"Lube purge" fliers

• 2.4K Views
  • Last Post 12 April 2011
Fred_Dwyer posted this 10 April 2011

Today I was getting about 1 in 8 shots that “disappeared,” since I was holding otherwise solid groups I figured these must be lube purges, I mean I'm a better shot than that to lose 2 off the paper./images/emoticons/134.gif Seriously, 4 rounds nearly touching then, where'd #5 go...?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
pat i. posted this 10 April 2011

Try cutting back on the lube.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 11 April 2011

Fred, if you do a test with the exact same load/conditions only minus some lube let us know how it goes. The lube purge theory sounds good but I'm skeptical that it happens that way, not that I'm an expert.  It just seems to me excess lube buildup is cumulative and should throw shots out progressively worse, not all fine then suddenly bingo! gone, then back to fine again. I can't explain those wild fliers myself, but I have my doubts about the logic behind the 'lube purge theory'.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 11 April 2011

A flier in my way of thinking is a couple inches away from the group .

Even with my old derelict leverguns with antiquated scopes I can usually keep the fliers inside 2 or 3 inches at 100 yards !

This lube thing sounds kinda bogus to me as I've fired as many as 30 shots without cleaning the barrel with very good to excellent results .

Attached Files

Fred_Dwyer posted this 11 April 2011

Fred, if you do a test with the exact same load/conditions only minus some lube let us know how it goes.Oh I sure will.  I try to keep the shots slow and barrel temperature even between rounds, seat the bullets true into the neck, check trim-to-length every loading. I don't feel any noticeable change in recoil to indicate goofy primers. Sort the bullets by weight, light ones (</= -0.3 gr) go back to the melt. Maybe later I'll weigh my brass and see if maybe I mixed up lots and have some severely tight ones.

Attached Files

72coupe posted this 11 April 2011

Use bigger paper.

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 11 April 2011

My experience with lube purging is having the bullet out of the group by a couple of inches, not off the paper.

Some say that only lubing the small space above the gas check is enough lube. It might warrant lubing some that way and shooting some test groups.

Now....maybe those missing shots were bullets that went thru the same hole...

Attached Files

Fred_Dwyer posted this 11 April 2011

Now....maybe those missing shots were bullets that went thru the same hole...YEAH! That's the ticket! Shooting better than I ever thought! Thanks for the encouragement.:D

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 11 April 2011

You use bacon grease in your lube? Space aliens love bacon. If so they got 'em and ate 'em before they got to the target. 8-)

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

CB posted this 11 April 2011

Now that sound reasonable to me!

Attached Files

CB posted this 12 April 2011

Fred,

Having them miss the paper sounds more like a bullet too long for the twist that is just barely stable and then for some reason an occasional one will be even less stable and tumble.

I sometimes have a similar event when trying to shoot 280 grain bullets in the 44Mag in a Marlin with 1 in 38 inch twist. Some of the holes will be a bit oblong but make fair groups -- then one will disappear or make a rectangular hole six inches away.

What caliber, bullet length, twist?

I don't think it is likely that you will solve your problem by weighing bullets, powder, or brass or trimming to length.

In my 223s I consistently find that if I lube more than the gap ahead of the gas check the groups enlarge -- but don't go wild.

John

Attached Files

Fred_Dwyer posted this 12 April 2011

What caliber, bullet length, twist?30-30, 170 gr. 91141 Lyman- 1 inch almost exactly, 1:12.

All the holes are clean and round, no signs of key-holing.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 12 April 2011

Fred_Dwyer wrote: I mean I'm a better shot than that to lose 2 off the paper./images/emoticons/134.gif Seriously, 4 rounds nearly touching then, where'd #5 go...? Honestly, and I'm not trying to be funny but I think you need a bigger piece of paper. Without evidence of what the bullet actually did, you're kind of shootin' in the breeze trying to figure out what is happening (no pun intended). Either that or move the target in closer. See where those flyers are going. Are they going off random or are they forming a group several inches away? Without objective data, it's anyone's guess what's going on.

Attached Files

Fred_Dwyer posted this 12 April 2011

Honestly, and I'm not trying to be funny but I think you need a bigger piece of paper.I was wondering how to take that previous comment, I see now what he meant.  The NRA targets come a certain size, I may slap some shelf paper up as a background to see how far out they are going.

Attached Files

Close