1911 with cast bullets

• 4K Views
  • Last Post 22 May 2011
6pt-sika posted this 10 May 2011

I am contemplating slicking up a 1911 and shooting cast bullets it it !

What problems should I expect from shooting home cast RN ahd HP bullets in a 1911 ?

My plan is to use air cooled or water quenched wheelweights . Is anyhting harder needed or can I get by with what I want ?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

I am thinking 230 grain RN for practice and a 200 grain RN HP for personal protection .

Attached Files

Also I shouldn't think GC's would be of any use in a 900-950 FPS projectile ?

Attached Files

corerf posted this 10 May 2011

Shoot just about anything and well in a 1911, at least in mine. WW, darn near pure lead and anything else. Softer is better for my Kimber so WW, air cooled is as hard as I need. Just load with a good published cast load and it should shoot better than ball.

Attached Files

corerf wrote: Shoot just about anything and well in a 1911, at least in mine. WW, darn near pure lead and anything else. Softer is better for my Kimber so WW, air cooled is as hard as I need. Just load with a good published cast load and it should shoot better than ball.

A couple of the local guys say the feed ramps kinda lead up after 200-400 shots .

Have you found this to be true ?

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 10 May 2011

6pt-sika wrote: A couple of the local guys say the feed ramps kinda lead up after 200-400 shots .

Have you found this to be true ? The only issue I had with the 1911 and cast bullets is making the bullets hard enough to slide up the ramp. WW's with a little tin will do just fine is the ramp is smooth. You should clean it before you get to 200 rounds, unless you are one of the action pistol shooters. I just shot NRA Bullseye and could take a patch and brush to the barrel after 100 rounds. One wipe down the ramp with a brush and patch clean. Of course with our light loads you had to keep things cleaner or the slide wouldn't function.

Attached Files

RicinYakima wrote: 6pt-sika wrote: A couple of the local guys say the feed ramps kinda lead up after 200-400 shots .

Have you found this to be true ? The only issue I had with the 1911 and cast bullets is making the bullets hard enough to slide up the ramp. WW's with a little tin will do just fine is the ramp is smooth. You should clean it before you get to 200 rounds, unless you are one of the action pistol shooters. I just shot NRA Bullseye and could take a patch and brush to the barrel after 100 rounds. One wipe down the ramp with a brush and patch clean. Of course with our light loads you had to keep things cleaner or the slide wouldn't function.

I wanna shoot the RN HP's hot enough to use for  in home protection .

So maybe for those I should WQ ?

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 10 May 2011

I shot Bullseye competition for over 30 years. Most of what I (and most of my fellow competitors) shot was semi-wadcutters cast of wheel weights with maybe a little tin and some range scrap when we got industrious enough to go mine it. My regular load was 4.2 gr. Bullseye behind a 200 gr. bullet. At a regular 2700 match, if you shot your .45 in the centerfire stage and the .45 stage, and most of us did, you shot 180 rounds. Nobody I know ever had any trouble with the feed ramp leading up. If you shoot 200-300 rounds without cleaning, your pistol will be pretty dang dirty, but you still shouldn't have much of a problem with leading. As far as personal protection is concerned, I'd be inclined to use SWC bullets - most of 'em will function without special tuning - and if you put a half inch hole in a bad guy, the slug doesn't have to be traveling at any super hot speed to have the desired effect.

Wes

P.S.  I don't think I ever knew of ANY bullseye competitor who felt it was necessary to water quench his WW/scrap/etc. .45 bullets.

Attached Files

corerf posted this 11 May 2011

My PP idea: 185 gr bullet, SWC if the gun will feed it,, WW air cooled, it will deform in a human and is getting out of the barrel at 1000 fps. The half inch hole should make a good leak and the nickle sized bullet should not exit. I don;'t shoot folks though so this is given based on my NON-infinite wisdom.

Otherwise, just buy a box of Win Silvertips and use those for home protection. That is probably the best advise that will be given and keep you out of jail or at least give you a fighting chance. Search the many discussions on the use of homebrew bullets for PP, attorneys and jail time.

As for the ramp leading, I have never seen any, not after ANY number of dang near pure lead alloys. I figure if the ramp leads, there is some other mechanical aspect that needs attention. I shoot a Kimber and it eats anything. I also shoot an RIA in 38 Super, it eats very little well, vomits at times, but still wont lead the ramp! My LEO friend I load for, same 5 gr RD and 230gr RN load, S&W service model (NICE), eats 500 rounds at a time and it is accurate. (Not bullseye accurate but...), close enough to service load power to give him the feel and POI of ball. No ramp leading.

A 1911 should feed with a reasonably polished ramp, any round nose bullet, if the recoil spring is stock weight. Even pure lead. Ric mentioned feed issues sometimes with the really light recoil springs and loads.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 11 May 2011

I liked the idea of the HP bullets after reading Glenn Fryxell's article in the Jan?Feb Fouling Shot !

Actually they might make a good round to carry in a 1911 as a side arm during deer season !

I used to carry my 4” 629 with Lyman 429244's in the cylinder , but that thing was heavy and uncomfortable sitting in a tree stand very long !

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 11 May 2011

If you make a hollowpoint bullet fragile enough to expand at .45 ACP velocities below 900 f.p.s. you will lose significant penetration. A .45 bullet of blunt profile does not need to expand to be effective. Any accurate SWC or flatnosed bullet which feeds reliably is OK. Nor do you need to load to full IPSC Major Caliber either.

The 1875 Schofield load on which the .45 caliber established its reputation as a manstopper only got about 720 f.p.s. from a 5-1/2 inch barrel and about 770 f.p.s. from the 7-1/2 inch barrel with a 230-gr. bullet using 28 grains of blackpowder. About 4 to 4.5 grains of any fast-burning powder which measures well, with any bullet of 180 grains or more which feeds reliably will do the job.

K.I.S.S. principle.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

CB posted this 15 May 2011

LBT makes a really good LFN for 45 ACP that wouldn't rely on expansion to be effective. I have the 230 gr version. It's such a balancing act to make velocity, bullet design & alloy come together for an effective cast hollowpoint.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 15 May 2011

I've filed this idea for awhile !

I wanna get one of the Philippine made Metro 1911's .

And the one I want is strangely out of stock at all our distributers !

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 18 May 2011

The two at right side are for revolvers in 45lc.

The 4 from left are all working well in my  many 911pistols. not to mention the S&W 625.

I use a 454 lubrisizer,or no sizing  in the Lee tumble lube bullets.

I have not been able to lead the bore with normal loads.

I dirtied the bore only  once,long time ago,with dangerous and unpublishable pin loads.

I am told that Chinese and Philipinos 911s are well worth their price.

Actually I am a 45acp fanatic.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 18 May 2011

The fanatic with his 911 comp gun.

Iuse a 9x21 at a steel challenge match because,being miser,I can abandon the brass (that I get free of charge) on a foreign range.

The brass is the range officers booty ,I do not want to leave any 45 case on the ground.

Attached Files

CB posted this 18 May 2011

6pt-sika wrote: I've filed this idea for awhile !

I wanna get one of the Philippine made Metro 1911's .

And the one I want is strangely out of stock at all our distributers !

Hi Giorgio, good info with pics.

I have a Philippine 1911 and am very happy with it. I worked up loads with jacketed (eeeeks) 230s down to 2” groups at 50' indoor. It shoots factory ball 230s at 2".

A fellow shooter's surplus NM 1911 out shoots the Philippine so I installed a Kart barrel and a custom fit bushing, but haven't shot it since except to break it in. Am anxious as you are 6pt-sika to get this project going............DanW

I've got the Lee 452190 (200gr) Ideal 452374PB and Ideal 452484GC (both in 230gr)

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 18 May 2011

Dan Willems wrote: I have a Philippine 1911 and am very happy with it. I worked up loads with jacketed (eeeeks) 230s down to 2” groups at 50' indoor. It shoots factory ball 230s at 2".

Lets see , I've had a full bore race gun with a comp on a Springfield Armory 1911 , a Kimber Tac II 1911 and a Para Ordanance 1911 and I kinda lost intrest in all of them !

The Metro 1911 Americqn Classic II seems kinda nice as we've sold 4 or 5 of them thru my friends gunsmith shop . And he claims for what I want he can do the trigger and polish the ramp and I “should” be ready to rock and roll !

The fact that my wife/fiancee is from the Philippines also doesn't hurt anything ;)

But I suppose the largest contributing factor to me wanting a Metro 1911 is the article Glenn Friyxel wrote in the Jan?Feb 2011 Fouling Shot about his HP molds and one was for his 1911 .

Attached Files

gregg posted this 19 May 2011

I will let you look up the number but the Keith AR 45 SWC 230 Gr bullet shoots well in my Springfield 45. You would know better than me but cannot see a deer running far with one thru him????

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 19 May 2011

gregg wrote: I will let you look up the number but the Keith AR 45 SWC 230 Gr bullet shoots well in my Springfield 45. You would know better than me but cannot see a deer running far with one thru him????

To be honest that Lyman 230 grainer that Fryxell had hollow pointed looks just so intresting to me .

Attached Files

clintsfolly posted this 19 May 2011

the worst thing is the hunt for more WW,s to feed a 1911 45acp!!!! There just FUN to shoot and multiply in the safe! there,s now 4 in the safe and i keep feeling that i need another one! Clint

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 19 May 2011

clintsfolly wrote: the worst thing is the hunt for more WW,s to feed a 1911 45acp!!!! There just FUN to shoot and multiply in the safe! there,s now 4 in the safe and i keep feeling that i need another one! Clint

The 45 ACP is mild on WW consumption compared to my 444's !

The worst I can do with the ACP is 230 grains a pop !

With all those 444 rifles and the 45-70 I cast anywhere from 207 grains all the way to 550 !

I've been shooting alot of 400 grain bullets in one of the 444's thats 17 1/2 bullets per pound !

And the 550 grainer for my 45-70 yields 12 1/2 bullets to the pound of WW's !

With a 1911 I'll find a load that shoots well enough and gets a fair velocity . Then I'll shoot 4 or 5 clips at 5 , 10 and 15 yards and I am done !

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close