cutting lead

• 11K Views
  • Last Post 05 January 2023
99 Strajght posted this 04 July 2010

I have about 10 lead squares 1 in. thick and 8x8 in. I need to cut them in half to fit into my melting pot. I have tried a Hack saw, jig saw and a band saw. They work but at a cost of a lot of time and saw blades. Is there a easer way to cut lead?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Mal in au posted this 05 January 2023

The guys building Tally Ho wooden boat on utube used a chainsaw to chop a very large keel to remelt a new one. 

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 05 January 2023

It sure is fun to read stuff on here!

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
foesgth posted this 04 January 2023

one might locate a friend with a hydrolic log splitter, just use a great deal of discresion.. no fingers in the way. we cut up a bunch of babbit bars with this method..  works for me.                                see ya                                           frank l jr :firefire:fire
This method works like a champ.  I cut a dozen blocks in half to fit in my pot.  Put piece of scrap wood behind the block so the splitting wedge will cut all the way through.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 04 January 2023

I have some pure lead cable sheathing. The sections are 4-5 feet long. I whack off short pieces that fit into the melting pot. A wood splitting maul, a wooden log sitting on the ground. Lay the long piece of sheathing on the face of the log and swing away! Before long you have a pile of short pieces ready fit in the pot. But....don't di this on wet or snow covered ground......Your pot will not like the residual moisture.

Tom

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Duane Mellenbruch posted this 04 January 2023

Cut with sawzall and coarse blade with lube.  Thickness of cut off pieces will fit in the smelting pot.  If you need smaller, Cut thin and fold over the pieces.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
2frogs posted this 04 January 2023

Ok. I have a huge weight from a old clock.maybe 5 inch in diameter,20 inch long. How do I cut that

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 27 August 2021

I have a pile of pure lead cable sheathing pieces. They are about 1/4 to 3/8” thick and 3-4 feet long. Lay one on a round wooden log section and use a wood splitting maul. Makes quick work of them with no airborne lead dust…..and you get a little exercise.

Tom

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ken Campbell Iowa
max503 posted this 26 August 2021

Harbor freight weed burner.wink

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
Bud Hyett posted this 26 August 2021

Melting is better, I realize this takes more setup and work. I've tried both and prefer melting, but I have an old metal pot that holds 120 to 140 pounds to get a one-year supply of a hard alloy for production class. 

Someone with a hydraulic ram press with an axe head welded into the end will cut into the lead and work well. Big chunks of five to ten pounds to drop into the pot. I had this setup and am working to get another similar setup. 

The Sawzall is another approach with coarse blade and a way to catch the chips. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

bighammer posted this 26 August 2021

Using a torch can cause toxic fumes (I'm told) so you don't want to inhale them. 

I have been looking for a way to cut up a chunk about 2' x 3' about 5" thick. It's about 1800 pounds. I don't really want to use a saw and create a bunch of dust/shavings, but a torch would probably take a while. I can't imagine trying to get thru that thickness with an axe. Any other suggestions?

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Scota4570 posted this 24 October 2013

Yeah, bandsaw, easy. You need to use some lube or the blade will stick. Make a track of oil, any kind, ie 30W, Gear oil, STP, then, cut along the track. I just cut up a 60# brick the other day. Cuts very fast, wood blade, metal blade, does not matter. Just don't see how fast you can go, let the chips clear.

Attached Files

idpasharpshooter posted this 11 April 2013

i use a 2 inch wide chisel and a hydraulic press.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • 2frogs
Pigslayer posted this 13 January 2013

Ed Harris wrote: In addition to spraying the kerf line with WD40, loading the saw teeth by dragging across a bar of Ivory soap or Gulf paraffin canning wax in addition helps greatly!

I have to agree in that the Ivory soap or paraffin on the blade is the way to go. I also do that when cutting aluminum on my metal cutting bandsaw. It works like cutting oil does when tapping/threading.

Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 13 January 2013

onondaga wrote: There is another simple answer too. I prop big blocks of lead up on an angle with bricks and torch them. You can melt a trough and drip drip directly into ingot molds. When it gets smaller and you can hold the piece with a pliers and gloved hand, you can still drip it right into an ingot mold. No cutting at all. This works best with 2 people, one torching , the other moving ingot molds and lead block.

It is fast, easy and you only need an oxy/acetylene torch or a good Mapp torch,

Gary

Gary,

That is a good way to do it. But have you priced acetylene lately? I just  exchanged mine for a full one . . . holy crap! & I only have the “B” size tank! Bought a bottle of Mapp gas the other day to do some silver soldering . . . almost $10.00!

Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 13 January 2013

There is another simple answer too. I prop big blocks of lead up on an angle with bricks and torch them. You can melt a trough and drip drip directly into ingot molds. When it gets smaller and you can hold the piece with a pliers and gloved hand, you can still drip it right into an ingot mold. No cutting at all. This works best with 2 people, one torching , the other moving ingot molds and lead block.

It is fast, easy and you only need an oxy/acetylene torch or a good Mapp torch,

Gary

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 12 January 2013

I have a metal cutting bandsaw that I use with a 14TPI blades. Works fine.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 12 January 2013

In addition to spraying the kerf line with WD40, loading the saw teeth by dragging across a bar of Ivory soap or Gulf paraffin canning wax in addition helps greatly!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
fa38 posted this 12 January 2013

Dale 53 quote >>I had 750 lbs of large ingots (65-92 lbs each). I used my standard smelting set up (a Turkey/Fish fryer burner and a six quart dutch oven from Harbor Freight):<<

What really helps when you have a lot of lead to do is to have a propane weed burner along with the turkey fryer-cast iron pot.  You hit the lead from the top with the weed burner and it is almost an instant melt.  Cuts the total melt time by two thirds.  My weed burner moved to Arkansas with my brother:(.

Attached Files

Ringer posted this 12 January 2013

I use an air chisel when I have heavy lead to cut. Ringer

Attached Files

fa38 posted this 12 January 2013

A few years back a friend had some counterweights from a big front end loader. They were about 6 inches thick and something like 5 by 3 foot. He used a jack hammer with a chisel blade.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close