BULLET WEIGHT

• 1.4K Views
  • Last Post 08 April 2012
CANADIAN BACON posted this 12 March 2012

HOWDY:D I have a situation with my Reproduction 1874 - 45/70. This rifle will use the 350 F/N bullet but will not shoot the 550 gr Postell bullet. I have been using 60gr 3f with Winchester primers. The barrel is a 1/20 twist . The bullet is tumbling and Iam disappointed:( The big bullet is a work of art and I would like to know how you/all get these big bullets down range with good results. Thanks

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 08 April 2012

Try Swiss 1 1/2 Fg and a milk carton wad under the bullet.

I am elated how clean Swiss 1 1/2 Fg burns.

Attached Files

2frogs posted this 08 April 2012

CANADIAN BACON wrote: HOWDY:D I rechecked the twist. It's 1/20

I think your 3 f is too fast...I use nothing but 1f for this postell and with pretty good results...i'm only shooting 100 yards and i get 2 to 3 inch groups which is good for me...good luck...

Attached Files

CANADIAN BACON posted this 16 March 2012

HOWDY:D I rechecked the twist. It's 1/20

Attached Files

dimebox posted this 15 March 2012

You might want to double check the rate of twist. I purchased a repro highwall a few years ago that was supposed to be 1 to 20 and it wouldn't stabilize the 535 gr. bullets I had. It turned out to be about 1 to ?38?. Thankfully it was advertised as 1 to 20 and they replaced the barrel. Shot great after that.

Attached Files

CANADIAN BACON posted this 14 March 2012

delmarskid1 wrote: I wish that was my bike. I have a BSA that I look at once in a while.

10/4

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 14 March 2012

I wish that was my bike. I have a BSA that I look at once in a while.

Attached Files

CANADIAN BACON posted this 14 March 2012

HOWDY:D I'll try your idea as soon as I get my order of powder. So do you own the Vincent under you handle?? Thanks Again

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 13 March 2012

My suggestion would be to cheat and put in 58g of FF and top with a card wad. Compress this about a 10th” at the most and then seat the bullet out till it mashes in just a little bit when closing the action. Use your blow tube in between each shot. I cheat and put 7g of reloader 7 on the bottom. Lights her up real swell and I never clean blow or get aggravated.

Attached Files

CANADIAN BACON posted this 12 March 2012

HOWDY:D Thanks for the reply. I'll take your advise and try 2f. I didn't think it would make a difference. I have much to learn about the B/P game :dude:

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 12 March 2012

Is the Postell a large enough diameter? Most folks go to 1 1/2F,2F, or cartridge grade when the heavy bullets are at play. I've had trouble when the lands get full of charcoal too. My rifle shoots 525's with the 18” twist. trapdoor 45-70's were 22” and shot 500's. You should be able to make it go. The Postell is a popular bullet. You may be able to find a friend who is shooting it well and borrow some to see what's up.

Attached Files

Close