frustrated at the range

• 3.5K Views
  • Last Post 23 March 2011
WildBill posted this 21 September 2010

I have been shooting 200 meters off hand and i blamed my misses on poor marksmenship until i put a paper target up at 100 meters and tried to shoot a group. To my dismay i was all over the paper - since then i have tried about every combination of powder, bullet type, charge, weight, and lenght. also cleaning and not cleaning between shots. The only thing that i can think of is that i have been using reclamed bullets from the range as my source of lead. If some one could give me some advice on what really works in this type rifle i would be beyond greatful. What mold or bullet do you use, powder charge, lube, cleaning , ect. Greatfully Will Bill    I had the information on my rifle in the discription box but it never got posted--- My first time at this. Pedersoli missouri River Hawkens- 30” barrel 1/24 twist.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
bsdger45 posted this 21 September 2010

Bill, could you provide some details, rifle make, cal, bullet used, diameter, powders and charge weights.

Attached Files

WildBill posted this 21 September 2010

Sorry, I had the information in the discrition box but it didn't get posted I added it to the bottum of my message. thanks

Attached Files

CB posted this 22 September 2010

WB how about caliber and a list of what you use for lube and the load bullet combos you have tryed

Attached Files

WildBill posted this 22 September 2010

Sorry i muddled up the first try at this but i'll see if i can do a little better this time. I just started shooting a muzzle loader two years ago and much of what i have been doing is based on what i have been told by a friend and some that i have read. I bought several Lee molds - 50 Cal. Minie balls, also R.E.A.L bullet,and the skirmish with various length bullets by Lee. My rifling is 512 and the lands are 503, the twist is 1/24 with a 30” barrel, it is a percussion rifle by pedersoli 50 cal. I've tried shooting these bullets with 80 to 110 gr. of pyrodex using red angel lube as well as various home brews and bore butter. With all this being said i believe my problems come from not using pure lead. Is the 30-1 ratio what every body is using? Also i wonder if i should run a patch between shots or not. Perhaps someone has a missouri river hawkens or a close cousin and could tell me what they shoot,i.e bullet or mold make, weight, and if you need a concave back or not.

Attached Files

CB posted this 22 September 2010

Try around 60 grs of powder, I bet it will do better

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 23 September 2010

That 1/24” twist sounds awful fast to me, but I'm not familiar with the Pedersolis. The bore measurements seem big too. If it's a Hawken replica I'd expect at least a 1/48” twist, or slower, but I'm just speculating. The Lee REAL bullets have always shot well for me in a .50. If it's truly a 1/24” maybe it was meant for sabots? Anybody know the typical twist for an in-line type .50? Do the modern sabot shooting muzzleloaders have a fast twist? Also, pure lead is the standard in muzzleloaders, although I've read about people using wheelweights successfully because that's what they had.

Attached Files

Maven posted this 23 September 2010

WB, As suggested, pure Pb only andlower your powder charge 60 to 80grs. You didn't mention powder granulation, but my 1:28 inline shoots much better with FFg or the RS Pyrodex granulation than it does with FFFg (never tried Pyro. P).  You should wipe after seating the bullet (but before you cap the rifle!) and again after firing it.  Also, a BP lube should be used:  T/C Bore Butter, Ox-Yoke/Traditions iteration of Bore Butter, and 103 Lube if you can find it, work very well.  Btw, a 1/2” diameter shirt cardboard or tablet backing disk cut with a 1/2” arch punch sometimes improves accuracy with plain based concical bullets.  Hope this helps!

Attached Files

tjswallow posted this 23 September 2010

WB, Was surprised to see a 1:28 twist in a Hawken.  Went out to the pedersoli site and sure enough.  Also noted that their recommended bullet is listed as “long bullet for muzzleloader” and is 450 grains.  Would have liked to have seen a picture of the bullet but a .500 bullet that weighs that much would be pretty long and would need the fast twist to stabilize.  Had a T/C Hawken as my first M/L back in the day with a 1:48 twist which worked great with a Maxi ball but I had to really load it down to get it to shoot a patched round ball, .50 cal with a .490 ball and 60 grs 3F.  OK for paper punching or silhouettes but no hunting load.   They are pretty rifles like most Pedersolis but I'm not sure what they were thinking of in terms of a Hawken.  See if you can order some of their bullets and give that a try.  Bet it will really shoot.  Their bullet part number was 521-500.

TJ

Attached Files

tjswallow posted this 24 September 2010

WB,  By the way, I believe the .50 caliber Maxi balls for the T/C Hawkin were 370 gr and I thought they were massive.

TJ

Attached Files

WildBill posted this 24 September 2010

Thanks to every one for all your help. I,m off to the range tomorrow with some soft lead and alot of good information. I,m a new member and just as new to the computer- with getting caught up in trying to get my muzzle loader shooting properly i forgot my manners and never introduced myself. I will do so the next time i get on. Bill

Attached Files

Daryl S posted this 28 September 2010

First of all, please don't use phony powders. They are made with/from potassium perchlorates. Ask a chemist what this means if it doesn't sound bad enough already. When burned, they become quite corrosive. BP fouling will cause rust (if not cleaned), but is not corrosive. I've been shooting black powder a lot for 38 years and have never rusted a barrel. I did rot one with Pyrodex once.

Secondly, at one time, I-too had a .50 cal with a faster than normal rate of twist and it shot beautifully with a Lyman .50 cal. HB mould I gleaned form an old cast bullet shooter. I sized them to fit tightly in the bore and used ordinary criso for lube, filling the grooves.  I used 90gr. 2f and it shot 1” at 100 yards off the bags.  i suggest you do your testing at 50 yards and when you are shooting an inch or 1 1/2", then move out to 100 yards, then farther.  Iron sight shooting is something that must be learned.

The 24” twist and .503” bore size need a longer than normal bullet and a sizer die at .503” to .504".

The only .50 cal bullet I am aware of today that has proper black powder grease grooves, is the Lyman and Lee 450gr. I think Lyman calls theirs #515450 - not sure. Lee just lists weight and diameter and is much cheaper. Both are of the original black powder .50 cal bullet. To sizxe that bullet down to fit the bore, the grease grooves must be filled first.

For lube, I'd use SPG, Lyman's Black Powder Gold or a mix of 60% beeswax, 40% of either vaseline or olive oil.  These all are good black powder lubes, Alox in any form does not work well with real black powder.

I would use pure lead only as it is a muzzleloader and you must be shooting a bullet that is bore size or a tich larger. It actually should engrave a thou or 2 at the muzzle. A nice gentle radiused and polished crown will aid starting the bullets straight - another requirement for accuracy. If the bullets are undersized, they will sit crooked in the breech and shoot poorly as well. Too, an undersized bullet may slide forward off the powder & become an obstruction, rather than a projectile. The result is not pretty and can be dangerous to you and others. Use only 'tight' bullets.

For a factory bullet, I'd try the Hornady flat nosed 450gr. You may have to bump them up a few thousandths so they are tight in the bore.

The 24” twist will stabilize a bullet of over 600gr. weight in .50 cal.

In the future I would think about buying a proper 500gr. bullet mould that had wide, square grease grooves designed for shooting form a BP rifle.  You may have to check with custom mould makers.

802F to 110gr. 2F will be an appropriate powder charge for just such a hunting rifle.

If you already know all this stuff or want to use pistol bulleted plastic jackets that foul the bore and cost a lot of money to shoot, then simply disregard this information.  It's sole intention is to help you get the best you can from what you have.

Attached Files

tjswallow posted this 29 September 2010

WB, It dawned on me from reading some of the other posts that maybe what you might want to try is a 50 caliber minie ball. I know Lee makes a mould, think Lyman may as well. Easier to load since with the hollow base they don't need to be a tight fit that engraves the rifling. The expanding hollow base seals the gases and expands nicely. Been trying to figure how you would ram down a bullet that is engraving rifling even with soft lead and good lube, especially after a shot or two, without mashing it. This may be your answer. Granted most rifle muskets that shoot minies have shallower rifling than what you mentioned. Without seeing how wide your lands are, or how deep your grooves are, think this would still be worth a try. There are vendors out there that sell cast minies. Might be worth looking into before you invest in a mould although the Lee's can usually be had for around 20.00 from the online sellers like Midway, Grafs, and Midsouth. They have to be pure lead to get the expansion. You don't want to load them too hot, need to be careful to not blow off the hollow base “skirt". I'd try 60-65gr 2F to start. Need to find the balance between the right expansion of the hollow base for accuracy without damaging the bullet.

Tim

Attached Files

WildBill posted this 29 September 2010

Thanks Jeff , I tried 50 gr. with the 460gr. bullet and to my surprise I shot a 1/2 group at 50 meters. I didn,t have enough bullets to test any further but i will keep going once i get the approprate mould. (.503 di.) WB

Attached Files

Daryl, theirs a wealth of information there and i thank you for your time and effort, some i knew and some i d not. I will be making notes as i go.WB 

Attached Files

Tim, I tried all the minie balls with out much success.I think the key is to get the proper mould with a good dia. fit and wide grease grooves. Thanks WB

Attached Files

Tim, I wish i had your talents in metal I'd make my own mould. I also wish i knew what i was doing with this computer, o well WB

Attached Files

Daryl S posted this 23 March 2011

Hollow based bullets as any bullet loaded into a muzzleloader MUST be a snug fit if they are to be accurate.

My best results were when they slightly engraved upon loading. Too - they were pure lead only.

24” is a wonderful twist in a .50 rifle.

Pedersoli makes an English style 1/2 stock fast twist rifle, patterned after a Rigby(but I thought .45 cal). I was not aware they made a fast twist Hawken replica.

The 24” twist will stabilize bullets to 600gr. easily, but the stock (and butt plate) might not be up to the recoil such a bullet will provide.

A 450gr. bullet should easily shoot into 1 1/2” at 100 yards. My .50 McGowen barrel on a rolling block, 24” twist shot the 520gr. Lyman bullet into 1 1/2” at 200 yards with 86gr. BP.  I only did little testing/fireforming actually with the 450gr., pointy bullet, unfortunately- but- in an original .50/70 carbine barrel, it shot 3” for me at 100 meters wioth 70gr. of 2f GOEX. That means with better sights, and a new, properly twist barrel, it should indeed shoot well.

You might need to put down a wad between the powder and the bullet base. You might be able to get appropriate sized wads (card or certainly Walter vegetable fibre wads .50 cal. or 32 bore. from Trackofthewolf dot com.

Pure lead should be used. Breech loading BP slug guns use 40:1, 30:1, 20:1, or whatever works in tin to lead- or WW and pure lead mixes.

Pure lead usually works best in a ML due to the amount of slugging up, ie: obturation (expansion via shortening up) it must do to fill the grooves and seal- immediately upon achieving ignition, before it can gas cut. For this reason, a wad sometimes helps.

I would expect a .50 cal with 400gr. to 500gr. bullet would shoot best in that twist with from 70gr. to 110gr. I would certainly start with the lower charge. Squib loads, ie: pistol loads such as 50gr. will not see good accuracy at long range, I would not think. Best to find an accurate load for all ranges.

Be prepared to have to replace the nipple often - slug guns work at much higher pressures than round ball guns and wear/burn out the nipples quickly. Some of the picket bullet shooters replace stainless nipples every 15 shots. Much depends on the stiffness of the mainspring when the hammer is down on the cap. One saving grace for this rifle, is the calibre. A .50 operates at lower pressure than a .45, given the same bullet weight and powder charge. Lower pressure means the nipples last longer. Some of the serious muzzlelaoding bullet shooters use platinum lined nipples. They cost around $80.00 each, I'm told.

Yes- should have mentioned. Wide, square bottomed grease grooves are best. The Lyman #515450 mold, Lee also makes it, was designed for black powder loads. It is the original .50/70 and .50/90 design.  3 wide, square bottomed grooves.

Cast from pure lead, then fill the grooves with lube - 60%Beeswax/40% Vasaline works beautifully - or SPG - or Lyman BP Gold - no ALOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After casting and lubing they can be sized down - you will need a sizer for this mould but it is the best mould/bullet for your purpose that I can think of.   Lee Precision will make you a sizer for abotu $25.00 or $30.00 that fits a normal 7/8x14 loading press. Simply lube the bullets with your fingers or on a tray and use hot lube, solidify method, then push them throught he die- instantly made to correct size.

Since your bore is .503” - that is what the final sizer die should be - .503". This is probably too much of a drop in one pass from .515” - so you might need to buy intermediate dies at .511” and .507".  I size lubed WW or softer bullets down .009” without any damage at all in a die I cut myself. I use the same die for sizing down jacketed bullets - without damage, but in 9.3mm size.  I have friends who have had Lee make them dies for sizing down jacketed bullets and their intermediate dies (2 or 3 die set) works well. perhaps only one intermediate die would be needed for lead only, and soft lead at that. Be aware, if pusing on the nose, you will change it's shape. A properly shaped nose punch will make it a nice flat nose shape for you - or even a perfect Round Nose. Flat is better for hunting.

BTW- before buying a set of sizing dies for bullets, take a bullet of about .515” diameter, lube it and shove it up inside a .300 magnum FL sizing die varying amounts then push it back out.  You will probably find a depth that gives you a perfectly sized bullet.  If you push them in, base first, you will end up with a slight taper, base to top.  Both ways can be tried.  I would try the base first, first, using a normal Lyman or RCBS bullet sizing nose punch to push with, in the loading press's shell holder. At some distance intothe die, the size will be perfect.

A .300 Winchester mag, or 7mm Rem mag, or any short magnum die will work.  A .375H&H die or.300 H&H die will give an even sharper taper, which might be just wonderful. The larger the diameter of the 'ejecotr rod, the less damage to the bullet's nose when pusing it back out.  A .458 mag die will allow about the largest size.  A .350 Rem mag. die would work well, too.

This is what experimenting is all about.

Good luck. Glad to help if I can.

Exciting, isn't it.

oops should have read my other post first.

Attached Files

NITROTRIP posted this 23 March 2011

Hi Daryl, I have a older Traditions 50cal caplock, called the deerslayer. It has a 1 in 22” twist. Shot the heavy Hornady great plains bullet the best. I was given a danaged Maxi-Ball mold 370gr. It had a lot of room ahead of the nose so I lathe bored it moveing the tip another grease groove longer and cutting a wide flat point. Came out to 495gr. The barrel is 23” long and a very thick recoil pad. It shoots best with FFG Goex at 75gr. Any more and the deer/elk will win and you will wake up hanging in there tree. This one only weighs 7 lbs but the comb slopes forward. Very lucky for me that they did that. It will not shoot a round ball at any powder level.

Take care, Rick

Attached Files

Close