. At the beginning this would be a one-match thing. Strong interest might lead us into doing it as a seasonal (4-times a year) event in subsequent years.

Tom

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
jeff houck posted this 22 September 2013

I just now found this thread. There isn't enough time to get a target in the mail, so I'll just have to count myself in for next year.

I do need to buy a couple of targets now though. I drop a check in the mail. $.75/target plus how much for postage?

Jeff Houck

Attached Files

4060may posted this 20 September 2013

OK

Trying my best not to Whine ', 'images/emoticons/134.gif')>document.write('/images/emoticons/134.gif');

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 19 September 2013

Lets change the rules next year and allow spotters? You can in the regulation NRA match. Don't know why I did that!

Tom

Attached Files

4060may posted this 19 September 2013

Shot mine today of course a storm was on the way

I don't think I will do this again, if a spotter is not allowed

Too old to get up and down to look thru the scope..and I do not have a 45deg scope that works for me

in the mail

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 18 September 2013

Shot mine last Thursday. It's not as easy of the X-sticks as it is off the bench. Sticks are stabbed into the ground and if you don't get them in the same starting position each time, point of impact can vary. Also helps to reduce any drag between the barrel and the sticks.

Starline has both lengths of .38-55 brass. Buddy of mine is ordering a .38-55 Highwall and is specing the longer brass. Read somewhere that if you use the shorter stuff, the necks might have to be turned but that comment should be verified. About an 1/8” difference.

Tom

Attached Files

nimrod posted this 18 September 2013

The longer lenght is the original case, hard to find but Starline does make it and it's thinner more like the originals. The shorter has a thicker neck as made by Winchester and Remington if they still make it.

This something that you might have to contend with if shooting a original rifle as the chambers and bore and groove size are all over the place.

Black powder! The mother of all powders! That other stuff is just a passing fancy!

RB

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 18 September 2013

NIMROD; noticed you are working with a 38-55 ... we here are building a 38-55 in a 94 win. ... we find there are two lengths of 38-55 brass ... any ideas what gives with that ?

so far we haven't achieved accuracy desired, and the case length variance just adds to our confusion. we shall overcome ...eventually.

fwiw, blackpowder loads shoot great ... smokeless not so good ! so cool !

ken

Attached Files

nimrod posted this 17 September 2013

Time is getting close on this one I recieved one target yesterday. Hope some others are still shooting this one. I loaded up some 38-55's today now the dang wind is suppose to blow 20 to 30 mph the next couple of days maybe it'll calm down next week.

RB

Attached Files

4060may posted this 26 May 2013

Tom Just had to see if i could do it with iron sights,  1 sighter over the top of the head, 2 misses over 1 miss low left,  oops

By the way the turkey is 80yd hunter pistol size

make a cut-out and say paint on plastic table cloth, hits are easier to see

Attached Files

Ben Cartwright SASS posted this 28 March 2013

I would be interested in this. I don't have access to a 200 yard range at this time but have been thinking of dropping one of my clubs in order to join the Woburn Sportsmans Club where they do have a 200 yard range and I believe a CBA chapter.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 08 March 2013

Just in case you haven't scrolled down the 5-pages that this post has grown into, the targets are in and they are being sent to shooters that are entering this new Postal event.

Go to post #87 for entering/sign-up instructions that Mike has posted.

Good luck and have fun everyone!

Tom

Attached Files

PETE posted this 04 March 2013

SSShooter,

Ahhh.... It's a Turkey not a Chicken we'll be shooting at in the CBA Postal.

Pete

Attached Files

nimrod posted this 04 March 2013

The closest shot to the center of the white dot will be the tie breaker.

And welcome to the forum I just noticed that it was your first post.

RB

Attached Files

SSShooter posted this 04 March 2013

200yd is good. Suggest the standard ASSRA 200yd 25-ring target as the chicken will be too easy to hit at 200yd. The one white dot in the center will not be enough to break ties. Keep us “posted". ;)

Attached Files

303PV posted this 01 March 2013

What about Mauser 71 Martini Henry , Gras rifles?

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 01 March 2013

i am sending some $ for the bpc shoot, even tho i don't have a correct rifle ... i shot a bumble bee win. hi-wall 32-40 a long time ago, i have often tried to buy it since ... over $2K now, so i just ordered extra sighter targets ... ( g ) . wonder if my R3 45-70 would carry a whole 100 yards ... at 900 fps.

since we are conjuring up an honor system shoot, i keep seeing those great big bull targets by HOPPES at the local wally world ... that would make a standard target available to all of us here outlaws, no postage expense .... count me in also on the outlaw shoot ... ken

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 01 March 2013

Well since it's “off the record” I think a guy can shoot whatever he wants, at any distance available. It's just for fun. Doesn't count. If I don't have a gun that qualifies I won't send in my target, why bother the guy? But, I want an official target to shoot to get a taste and motivation to find a gun for next year. As far as I know this is open to non-members so this may bring in some new guys to the fold. My postal match order went in the mail today including the new #22. The postal matches are about as much fun as you can have for so little money.

Attached Files

.22-10-45 posted this 28 February 2013

Hello, tturner53..Off the record class..thats a neat idea. How about something for us guys who arn't so lucky to have 200yds at their disposal? Scaled down targets maybe? I know this is the CBA..but what about a rimfire class? The bullets are still (so far!) lead alloy! What I did for grins was take the original dimensions of the old chilled cast iron 1000yd. Creedmoor targets of the 1970's & scaled them down for 100yds. on heavy paper. I made both the early square & later round targets. The bull is 3.3” that might not sound so small..but looking thru iron sights..it looks like a pencil dot! The first time I tried them, I was using a 1930 BSA 12/15 martini match rifle shooting prone with iron sights. No sling or rest. I managed to keep quite a few in the black..it was a hoot..and I know it would be a fun match. Now this has been brought up in the ASSRA..with no results...but what about a class using cast bullets in those old single-shot rifles converted to varmint calibers in the 1930's thru late 40's? I think main reason no one in the ASSRA didn't go for it was their rule against the use of gas checks..though these old .22 centerfires can be shot with plain-base bullets. This would get alot of these old interesting guns gathering dust out of the closets and back into use. Rules could be for no bolt guns either iron or scope use.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 28 February 2013

"Tights in a wad” that's really neat! I gotta get out more!

My check is on the way this weekend. Should be a hoot!

Tom

Attached Files

nimrod posted this 28 February 2013

tturner53 I think that's great if enough people get interested there might be a whole new class. I know that at my club that there are several people that would like to shoot it but don't have BPCR rifles and probably are not going to spend the money to get one. So why not have another class or two? I have even thought about a military issue class and hunter class. No benchrest allowed shoot off cross sticks, prone, sitting, kneeling, shoot off the chunk, or rock or limb much as a hunting situation. Could make it a reentry. I'm talking about club level stuff here before somebody gets all riled up and gets their tights in a wad.

Richard

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close