6.5 Grendel?

• Last Post 21 January 2024
ten-mile posted this 18 January 2024

Has anyone been using the 6.5 Grendel? A few years ago a guy shot one a couple of times at our local matches.  It looked like there was potential with that caliber but he quit coming due to health and distance.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
MP1886 posted this 18 January 2024

I had one and sorry I sold it. I found the SAECO 140 grain bullet looked like it was made for that rifle, but of course it wasn't. It's a bore rider. It's absolutely critical that the nose of the bullet fits with a little resistance that even barely engraves it.  With 4198 powder mine was exceptionly accurate.  I know the bullet is heavy for that caliber, but my rifle loved it. I could get in the low 2000 fps range with it. Most my velocities were in the 18-1900 fps bracket. As mentioned the nose has to fit the bore as I said. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Millelacs posted this 21 January 2024

MP1886.  If your rifle didn't like the SAECO 140 gr bullet, and your rifle was exceptionally accurate, what bullet were you using that your rifle liked?

I have an AR in 6,5 Grendel that I've been meaning to get out.  I have the 6,5 Grendel that your rifle didn't like.  If mine doesn't like the SAECO bullet I wonder what else I should try.

Attached Files

MP1886 posted this 21 January 2024

The big problem are you are extremely limited to short bullets because it has a very short throat. Remember it was designed to shoot aroud a 120 some grain jacketed bullet. I did take some Loverin style bullets, before I got that Saeco bullet, and sized down the nose of them far enought that it would all fit throats.  I only did that for awhile and I was able to get 3/4 inch group at 50 yards with them. BTW I exclusively used H4198.  There was also a big difference in the loads and velocity using the Lapua cases (small rifle primers) and sized down whatever brand of 7.62x39 brass (large rifle primers).  Hope that helps some. The Grendel is plauged some as a cast bullet cartridge because, as stated, it was designed as a jacketed round, that is by the throat design.

Attached Files

Close