What I'd like to see from S&W

• 6.2K Views
  • Last Post 19 July 2008
CB posted this 17 December 2006

Dear Santa,

I want S&W to make a K Frame, Round Butt, Fixed Site, 5 Shot, 44 Spec. with a 3 inch barrel wearing a set of fancy Hogue wooden grips. Really nothing more than a 5 shot Mdl 13 in 44 Special. Stainless would be OK but to my eyes blue revolvers just seem natural and pretty. 

Seems like it'd be a lot of fun with a 200 Gr bullet at about 700 fps. Nothing earth shattering but fun none the less and easy to drag around. Maybe next year........

Pat Iffland

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Santa posted this 17 December 2006

Well Hello Pat I was beginning to think you didn't believe anymore.

Unfortunately your specific request is beyond my ability to fill. You see the lawmakers in your country have these rules and you need to obtain a purchase permit and I would need to get a FFL in order to get you what you have asked for.

There is also these ladies running rampant in your country, Hillary, Diane and Barbara that have made it virtually impossible to give firearms as gifts.

And Diane and Barbara want to exterminate some of my reindeer!

Anyhow that is my problem not yours.

Could I interest you in a nice toy train?

Santa

Attached Files

CB posted this 17 December 2006

Santa wrote: Could I interest you in a nice toy train?

Santa No thanks but since you've proven yourself to be somewhat useless to me a few 10 gauge shotgun shells to replace the ones I'm going to use on the nite of Dec 24th would be nice. 

You don't think I'd need a hunting license for flying reindeer do ya?

Pat

Attached Files

Santa posted this 17 December 2006

Oh Pat I am disapointed.

You shouldn't threaten Santa or his reindeer, lest you forgot, Santa knows when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake, he knows when you've been bad or good and most of all, so be good for goodness sake!

I see it will be a lump of coal for you this year.

(should of taken the train kid, besides you'll shoot your eye out)

Santa

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 19 December 2006

What I'd like to see S&W do is go back to cut rifling their barrels and get rid of that electronic discharge machining system they are using now.  We tried that when I was at Ruger back in 1985 and the NRA also tested barrels by that process then and it was a dismal failure.

A friend recently spent big bucks on a .357 S&W revolver to use in PPC matches and with good .38 wadcutters which will stay under 1-1/2” at 50 yards off a Ransom rest from my Colt Officers Model Match, this piece of junk won't stay in 6 inches!  I've seen several other of these barrels which don't shoot for sour apples and even reading the write-ups in gun magazines on the new Smith's you'd think the gun writers can't shoot anymore bragging about guns which won't do any better than 3” at 25 yards.

Anyhow, if any of you guys have a Colt Python 6” barrel from the 1970s or so floating around your shop, I'd like to buy it for Claude Cooper to have Jerry Keefer put on his new S&W.  The “Smolt” conversion was popular for PPC guns back in the 1970s and the 14” twist used by Colt was always a better outfit for wadcutters than the 18-3/4” twist used by S&W. 

If you are shooting an S&W .38 Special the most accurate cast bullet load will probably be the Saeco #348 double-end, bevel based wadcutter with 3.5 grs. of Bullseye (about 850 f.p.s.) because you need to get the rotational velocity up for adequate gyroscoipic stability to last the course to 50 yards.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

dahermit posted this 29 December 2006

pat i. wrote: Dear Santa,

I want S&W to make a K Frame, Round Butt, Fixed Site, 5 Shot, 44 Spec. with a 3 inch barrel wearing a set of fancy Hogue wooden grips. Really nothing more than a 5 shot Mdl 13 in 44 Special. Stainless would be OK but to my eyes blue revolvers just seem natural and pretty. 

Seems like it'd be a lot of fun with a 200 Gr bullet at about 700 fps. Nothing earth shattering but fun none the less and easy to drag around. Maybe next year........

Pat Iffland

I have a 5-shot .44 spl. model 696.  This is an L frame.  Therefore, I suspect that a K frame cylinder might be too small for a 5-shot .44 spl...  Or be I wrong and it has been done?

Regards,

dahermit

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 02 January 2007

I once tested a custom K-frame .44 Special which was built in the 1970s and while it was OK with light factory loads, cylinder walls were VERY thin and you don't want to load above factoryt load pressures.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

CB posted this 08 January 2007

dahermit wrote: I have a 5-shot .44 spl. model 696.  This is an L frame.  Therefore, I suspect that a K frame cylinder might be too small for a 5-shot .44 spl...  Or be I wrong and it has been done?

Regards,

dahermit

Don't know why Smith quit making that gun. If they'd give a choice between fixed or adjustable sites and keep everything else the same it'd be almost perfect (still like the idea of a K frame but could live with an L). There must be some interest in the 696 because they go for a pretty good buck if you can find one.

Pat

Attached Files

Lloyd Smale posted this 14 January 2007

Ill take a L frame in 10mm with clips. the return of the 610 10mm a snub nosed k frame in .40 smith. A factory ppc gun on a k frame. A 500 special on an N frame WITHOUT THE PORTS!

Attached Files

MT Gianni posted this 15 January 2007

4” Model 16 32 H&R. .

Attached Files

Lloyd Smale posted this 15 January 2007

MT Gianni wrote: 4” Model 16 32 H&R. . oooo!! id take one of them too!!

Attached Files

454PB posted this 25 January 2007

It's not a S&W, and it has adjustable sights, but I have a very accurate Taurus 441 in .44 special.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 11 February 2007

Just this week I picked up a Taurus Tracker in .44 magnum. I really like the looks of this piece. I haven't shot it yet, but am anticipating a good time.

One glitch, cylinder length will not allow use of the Lyman Keith 429421 bullet in .44 magnum cases. That combination is too long. However, I bought this piece as a relatively light, easy carry field piece for primary use with the “Skeeter load” (7.5 grs of Unique behind the Keith 429421 bullet).

This situation is pretty much like the Lyman Keith 357429 bullet in the S&W Model 27. That bullet and case combination won't work, either.

I am a fan of Keith bullets, but I am not wed to them. If I need to get a “Round Flat” nose that is shorter overall, I can do that.

All in all, I DO like the concept of the Taurus Tracker.

Dale53

Attached Files

454PB posted this 12 February 2007

Dale, I've used the Lyman 429244 and 429215 in short cylinders with great success.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 12 February 2007

454PB; I will also. It'll just take the .44 special case instead of the .44 magnum case. The “Skeeter Load” is 7.5 grs Unique behind a 240-250 gr Keith in a .44 Special Case.

SAAMI standards for .44 magnum are about .100” short of a .44 magnum case and a Keith (Lyman 429421) crimped in the crimp groove.

I'll just work around it.

Dale53

Attached Files

riksea posted this 21 April 2007

All you have to do is trim your cases back so when you're crimped properly, you have about .020 clearance from the end of the cylinder, and then test the recoil to be sure the crimp is enough to keep the bullets from sliding forward during recoil and locking the cylinder up-------and have Veral Smith (LBT) make you a mold with crimp groove and nose length to fit, with or without gas check, and it will be even better than “Elmer” designed it.   I do this all the time with the short cylinder Dan Wessons.

:)         ;)          :D

Riksea                (Rik Seaman)

Attached Files

carbone131 posted this 22 January 2008

Hello

I carry a 2 1/2 inch S&W  296 rb   44 spec.

Changed to Houge grips

Does not get any better

Constant companion

Jim

Attached Files

buckbrush posted this 03 March 2008

How about returning to a quality product? S+W quality has been spiraling downward since the early '80's.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 03 March 2008

I have two S&W 625-8's and a new 642 and they are ALL exemplary revolvers. They shoot extremely well and I can hardly fault them as new factory examples. I also have a recently purchased S&W 629 “Light Hunter” from the Performance Center. It looks just wonderful but truthfully, I have only shot it a bit so can't talk about how well it really shoots. My 625-8 has been shot probably 1000 rounds or so and I have not seen a more accurate target revolver. I have some that equal it, but none better.

So, apparently, my experience differs from some on here. I have been supremely happy with the new S&W's that I have personally used.

Dale53

Attached Files

CB posted this 04 March 2008

I subscribe to Gun Tests and they sum it all up in a sentence.. Until pride in american workmanship returns, we will only get average quality from US gun makers.

They just did a test on Taurus, Ruger and S&W in a 44 mag and the Taurus came out on top. Oddly S&W only scored a B while Ruger scored a B+ and the Taurus scored an A.  

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 05 March 2008

I am not too surprised.  I have not had much experience with Taurus but my last 5 new guns have been Rugers.  However the most accurate gun I own  is a S&W 625.

Attached Files

NoDakJak posted this 19 July 2008

Several years ago I did a test of a Taurus Tracker in 41 Magnum.  The action certainly could have benefitted by polishing the working parts but the handling was superb and with 8.0 grains of Unique behind a 210 grain semiwacutter cast of acww it proved to be one of the most accurate revolvers that I have ever handled.  I have been trying to talk the owner out of it but to no avail.  What a Trail Gun it would make!    Ah well!       Neil

Attached Files

Our 6422 members have posted 91686 times in 6268 discussions

Latest Members:
Members Currently Online:

About Us

The Cast Bullet Association is an organization of shooters who enjoy shooting cast lead bullets in rifles and handguns for competition, hunting, or informal target shooting. The Association's central purpose is to help shooters enjoy casting bullets

NetBuilderPro by Morganids IDS Inc. • All Right Reserved © Cast Bullet Association 2016-2024;  Legal Disclaimer