Question about SAECO 221

• 2.3K Views
  • Last Post 22 December 2011
800Fahrenheit posted this 15 December 2011

I'm thinking about acquiring a .22 center fire for cast bullet shooting and was wondering if a 12” twist will stabilize SAECO 221.  It's cataloged at 60 grains but I don't know how long it is... appears to have a nice profile though.  Anyone have personal experience with this bullet in a 12” twist .22?  For the most part, I'll be using this bullet on the range but it sure would be nice if I could take the fruit burglars out of the orchards at 100 yards or a bit further.  For bigger varmints on the ground, I'm sure there are better choices, but any stories about taking critters the size of racoons with a .22 cast bullet would be appreciated too.   

Thanks, 800

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 15 December 2011

Spitzer or flat nose? I've seen the Saeco 221 pictured either way. Spitzers are second choice way behind flat nose in cast bullets for killing varmints.

My Handi-Ultra Varmint in .223 Rem. has a 1:12 barrel and it loves cast bullets in 60 grain. I cast straight Linotype for my Gas Checked bullets in .223 and push them 2450+ fps.

When I want expansion I slow them down to 2100 and cast in Lyman #2.

Gary

Attached Files

Attached Files

Gary,

I just tried to post an image but the query failed.  I'll try again later with a smaller image.  I think the Handi-Rifle .223 barrels have 1:9” twists now and the 22-250's are still 14-inchers... bummer on both counts.  Assuming SAECO 221 shoots well, I suppose one could have the nose modified to cast a flat or perhaps even a hollow point w/o too much trouble/expense. I sure have appreciated SAECO quality in the past.

Attached Files

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 16 December 2011

I lucked out with my Handi-Ultra, most are made with the faster twist. They first came out in 1:12 for the .223 Rem. then changed.  I never even checked mine till last year when a guy on another board told me about the 2 twists on the Handi. Mine checked 1:12 and it likes cast bullets.

Your Saeco looks like a 1 or 2R ogive and not a pointy pointy Spitzer. Thanks for the image. I don't have experience with that bullet but it looks like a beauty. You don't mention your cartridge. I get nice accuracy with Accurate 2230 powder and either alloy I cast  for 223 Rem.

Also, I think twist is much less critical with cast bullets than with jacketed.  Longer heavier jacketed bullets like faster twist. shorter lighter lighter jacketed will stabilize fine with a slower twist.  The 60 grain lead bullet is middle of the range weight in .223 and the fit to the barrel is much more important than the twist rate. I size all my cast bullets .002 to .003” over groove to groove slugged barrel measurement. That is big enough that pretty much any twist will be fine to stabilize the bullet as long as the alloy is up to the job.

Gary

Attached Files

800Fahrenheit posted this 16 December 2011

Looks like the CBA database server is running again.  I'm surprised to see both images were posted.

Gary,

Actually, I don't own a .22CF yet and would like to get my hands on a 1:12” .223 but I suppose a 22-250 with the same twist would be fine as well.

800F

Attached Files

linoww posted this 16 December 2011

my 22-250's with a 1-12 shots as well as any other 22 with cast i have owned.Groups down to a bit under 3/4” at 100 yards can be ad in good conditions with a Savage BVSS.(not all the time but enough to make it interesting)

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

linoww,

What's the weight in your alloy?

Thanks, 800F

Attached Files

linoww posted this 16 December 2011

cast of lino. And i dont know the weight because i dont weigh 22 cal bullets.

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

linoww wrote: ... i dont know the weight because i dont weigh 22 cal bullets. :shock:

Do you measure velocity?  Please provide load details using SAECO 221.

Thanks, 800F

Attached Files

99 Strajght posted this 16 December 2011

I shoot the Saeco 221 in both 223 and 22-250, but both are 1-14 twist. My 221 bullet with gas check is 58 gr. WW and tin, 20:1. 21 gr. Varget in the 223 is about 2,200 fps and under 1 inch. The 22-250 with 24 gr. IMR 4895 is about 2,300 and under 1 inch. Both Kill small game well. For better groups I drop both loads down abour 5 grains.

Attached Files

Wayne S posted this 17 December 2011

I've got both the NOE 55-FN which is a clone of the RCBS 224 mold, mine drops at 57-58 gn. from 3-1 alloy, and the Saeco 221 clone. Haven't shot it yet though. It drops about the same 57-58 gn. The differents as I see it is that bullets from an RCBS mold MIGHT have some of the nose large enough to be called a “bore Rider"  With bullets from a Saeco  I don't think there is a chance as Saeco advertises it for the 223 and I read this as for AR's Also, I use the same top punch on the Saeco as the 55-FN so  putting a FN on a SSP bullet isn't a big deal. I shoot mine out of Contender Hornet <1-12 twists at about 1700> and the FN sure makes a nice “PING” on steel targets

Attached Files

.22-10-45 posted this 22 December 2011

Hello, 800Fahrenheit. I use this bullet in a Ruger No.1 in .222Rem. with a 1-14” twist. Shoots under 1” at 100yds. using H4227 & Fed. match primers. I had Corbin make up a reloading-press type bullet swage in .226 dia., with various nose punches. I can swage this bullet with a tapered flat nose..or a fuller round nose profile. One thing swaging does is flatten & square gas-check perfectly to bullet base. I have equaled match jacket bullet accuracy with these swaged bullets..(.400” at 100yds.)

Attached Files

Wayne S posted this 22 December 2011

.22-10-45  Does your die do anything to the nose section of this bullet;ie; make it larger ?? or does it just swage up the driving band area ? and does this effect the lube groove ??

Attached Files

.22-10-45 posted this 22 December 2011

Hello, Wayne S. The die only sizes the band..I.D. of die is larger than nose. I leave the very first groove empty..looks to be more of a crimp groove anyway. Now with the Corbin swage die, the nose does expand a bit to fit nose punch & I noticed it is a tight fit in muzzle. Thanks for asking!

Attached Files

Close