8.15x46R will be shooting this weekend

• Last Post 02 January 2024
mashburn posted this 28 December 2023

About 20 to 21 months ago, I made some posts pertaining to a little stalking rifle, in 8.15X46R, at the time it belonged to me and my oldest son, but now it belongs to me alone. I made several posts pertaining to this rifle, such as making cases, slugging the bore and making, reloading equipment.

Shortly after getting this project going, I had some problems and was unable to walk without the aid of a walker and later, I had to have a wheelchair, On June the 29th of this year, I had surgery, and then was laid up for another couple of months Of course, I was unable to get to the shop during all of this. During all of that time I had numerous projects laying there waiting on me, and this little rifle was one of them.

As of today, my reloading equipment is finished, I have two bullet molds, one PB and one is GC. I will be shooting this little jewel this weekend.

I got on the interne tonight looking for loads and most of what I found were my posts on the forum pertaining to my posts on the forum pertaining to my rifle and other members comments. Ricin had sent me some loads when I first started this project, but I'm still looking for more, especially loads using RL-7 or Winchester 748 or 760. If anyone has any info on such loads, please post.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • G.Chapman
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
offhand35 posted this 28 December 2023

I have a membership with loaddata dot com.  There are loads with 3031, 4198, 5744, Accurate No. 9, 4227, 4895, and 2400.  None for what you are looking for.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • mashburn
mashburn posted this 29 December 2023

Thanks for the information. I'm interested in all loads for this rifle, not just the powders that I asked about in my post. I have all of the powders that you mentioned, in your reply. I like your handle, offhand. What shooting has turned into is a pet peeve of mine. That is one reason that I like the old stalking rifles, they were made to stand up on your hind legs and shoot like a man.

Thanks for the information,

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 29 December 2023

howdy ...you probably googled this already but i found this an interesting read on your semi-orphan cartridge ...

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/theswissriflesdotcommessageboard/anyone-loading-the-8-15x46r-t12423.htmlhttps://www.tapatalk.com/groups/theswissriflesdotcommessageboard/anyone-loading-the-8-15x46r-t12423.html

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • mashburn
mashburn posted this 30 December 2023

Hello Ken,

Thanks a lot for the info that you sent me. I just got through reading it and found it very enjoyable. For some reason my neck sizing bushing wound up with a slight taper???? I can load with it, but I can't stand to have a flaw in something that I made. I found a set of RCBS dies and they are going to be mine if they don't go out of reason, price wise. I have some more loads for the orphan, as you named it. Fitzpatrick loaned me a Hoch mold, not long before I became laid up physically. I had cast and powdered coated them a few days before I became immobile. I finally located them today and I think they are going to be a perfect fit without sizing. I purchased a new RCB mold, that is the mold that you told me about, which is a 170gr. flat nose, gas check mold and I had an old ideal mold. One in which the handles and the mold blocks are one piece.

I should be able to come up with a good bullet out of these, or at least I hope so. I have every kind of powder that is used in the loads that I've found, so let the fun begin.

My old Lyman manual has a load for 32-40 cartridges using Rel 7 powder. I may reduce the starting load some and work my way up, because I have had better luck with that particular powder than others over the last several years. I didn't get to load today and won't tomorrow, because of company. It will be Sunday before I get to make some cartridges. I gave you a call this afternoon but didn't receive an answer.

PS- If it wasn't for lowering the value of the rifle, I would rechamber to 32-40.

Thanks again,

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Fitzpatrick posted this 30 December 2023

Hey Mashburn, Glad to see you getting around good. 

In my 32-40  I use Reloader 7 with 18 gr. bullet is a 180 gr. , It's not the same cartridge as yours but very similar ,another good powder I have used is IMR-SR4759 but that has be discontinued for some time and my 38-55 loves it so I try to keep it just for hunting maybe my 8lb jug will outlast me . 

Keep us posted on progress this weekend .

Thanks James Fitzpatrick

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • mashburn
mashburn posted this 01 January 2024

I got a set of RCBS for this 8.15X46R and I can now quit making dies and load some cartridges. My dies should be here by Friday. Yippee.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 01 January 2024

Hello Fitzpatrick,

I'm getting around, but I'm not sure how good my getting around is. It's certainly nice to be able to walk and not be in extreme pain and live on paid meds. I was digging through my bullets today and found the bullets that I cast with your mold. I powder coated them right before I was laid up. I had cast 50 of them, just enough to try. I could only find 17, surely, I didn't separate them. I guess that's what you get when you have piled-up shops. I have two shops and they are both in a mess. 

I promise I will mail your brass this week.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Fitzpatrick
  • Glenn R. Latham
4060may posted this 01 January 2024

I looked , could not find what rifle you have

if it is an AYDT action, I may have some info for you

Chuck

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • mashburn
mashburn posted this 02 January 2024

Hello 4060may

No, my rifle isn't an AYDT. It's a little tip up stalking rifle made by some-one in Germany.  I haven't tried to identify it, but my son has done some research and says it was made in the 1930's. Stampings underneath the barrel show proof marks and other information. Eventually I will do some research, but now, I just want to shoot it. It is a nice little rifle with an engraved receiver and tang,and has most of the case color still intact. It has double set triggers and multi-leaf rear sights, and the bore is fantastic. Tapered octogen barrel with matted rib. I made cases for it before I was laid up for about nine months. My oldest son and I are looking for another similar rifle to purchase.

Thanks for your interest,

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

4060may posted this 02 January 2024

The reason I ask,if you make the brass from 30-30-38-55 brass, the rim may be too thick and cause misfires, in my AYDT I had to trim the back of the rim for the block to completely close

I'm posting a chart, hope it help

Chuck

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 02 January 2024

Chuck

The rim thickness on 30-30 cases and other similar cartridges is a perfect fit in my rifle. I guess I lucked out when I got this rifle. I have read, and also heard of all the problems that people had with forming cases, even web diameter, for this rifle. Thanks for the information,it is greatly appreciated.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Close