Accuracy Problem

• 2.5K Views
  • Last Post 02 September 2012
Pigslayer posted this 21 February 2012

Took my Mosin to the range today with my first cast loads for that gun. Accurate 200gr GC bore rider. The first three shots grouped high & to the left at 25 yds. A million clicks later to the right & down & I'm still not zeroed. Bullets are landing wherever they land! Bore is clean . . . no leading. O.K. let's try some PPV 150 gr. jacketed. These shot pretty good at fifty yards with open sights mind you . . . 2” groups with cataract laden eyes. Couldn't get them zeroed. Conclusion . . . p**s poor scope. Bought a 2-7x32 AIM longe eye relief scope after reading a ton of reviews. But cheap is cheap . . . I knew better.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Buzzard Bill posted this 21 February 2012

I am working on a simular problem with my mosin with iron sights. I am finding the key to accuracy is the proper bullet sizing for your rifle and the speed of the bullet. I am still working on it but am making progress,this is part of the fun of it in finding the right load for each gun.

Attached Files

I know mine is a scope issue. I knew better than to buy that. My Mosin shot well at 50 yds with Privi Partisan ammo using open sights. I don't think it is either the cast or jacket ammo issue. I just bought a junk scope. The mounts are rock solid so I know it's not that. BSA makes a decent Long Eye Relief scope. I'll check those out.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 21 February 2012

Pigslayer: scope adjustment clicks are 1/4 inch at 100 yards, so at 50 yards they are 1/8 inch per click at 50 yards and 1/16 inch each per click  at 25 yards .  If your shots were hitting 4 inches to the left at 25 yards you would have to move the scope 64 clicks to the right to get the shots zeroed for windage.

Some scopes do not have that much range of adjustment and 100 clicks will damage some scopes.

If your scope came with instructions on collimation  using a “V” block,  try that after checking  your mount base alignment and ring installment. I make a simple “V” block using a cut Campbell's soup can and collimate the scope by rotating the scope in the “V” cuts and looking through the scope at a star or planet in the night sky. . Adjust the knobs so that the center of the X hairs does not move with rotation of the scope. That  resets the scope to the factory neutral setting.

I do this re-collimation procedure whenever a scope adjustment stops making sense and seems all over the place.  A scope that is not damaged internally should easily re-collimate and verify that the adjustment mechanism is not damaged. Sometimes a scope does get broken. Some scopes also have a dial ring locking screw that can become loose.

Gary

Attached Files

Well, the first three rounds grouped at about 1". After I tried to make adjustments there was no rhyme nor reason. I've zeroed a lot of scopes but this one has problems. I had this problem once before when I put a cheaper Bushnell on my 7MM Rem. Mag. All over the place . . . too much recoil. Wound up putting a 4x12 Nikon AO on it. No problems after that. I'm going to look for a nice 4X Burris to put on it. Looking at one on ebay now. Just gotta play with it. No one said that this was going to be easy . . . just fun!!

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 22 February 2012

:coffee   Ah, Nikon!  :cool: Nikon, Leupold, Weaver.... I guess you know by now!  That sure puts a damper on a range session. 

Attached Files

Buzzard Bill posted this 22 February 2012

Well don't bat an eye or draw that breath buy that scope.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 22 February 2012

Leupold shotgun scopes take a good licking and have a healthy eye relief.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 25 February 2012

Well, I bought a different scope for my Mosin. Gonna send the other one in for a replacement & put that on my handgun . . . maybe. Anyway, I really couldn't afford a Nikon, Leupold or Burris, etc. I bought a Bushnell Trophy 2-6x32 LER. Actually I've used Bushnell for over 30 years (not exclusively) & never had an issue. My first scope was a Bushnell 3-8x32 back in '73 which I put on my new Ruger M77. I don't know how many rounds I put through that rifle but it was a lot & the scope never varied. So anyway the scope has good reports so I'll give it a whirl. The price was good at $158.00 w/free shipping. Midway lists them at almost $180.00 plus shipping. Wish me luck.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 29 February 2012

Mounted my new Bushnell 2-6x32 on my Mosin last night . . . much better quality that that cheap piece of chinese junk. Like I said, I knew better. The Bushnell variable power ring is smooth & easy to operate. The eyepiece has a real nice, smooth focus adjustment and doesen't have to be readjusted when you change power. It even came with a set of Butler Creek “Flip Up” Scope caps. I use those same caps on my other scopes. Hoping for good range weather this weekend.

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 01 March 2012

:coffee   Ah, yes, wishing you luck!

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 01 July 2012

hunterspistol wrote: :coffee   Ah, yes, wishing you luck!

I have gotten used to & really like the Bushnell LER scope in the Scout configuration. Very clear & really does gather a lot of light. Surprising for the money. Got it zeroed in and luckilly seems to have the same zero for my 200 gr. cast as it does for my 150 gr. jacketed. I've got about $250.00 in the rifle, scope & mounts. Great deer rifle for the investment.

Attached Files

madsenshooter posted this 02 September 2012

I had one of those cheapies that was a problem. The front tube was smaller than the rear tube, so the scope was at an angle. Ran out of vertical adjustment trying to hit paper. Held zero ok though.  I found the Bushnell didn't have enough eye relief, couldn't get ultimate view through it though I got it as far forward on my Krag as I could.

Attached Files

Close