>308Win

• 3.1K Views
  • Last Post 26 June 2011
1kshooter posted this 28 May 2011

bought a lee #90368-30 cal C309 170gr-F

and I was wondering if anone has used this in a .308 and what there results were?

I would love to hear about any powder recomondations ..or load vol.

Thanks so much in addvanced  Jonathan:hunt::taz::riflebr:

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
galenaholic posted this 28 May 2011

Not sure if I've used that particular bullet, butwith several .30 caliber bullets ranging from about 175 gr. in weight to one od 190 gr. weight, 25.0 gr. of either IMR or H-4895 with a one grain tuft of dacron has shot well for me. I usually size the bullets to .310 “. Two that have done well are the Lyman #311291 (175 gr. ) and the Lyman # 311 644 (190 gr. in my alloy. Test your bullet to see if the nose is a snug fit in the muzzle with no play and when loading seat the bullet to slightly engage the rifling. That #311644 was doing 1.5 MOA at 200 yrds and 2.5 MOA at 300 on a day when the wind wasn't blowing too hard. Rifle was a Winchester M70 Youth Ranger than I won in a raffle. barrel has a  1 in 12” twist. Try it with and without the Dacron as see which way works best for you.

Paul B.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 28 May 2011

One school of thought is to just cast some up and see what happens. I have that mold and have found the nose to be a bit too small for best accuracy, but I haven't shot them in a .308 Winchester. Some things that will help generate some useful recomendations is; what gun, what alloy, what is the as cast diameters of that bullet from your mold, maybe even measure a fired case from your gun for I.D. of neck, stuff like that. I'd be comfortable going with the above advice from galena and also maybe trying “The Load", 13 gr. of Red Dot with no filler. Works a lot of the time. That bullet is a bore ride design but the bore riding portion is likely to be too small to fit 'just right' in your bore. You never know though 'til you shoot some paper.

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 28 May 2011

tturner53 wrote: One school of thought is to just cast some up and see what happens. I have that mold and have found the nose to be a bit too small for best accuracy, but I haven't shot them in a .308 Winchester. Some things that will help generate some useful recomendations is; what gun, what alloy, what is the as cast diameters of that bullet from your mold, maybe even measure a fired case from your gun for I.D. of neck, stuff like that. I'd be comfortable going with the above advice from galena and also maybe trying “The Load", 13 gr. of Red Dot with no filler. Works a lot of the time. That bullet is a bore ride design but the bore riding portion is likely to be too small to fit 'just right' in your bore. You never know though 'til you shoot some paper.

oops, M 70 Stelth Winchester 1-12 twist ...cast from my mold is .311dia I am using an unknown alloy as I am using range lead with a bit of tin added and I am water quenching the bullets from the mold.

I will try them out as soon as I get my gas checks!

thanks for your time folks!

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 29 May 2011

I'm only guessing as I don't know what will work in your gun or not. The .311 part sounds good so far, might try them as cast if a loaded round will chamber easily. Curious about the nose diameter, mine hit about .298 or so. They flunk the 'stick it in the muzzle' test, for what it's worth. Some people think it's important, some don't. Seems logical that a snug fit between the lands and the bore ride nose would be a good thing. Shooting cbs can be a funny thing, sometimes things that 'shouldn't' work, do. Have fun with it, let us know how it goes.

Attached Files

galenaholic posted this 29 May 2011

I think I'd give .311” a try. Like was said though, make sure it'll chamber. I believe I'd waste a bullet and cartridge case and make up a dummy round to make sure chambering would not be a problem. No need for a gas check on that one. If you plan on loading from a full magazine, make up five dummies and insure there won't be any problems with feeding. My bullets cast out at from .310” to .3105” so very little sizing is necessary.

If you are ater dropping to make the bullets harder, get hold of some magnum/chilled bird shot. Try about 1/3 cup of shot per ten pounds of your ally. Magnum shot contains arsenic and it doesn't take much for it to really harden a water quenched bullet. IIRC, it's something like .05 percent that's enough to make the difference.Use shot sized at 7 1/2 or smaller as the smaller shot has a higher concentration of arsenic.

My alloy is 10 pounds of wheel weights, one pound of linotype, a three foot piece of 95/5 percent lead free solder and that 1/3 cup of 7 1/2 shot. Water dropped it will run from 30 to 32 BHN after age hardening for about two weeks. What I do is cast the bullets and size them to .310” for 30 caliber. Then, I use a toaster oven that I “calibrated” at 420 degrees on the dial. I made a basket to hold the bullets and bake them for at least one hour and then drop them into a bucket of water. After I take them out of the water I put them on a towel and let them air dry overnight. Then I lube them with a .311” die so as to not touch the sided of the bullets. Then I store them for at least two weeks or until I want to load a few to shoot. Untreated they'll run about 12 to 13 BHN and work just fine in a 30-30 for hunting. I usually use Lyman #311291 for the 30-30. I do have #31141 (two molds plus a clone) and I've never been able to get that bullet to work for me. LIke what was said, “Shooting cbs can be a funny thing, sometimes things that 'shouldn't' work, do.” Just the opposite could be said, what should work doesn't. The fun is in the trying. Who knows? I may get that bullet to shooting good yet.

Paul B.

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 29 May 2011

Great point re the dummy loads...I will get on them pronto. I am trying to work towards a load that I can use for ground hogs out two say 300 yards...as I shoot a lot of hogs every year and it can get $$$ up the quick! I shoot 55gr v-max .223 and that is not to bad money wise but with all the fun I am having shooting the 45-70 with cast and the 12ga Lyman sabots I figured that I owed it to my self ..lol to try and get a high power load in cast form for my .308! over a 1000 ground hogs a year are praying this won't work ;>

Attached Files

I dunno if you'll be able to push a cast bullet fast enough to do what you want. I think my load only does something line 1500 to maybe 1700 FPS. I never bothered to chronograph them. They just did what I wanted and left it at that. I'm thinking that if you make the bullets hard enough to get more velocity, will accuracy go down the toilet? If you hit a ground hog at that distance, that hard bullet won't open up but just pencil through. If you're lucky you might get 2000, maybe 2100 FPS and still maintain accuracy.

Now I have used my loads to take down called in coyotes but they were a heck of a lot closer than 200 yards. I guess what you could do, which is something I do every once in a while, especially just before hunting season, is do a spot and stalk hunt on those ground hogs. If you get good enough to do that buy deer season, deer would be a walk in the park. I used to do that with a custom .223 based on a Ruger #1 action fitted with a Remington Model 7 barrel and a custom stock. I'd sit on a hill and glass for the coyote and try and do a stalk. I got to where I could get fairly close but Wiey Coyote always outsmarted me in the long run. Usually where I messed up was when getting ready to take the shot so I did get quite close to old Wiley. I got good enough to sneak to within 75 yards of my antelope in 2009 if fairly open country with little cover. That could be an option for you. Paper at 200 yards does not bleed or feel pain. Not trying to put a damper on what you want to try but just want you to see the reality of what cast bullets can and cannot do. Get as close as you can and then ten feet closer and maybe you'll be fine.

Paul B.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 29 May 2011

There has been a lot of work done and written about regarding high velocity .22s for varmints with cbs. For the long range stuff I just bite the bullet (!) and break out my stash of jacketed varmint bullets. I use the Midsouth Dogtown versions that are still relatively cheap, maybe 10 cents a pop. They sell boxes of 500 down to maybe $40 for a 50 gr. hp or sp. Grounhogs at 300 yds. is a tall order for a cast bullet load that is humane. I like the idea of stalking and that's when a home made bullet shines. I suspect the Midsouth bulk bullets are Noslers, but can't say for sure.

Attached Files

I should have stated that that range was more of a wish list lol... I have lots of .223 rounds that will get me to 5-550Yards but I just wanted to play around a bit with the .308 on the cheap and I will let them tell me if they are up to the task for longer shots and how humane they are ...i almost always prone shoot in a two man team and there is always another round on the way if the shot is not clean! I do thank you all for all your help and I do like the idea of spot and stalk..thats what I use the 45-70 goz for lol big hole and if you hit them in the butt there head falls of and vise versus lol

Attached Files

1K. If you like the 45-70, try a .404 jeffery ot .416 Rigby. I have those and beed to buy molds so I can shoot cast in them. Should make a fine coyote thumper. I have been know to shoot ground squirrels with a .375 H&H mag. shooting 300 gr. Silvertips. Great way to get used to a new rifle. I have a fine cast bullet load for my Ruger #1 .375 H&H. So far I've just shot paper but maybe one of these days I'll try it on deer or maybe elk.

Paul B.

Attached Files

yes I am thinking about gun buys to cast bullets for not the other way around ..ya I am sick. I have shot a lot of big guns at small fury targets and have gained so great experiance with the gun doing so! I shoot over a 1000 g-hogs a year and I could not buy the knoledge that shooting them has taught me! I love stalking g-hogs to under 100 yards and then waiting for them to offer a prefect shot with a back stop for the 400gr 45-70 bullets I know that what I learn there is all real world knoledge and I can use that experiance day in day out to take big game in like conditions at like ranges! Galenaholic, I fired a few 475 Kynosh(sp) and boy oh boy ...that left a mark!!!!

Attached Files

galenaholic posted this 30 May 2011

A bullet you might like for the 45-70 is the Lyman #457122, a 330 gr. hollow point. It shot a decent 1.5” group in my ex-Marlin 1895 with iron sights and runs right at 1.25” in my Ruger #1S.

You said, “..ya I am sick.” No, you're smart. Think about it. When things get tough, you'll have a way to shoot. :cool: If you have a supply of powder, primers, lead, gas checks and a good mold you can shoot when others won't be able to.

I was just a kid during WW2. There as an old dutchman that lived across the street from me who was a bullet caster. Buying ammo for anything was almost impossible. The only ammo available was .22 LR which was sold to farmers to protect their crops and 30-30 that went to ranchers to protect livestock. I dunno how people with .270s and other cartridges made out but rather poorly I suspect. That old gentleman was responsible for me being a bullet caster. He made out rather well casting bullets and loading ammo which he sold to local hunter in San Francisco. I guess SF wasn't the liberal dung hole it now is back then. Anyway that old man got me started and even gave me a pot and dipper when I first strated out making bullets for my newly acquired S&W 38/44 Outdoorsman. (Wish I still had that one. :()

Anyway, I probably shoot 100 round with cast bullets from something for every jacketed bullet I shoot. I truly am addicted to those things. B)

Paul B.

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 30 May 2011

galenaholic wrote: A bullet you might like for the 45-70 is the Lyman #457122, a 330 gr. hollow point. It shot a decent 1.5” group in my ex-Marlin 1895 with iron sights and runs right at 1.25” in my Ruger #1S.

You said, “..ya I am sick.” No, you're smart. Think about it. When things get tough, you'll have a way to shoot. :cool: If you have a supply of powder, primers, lead, gas checks and a good mold you can shoot when others won't be able to.

I was just a kid during WW2. There as an old dutchman that lived across the street from me who was a bullet caster. Buying ammo for anything was almost impossible. The only ammo available was .22 LR which was sold to farmers to protect their crops and 30-30 that went to ranchers to protect livestock. I dunno how people with .270s and other cartridges made out but rather poorly I suspect. That old gentleman was responsible for me being a bullet caster. He made out rather well casting bullets and loading ammo which he sold to local hunter in San Francisco. I guess SF wasn't the liberal dung hole it now is back then. Anyway that old man got me started and even gave me a pot and dipper when I first strated out making bullets for my newly acquired S&W 38/44 Outdoorsman. (Wish I still had that one. :()

Anyway, I probably shoot 100 round with cast bullets from something for every jacketed bullet I shoot. I truly am addicted to those things. B)

Paul B.

wink wink...the writing is on the wall.. I have molds for the front stuffers too..and my friend makes his own black powder....I only have to change one of my smke poles form percussion cap to flint and I am set!

I do love to hunt and shoot and I honestly feel that if ...Big brother wanted me to stop shooting all he would have to do is remove the ammo as most people would have access to a gun but the bullets,powder and primers run dry...quick!

I like to keep all my options open and if all eles fails I am darn good with a bow lol

as a side note i have the hollow point mold you mentioned (457122)on its way!

Attached Files

galenaholic posted this 30 May 2011

"as a side note i have the hollow point mold you mentioned (457122)on its way!"

It's a bit of a PITA to cast but I think you'll like it. I sized mine to .459” and .460” depending on the rifle.

Paul B.

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 30 May 2011

galenaholic wrote: "as a side note i have the hollow point mold you mentioned (457122)on its way!"

It's a bit of a PITA to cast but I think you'll like it. I sized mine to .459” and .460” depending on the rifle.

Paul B.

I will be a real happy camper if it casts .459-.460 out of the mold!!! thats what my gun like to eat!  (Marlin 1895SS micro Groved):cba:

Attached Files

leadhead308 posted this 26 June 2011

I have same LEE mold C 309-170-F, I use linotype and gascheck , then tumble lube with lee liquid alox lube, 39.5 gr. Winchester 748 approximately 2177 fps chronographed on a 70 degree day ,80% humidity, first time with new chronograph so only set up target at 50 yards 2.5 inch group , I have shot same load at 100yards kept all rounds in 4inch circle, figure out of my H & R survival rifle , for deer I could make head shots. Going to try this year!

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 26 June 2011

:dude:leadhead308 wrote: I have same LEE mold C 309-170-F, I use linotype and gascheck , then tumble lube with lee liquid alox lube, 39.5 gr. Winchester 748 approximately 2177 fps chronographed on a 70 degree day ,80% humidity, first time with new chronograph so only set up target at 50 yards 2.5 inch group , I have shot same load at 100yards kept all rounds in 4inch circle, figure out of my H & R survival rifle , for deer I could make head shots. Going to try this year! wow! that is very cool!

Attached Files

Close