New Mould!

• 7.7K Views
  • Last Post 07 June 2011
Michael Petrov posted this 03 June 2011

I have been shooting a 33 1 6/10” WP on a Ballard for a few years.  For the last couple years I've been using my .33-Pope mould and wanted to get a modern one to use so I don't ware out the Pope.

The first mould I ordered was a disaster. Last winter I heard that David Mos was back making moulds so I gave him a try.  I sent him some of the Pope bullets and got a mould from him. It seemed to cast good bullets once it was up to temperature but just takes a long time. Plus it weights three times what my Pope mould does. Why are modern moulds so big?

Off my soapbox and back to shooting. It was cool and light rain this AM perfect shooting weather, I like to shoot when the conditions are like that and I have the range to myself ;-).

First shot was a little low changed the scope and fired five from the fouler box which are .2 grain different than the keepers.

5-.830"

Next was the good bullets 5-.458"

Another five shots in .615", rain was picking up so I fired a ten shot @ .815".  

Looks like it will work my first mix and first lube with this mould so I'm happy for now, with work I should be able to improve it a lot.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
codarnall posted this 07 June 2011

Very impressive, data a little difficult to sort out though.

Attached Files

They have web based auto/cad type design tools to use on-line now it seems. I'll definitely slug my old 86's with their worn barrels and get hot on this trail.

Attached Files

Michael Petrov posted this 07 June 2011

Back to the range this AM trying different primers. Fired five 5-shot groups at 100 yards, smallest .550 largest at .895 for an average of .765".

Fired one ten-shot, then came home.  Need to move out to 200-yards.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 07 June 2011

codarnall wrote: I don't no where I've been:

Checks this out, design your own molds.

http://www.mountainmolds.com/>http://www.mountainmolds.com/

I had these folks make me a 433-375GC and a 433-400GC about two years ago !

I made the mold  specs  I wanted sent them to him along with payment and I had the molds in my hands 6 DAYS after I sent him the order . Not saying this will happen everyday . But it did when I ordered from him !

Attached Files

I don't no where I've been:

Checks this out, design your own molds.

http://www.mountainmolds.com/

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 07 June 2011

Dale53 wrote: 6pt-Sika; Charlie's buddy (and mine) is Charlie Shaef (the Green Frog). In fact, Charlie will be here overnight on his way to and from Illinois in a couple of days. I held a single shot match at Friendship, In a number of years ago and Charlie Shaef came all the way from Va to shoot it. We hit it off like gangbusters and have been close friends ever since. In fact, he introduced me to Charlie Dell at The ASSRA Nationals at Etna Green.

Two finer men never lived. I am proud to have been able to call both among my friends.

Dale53

Dale , you gave me GreenFrog's phone number a couple years ago . And that was how I was able to converse with him !

The first time I became aware of this gentleman was when I read his article in the ASSRA mag about his Maynard rifle .

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 07 June 2011

Michael Petrov; That is a gorgeous rifle and a real shooter. I only have one Ballard, a modern Ballard “Frogmore” in .22 Rimfire.

6pt-Sika; Charlie Dell was a personal friend of mine and, in fact, I bought a brand new Peregrine action from him and he barreled it for me while I spent a week with him at his home and shop. It was a “gun nuts” dream.

Charlie's buddy (and mine) is Charlie Shaef (the Green Frog). In fact, Charlie will be here overnight on his way to and from Illinois in a couple of days. I held a single shot match at Friendship, In a number of years ago and Charlie Shaef came all the way from Va to shoot it. We hit it off like gangbusters and have been close friends ever since. In fact, he introduced me to Charlie Dell at The ASSRA Nationals at Etna Green.

Two finer men never lived. I am proud to have been able to call both among my friends.

Dale53

Attached Files

Michael Petrov posted this 06 June 2011

I can't read the letters, can you tell what they are?

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 06 June 2011

Michael Petrov wrote: All nice guns, what is the word between the two stars on the falling block?

I was told that was the name of the barrel maker . By the same fellow that told me this rifle had some rarity . He also had me give him the marks from the underside of the barrel and was able to tell me that the gun had been put together in 1929 .

Attached Files

Michael Petrov wrote: All nice guns, what is the word between the two stars on the falling block?

As you may or may not know “System Grothe” rifles are not very common.'

The Grothe was patented by Ed Grothe & Son Stendal, Germany. Yes , I was on the forum most of the guys in the ASSRA use and asked questions about that rifle . And after showing them the pics one guy told me , he called a friend in Germany that claimed they didn't make to many under that name/system .

Attached Files

All nice guns, what is the word between the two stars on the falling block?

As you may or may not know “System Grothe” rifles are not very common.'

The Grothe was patented by Ed Grothe & Son Stendal, Germany.

Attached Files

This drilling is chambered in 16 gauge , 16 gauge and 10.75x65R Collath . I'm not a big fan of hammer drillings but I bought this one mainly because I liked the engraving !

This also came from the same source as the two above !  

Attached Files

The Collath 6.5x52R (actually a 25-35 WIN) this one came from the same fellow I got the schuetzen above !

Attached Files

Here's my falling block !

These pics were taken before I had the rear sight made and added an original front sight !

Attached Files

nimrod posted this 06 June 2011

Wow those sure are some beautifull rifles and sure am glad to see that you are using then they were made to shoot and it looks like that they do that very well.

Attached Files

6pt-sika wrote: In post 21 you have your 33 cal Pope Ballard pictured . The trigger guard on that one . Is that whats referred to as the Pope triggerguard ?

You are correct, that's a Pope finger lever,  Same style on the 33WP.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 05 June 2011

In post 21 you have your 33 cal Pope Ballard pictured . The trigger guard on that one . Is that whats referred to as the Pope triggerguard ?

Attached Files

Michael Petrov wrote: I'll look forward to seeing your schuetzen  rifle, who was the maker?

There is a lot of loading information out there for the 8.15x46R and they seem to shoot well.

We actually have a pair of them here in my immediate shooting friends !

One of my budds picked up a nice one built on a Martini action . And then a year later I got the falling block I have . I had to have a peep sight made for mine and found and old sight I modified for the front . I should be able to get them posted tommorrow . Hopefully i still have pics of the Martini on my laptop in the shop !

Attached Files

Michael Petrov posted this 05 June 2011

I'll look forward to seeing your schuetzen  rifle, who was the maker?

There is a lot of loading information out there for the 8.15x46R and they seem to shoot well.

Attached Files

I'll see if I can't post the pics of my Austrian rifle . It is NOWHERE in the same class as yours but the only one I have at the moment !

Best thing i can say about mine is that it was made in 1929 and doesn't appear to have been shot much since it was right before the war . The gentleman I purchased it from told me his father was a one star in WWII and had picked this up as one of his war trophies . I also got a German single shot scoped rifle in 6.5x52R which is nothing more then a 25-35 and a drilling he picked up at the same time !

The man who sold me these said his father in law never fired them and neither did he . I've not shot the schuetzen or the drilling yet . But the little 25-35 did very nicely with some pre 1965 REM factory ammo I had on hand . If They're still on my laptop in the Gunsmith shop I'll post them as well !

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close