Deep throat?

• 2K Views
  • Last Post 23 April 2011
salvadore posted this 08 April 2011

I have been shooting my 94 Winchester 32 win spec.  Using a Lee 8mm mold and a Lyman 323470 that I have to load all the way to the bottom of the neck and I still run up against the lands.  I recently purchased a Ranch dog outdoors flatnose for the 32 spec. thinking it would start tapering right above the crimp groove, but alas it doesn't and it really runs up against the lands.

20+ years ago when I was paying attention to this type of thing, cast bullet shooters were talking about extending the throat?, chamber? whatever the correct term is to facilitate a better fit for their bullets.  Is this a viable alternative? will I ruin the rifle for anything but cast?

The Lee and Lyman bullets shoot pretty good but bolt closing is a little tough, The ranchdog that casts really nice looking bullets tends to shove the bullet deeper into the case.

Any information would be appreciated.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Fred_Dwyer posted this 09 April 2011

will I ruin the rifle for anything but cast? Short answer, no. There are some magnum rifles that use a bit of “freebore” before the slug encounters rifling to help keep pressures lower in chamber.

You probably want to make several dummy rounds with the bullet seated the length you use and take them to a 'smith and have him ream it to fit so the slug just kisses the start of rifling.

Attached Files

salvadore posted this 15 April 2011

Thanks for the info Fred. I turned some of the ranch dog bullets over and sized the nose to .311 down to the crimp groove and loaded with 19gr of 4198. They chambered with a little extra force and gave me 2” groups at 50yds which may be as good as it will do with my poor eyeshight.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 16 April 2011

Something doesn't sound right. The 32 Special should have a .315 bore. If you're sizing the nose to .311 and they still chamber hard, I'd talk to Veral Smith at LBT Molds and slug the throat before you do any machine work to it.

Attached Files

salvadore posted this 18 April 2011

I did the same with an 8mm lyman lovern style mold and they chamber even easier, but still engraved by the lands a bit. Thanks for the bore diameter Bill, I didn't know that. The little bit of factory stuff I've shot seems not to be a problem. If my groups continue to improve I may not worry about machining anything. Wish the weather would improve, this wuldn't take so long.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 19 April 2011

salvadore wrote: Wish the weather would improve, this wuldn't take so long.We're having our typical spring weather in Tennessee. 70 one day, 45 the next. Windy days. I shot a 3P rimfire match weekend before last and the winds were blowing 7-19MPH, gusts up to 25, and the wind would switch from 4:00 to 9:00. Not exactly a stellar day, but a bad day at the range is still better than a good day at work! You guys probably still have freezing weather, I'd bet.

Attached Files

salvadore posted this 19 April 2011

29 this AM, but calm winds so I think I will take the 6 rounds I have loaded up and see how I do. Might as well take my Yugo Mauser and empty some more S&B rounds for the brass, wanna turn that into a cast bullet shooter too.

Attached Files

CB posted this 19 April 2011

Salvadore

There is an easier way to get any cb to fit in your throat. That is with a taper die, knocking down the nose and drive bands of the cb kind of like you were doing loading the cb nose first into a sizing die.

I think if you do a search on taper dies you will find more info about them. I also think there is somebody now offering to make them for sale?. I taper many bullets to fit better in the throat and load out further in the neck................DanW

Attached Files

salvadore posted this 23 April 2011

I took the six Lovern style loads with the sized noses along with some that weren't sized to the range. With 19grs of4198 I was getting 5 shot groups just under 2” @ 50yds with most groups giving 1” 4 shot groups. At 100yds with a really big target I got a 3.25” group and ran out of bullets. With better eyesight I think I could shrink that down some.

Dan thanks for the heads up. I wonder if I should bother or just practice trying to get a better sight picture.

Attached Files

codarnall posted this 23 April 2011

Deep throat can mean a several things. Let's assume it means wobbly bullets.

Charlie

Attached Files

codarnall posted this 23 April 2011

That's why your dumped algore on us out here.

Attached Files

Close