.32 H&R Mag performance question

• 5K Views
  • Last Post 18 May 2011
billwnr posted this 16 May 2011

I have a .32 Mag that I shoot from time to time.  I've been reviewing the current Lyman reloading manuals for loads and in the commentary it states that the .32 Mag was originally manufactured to replicate .38 Special power at a lesser recoil level.

In reviewing the reloading data I notice that the load data was created using about 20K as the pressure limits.  That's roughly the same as the .38 Spl +P loads.   The velocities listed for the .32 Mag are in the .38 Spl ranges but with lighter bullets (40-40 grains less) weights.

How come the .32 Mag is held to the .20K limit and the .327 Mag is held to the 40K limit?   Is this because the .32 Mag was chambered in H&R and Charter Arms revolvers?  Or does the Ruger Single Six Magnum have too thin of steel over the .32 Mag chambers?

Ed, you have any thoughts on this?

( I do know my old Skeeter Skelton loads are quite zippy)

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 16 May 2011

The SAAMI Maximum Average Pressure was based on the weaker H&R and Charter Arms revolvers. The Ruger Single-Six and SP101 revolvers are designed for higher pressures, however company policy does not recommend or condone use of handloaded ammunition.

That being said, when I was with the company I worked up heavier loads which were pressure tested for us by Federal, which developed pressures slightly exceeding 30,000 psi, specifically 5 grs. of W231 in Federal cases with the Federal 200 primer and Hornady 85-gr. XTP bullet, which proved very satisfactory.

In my own revolvers I currently load 3 grs. of Bullseye with 115-gr. cast lead flatnosed NEI #82 bullets which resemble the old Ideal #3118, which shoot very well and approximate the performance of .32-20 standard pressure loads, although they probably exceed SAAMI listed pressure for the .32 H&R Magnum.

I have not experimented much with the slower powders to obtain the highest possible velocity because my goal was a dual-purpose rook rifle and revolver load with low noise. Heavier loads would defeat that purpose.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 16 May 2011

Thanks for the answer, Ed. The bullet I'm using is the RCBS 98 grain SWC and the Hornady swaged SWC.

Attached Files

william iorg posted this 16 May 2011

You didn't mention what type of handgun you were using; it makes a difference with the 32 H&R Magnum.

The 98-grain RCBS bullet is hard to beat in the Ruger Single Six or the Bisley version.

If you have the Ruger, 10.0 grains of Hodgdon 110 is a powerful and accurate load for your revolver. This works well in the S&W Model 16 too.

For the lighter frame revolvers such as the S&W J-frames drop your load to 9.8 grains to prevent sticky extraction.

I shoot the RCBS 98-grain bullet as cast with either hand lubing or tumble lube.

I shoot the NEI 100-grain plain base SWC bullet ahead of 2.5 or 3.0 grains of Alliant Bullseye and get 764 or 798 fps respectively from the load in the 2” S&W M-631.

The 100-grain NEI bullet ahead of 3.0 grains of Alliant Unique will get 850 fps from the 4” Model 16 S&W.

If you end up with a Marlin 1894, 4.4 grains of Unique behind the Sierra 90-grain JHC or the 100-grain NEI SWC is hard to beat. This load will give you 1,200 fps+ from the 20” rifle barrel and is a load worth looking at.

I don't remember which powders Ed preferred for the Marlin.

Hodgdon 110 and Lil Gun are better powder selections than Alliant 2400 for the heavy bullet 32 Magnum loads. The problem is the 32 H&R Magnum tends to loosen its primer pockets as the loads climb significantly above the SAAMI maximum levels. Others may tell you this is due to large chambers on some revolvers and this could be true, but - I have loaded for a number of S&W. TC and Ruger revolvers and I have found the Rugers to have variable chambers between revolvers - this is the Single Six, not the SP-101. The S&W have chambers which will slightly bulge the cases at the pressure ring with heavy loads.

I have loaded for closely chambered custom 32 H&R Magnum handguns - Colt Diamondback conversions - and have found the primer pockets will loosen in a few hi-pressure loads with heavy for the caliber bullets. These revolvers do not bulge the cases and will loosen primer pockets when loaded to hi-pressure using 115-grain and heavier bullets. The 32 H&R Magnum case is not made for loads which push the 115-grain and heavier bullets above 1,250 fps.

The 327 Magnum is everything we could have hoped for in the heavy frame handguns such as the Ruger Blackhawk. The Blackhawk has good chambers which do not bulge the cases at the pressure ring and they will accept any load you care to shoot.

Slim

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 17 May 2011

Bill,

Interested in more info on your experiences with the .327, presume you are using Federal brass, as I know of no other source. Is the current Federal brass for the .327 of any better quality than their .32 H&R? I had very poor case life with that and much prefer Starline, but I don't think they are making .327 yet, hope I'm wrong on that one...I still don't own a .327 because I feel the H&R is fully adequate for my purposes.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 17 May 2011

I don't have a .327 but do own a Ruger SSM in .32H&R Mag

Attached Files

william iorg posted this 17 May 2011

Ed,

Yes, Federal 327 brass. I bought the brass from Freedom Arms ”€œ as far as I know they are they only one selling bulk 327 brass.

I'll post some on the Freedom Arms 327 thread as the Ruger Blackhawk and the Freedom Arms guns are unique in their strength.

My wife and I started shooting the 32H&R Magnum right after the Ruger Single Six appeared. At the time we were living in San Antonio and there were a number of silhouette shooters and handgun varminters jumping on the 32 Magnum. We all overloaded the cartridge in the beginning with their being two distinct groups of shooters. The first group tried light bullets, 100-grains and lighter, at the highest velocities possible. The second group tried the heaviest bullets possible, we were looking for velocities as close to 1,300 fps as possible ”€œ we could not get there.

We had problems with the early Federal 32 H&R Magnum brass. The empty brass was not available in bulk, only in the 50 round Federal boxes. A gun store named Drury's was kind enough to stock it in case quantities for us. Drury's was the only outlet I ever found for Federal, empty, unprimed 32 H&R Magnum brass and we sure appreciated Drury's for stocking it. What we did not appreciate was the cost, $9.00 for 50 cases,

Our problems were the brass exhibited an epidemic of vertical splits up the case body, often on the first shot using published load data.

With our tendency to overload the cartridge we had quite a problem with expanded primer pockets. With our initial reliance on Alliant 2400 we experienced many expanded primer pockets using heavy for the caliber ”€œ over 115-grain ”€œ bullets.

Some of our Ruger and Charter Arms handguns and the TC barrels did have rather large chambers at the pressure ring and these cases would swell just above the case web. The cases looked odd even after full length sizing. Many Rugers and the K-frame S&W revolvers had close chambering and the cases did not swell at the pressure ring. We experienced the same case loss due to body splits and this was frustrating considering the price of the cases. The custom revolvers I have seen were close chambered and they experienced the same body splits and expanded primer pockets with the early Federal cases.

I have a few of these cases with primer pockets not punched through. There is a hole and they probably let enough light through to get past the inspection process.

I find the 32 H&R Magnum more useful for the smaller critters we hunt around our property. My wife is sensitive to tearing the critter in to rather than just a killing shot.

The 327 Federal exhibits serious expansion with 100-grain and lighter jacketed bullet. We use the 327 Federal for the heavier bullets and use the cartridge for raccoon and porcupine. With the fires in our area we are overrun with displaced, hungry critters. The 125-grain NEI bullets seem to be ideal for the 327 Blackhawk and GP 100. We originally envisioned the 32 Magnum in this role and were initially disappointed the Magnum would not handle the heavy bullets at high speed.

We have changed our opinion and now find the 100-grain and lighter cast bullets driven to 850 to 950 fps to be about ideal killers, while not cutting the animal in two and making a mess in the back yard.

I have been studying the pre-WWII thoughts of F.C. Ness and Al Barr on small game cartridges, particularly the 32 Long rimfire and the 25 Steven. I believe there is room for these cartridges today but it is a small market. The trajectory of the bunny gun loads limits us to a 75-yard point blank range and this is not attractive to shooters used to today's varmint cartridges.

Slim

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 17 May 2011

Bill, thanks for the info on the early .32 Mag loading and performance data. I originally got the SSM after it first came out because the .22 LR wasn't enough for prairie dogs and jackrabbits. I preferred to see them die at the shot rather than crawl around for a short while.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 17 May 2011

I agree on the Dead Right There approach. Even a varmint should be killed good. Out here we shoot 'squeaks', otherwise known as ground squirrels. It's a popular industry. The damn things are cannibals! I &%$# you not, hit one and another will likely try to recover the remains for lunch. A .22 Mag is borderline unless close in. Makes for interesting shooting. But the idea is to smoke 'em good on the first hit, not have a crawler. Anyway, the .32...I'm preparing some jacketed loads for .32 S&W Long for water jug penetration comparison to cast bullets. Molly started it, declaring the .32 SWL a “manstopper” on another site. For my Ruger SSM I'll stick with published loads, no need for maxing out. It's not my bear gun.

Attached Files

I certainly agree, I do not enjoy letting them get away wounded. It took awhile but I agree - it aint a bear gun!

For me, the 32H&R Magnum is one of the group of cartridges which simply does not require a jacketed bullet - I shoot a bunch of them but I am certain I do not receive better accuracy or terminal performance.

For maximum performance in the heavier frame revolver, I see the 32 Magnum as at its best with a 100- to 115-grain bullet driven to 1,200 fps.

The J-frame S&W and Charter Arms guns seem to be at their best with the 90- to 100-grain bullets driven between 1,000 and 1,100 fps.

For the above I am thinking of raccoon, porcupine and skunk.

For lighter, eating type critters which the bunny gun shoot concentrated on an 85- to 100-grain bullet driven between 875 and 950 fps meets the need and gives us the trajectory we need to stay on the little bunnies out to 75-yards. I should preface all of this by stating I am not a tremendous pistol shot. I need a rest for bunny shooting at 75-yards. In our practice at the targets we are kneeling and squatting. Standing, even using both hands, we are not 75-yard bunny shooters.

Slim

Attached Files

I wanted to put this in a seperate post. We built an open top trough for bullet testing. Filling the trough with trash sacks filled with water give a uniform penetration test. The hydraulic action on the trough sides is hard on the wood. For one or two shots, I now prefer the use of small boxes with a trash sack in each, filled with water. Three boxes will stop all but the heaviest loads from the big guns.

You can defeat the boxes with a heavy weight .44 or .45 caliber bullet at modest velocity - 1,000 fps or so. Large caliber bullets driven 1,000 fps or less will generally penetrate all out of proportion to velocity.

The nice thing about the white trash sack is you can open it up and lay it out to follow the bullet path when testing hollow points.

Slim

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 18 May 2011

Cardboard 12-can beer cartons support a water filled bag, though bulge slightly. They explode and split with great satisfaction upon impact. Empty 5-liter wine boxes work too with plastic grocery bags.

Attached Files

Close