44 Special

• 8.3K Views
  • Last Post 28 September 2009
JetMech posted this 10 June 2009

I have one of the new Ruger 44 Specials with a 5 1/2” tube from Lipsey's enroute to my local dealer. Any mold recommendations? I'll mostly be punching paper.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
KenK posted this 10 June 2009

I really like my Saeco #429.  It is a RNFP 240 grain.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 10 June 2009

Congratulations on your new baby. Do you already have any .44 molds? I've got the Lee 310 gr. .430 on the way, I could send you some of those when I get it rollin', if you want a combination target/ polar bear load.:shock: Elmer would be proud.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 10 June 2009

No molds, yet. I've never had a 44, and the space of a month, it looks like I've acquired 2. My brother traded me a 44 Mag SBH that he put a custom bull barrel and Millet sights on, then Don Caillier at Lispey's sent me an email that he would send the next available Ruger Flat Top to my local dealer for me! It's built on the smaller 357 BH frame.

That 310gn LEE in the Special might be a handful, but I'll bet in the SBH it would be fun. I'll send you a PM when I get set up to roll a few rounds. Thanks.

Regards,

Bill

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 10 June 2009

I like Saeco #441 with 5 grs. of Bullseye in my .44 Special.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

jimkim posted this 10 June 2009

I'll go out on a limb and recommend the Lyman 429421 or one of it's many copies.

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 10 June 2009

second the 429421 especially with a square lube groove. you can pump this one up to good vels with 2400. if you like the lee's their 240 swc in a 6 cavity is hard to beat in the special with 4 grs titegroup, it makes a fine target load.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 11 June 2009

Lyman's 429421 appears to be an accurate version of Elmer's design, with the square grease groove. I think that's a good place to start, with Skeeter's favorite load, 7.5 gn Unique.

Thanks, Gents.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 13 June 2009

I have been a .44 Special Fan for many, many years and have an original 6½” S&W Model 24, a 4” S&W 624, a 6½” Model 624, and a Colt Clone 4 3/4". They all shoot extremely well with the Keith 429421 or the H&G #503 (both Keith style cast bullets with a nominal weight of 240-250 grs).

I have recently sponsored a Group Buy mould (on the Cast Boolit Forum)to be made by MiHec of Slovenia:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=53437

If you hurry (it is already in production with moulds expected in less than a month) you may be able to get on board.

Here is the web site of the mould maker:

http://www.mp-molds.com/index.php?pr=Molds

I am a fan of six cavity aluminum moulds for good production. These particular moulds are made of much nicer material than Lee's and the dimensions are held correctly.

If you want a visual treat, look at the videos at MiHec's web site on operation of his CNC machinery.

FWIW

Dale53

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 13 June 2009

Thanks, Dale! I got the order in. This will be my first aluminum mold.

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 13 June 2009

Mihec's work is outstanding.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 13 June 2009

I have one of the Ruger Lipsey Specials on order, myself. I have NO idea when I'll get it. I have been waiting for a couple of months. Hopefully, I'll get mine next month.

I consider the .44 Special with the 240-250 Keith bullet (Lyman 429421 or H&G #503, etc) ahead of 7.5 grs of Unique (the Skeeter load) to be the quintessential all round field load. This will give about 1000 fps and will shoot through a whitetail deer end for end. It should also be good black bear medicine and certainly all anyone needs for routine self defense. I have also used this load on edible small game without excessive meat damage. My family has always appreciated table small game without a mouthful of bird shot.

In a revolver such as an S&W 624 or the recently released Ruger Lipsey Special you can hardly do better.

I wouldn't argue with anyone about their choice of a field caliber if they chose a .45 Colt or even a .44 Magnum but a relatively light single action such as the medium frame Ruger Lipsey or the light 624 in .44 Special is hard to beat.

Adequate power for most jobs and good packing weight and good handling - what's not to like?

John Taffin has coined the phrase “Packin' Pistol” and he is spot on.

I have a number of the heavy hitters (.454 Casull and .375 JDJ, as an example) but in recent years have really enjoyed more practical all around guns for most use. I find myself increasingly enjoying good target loads in my .44 Special, .45 ACP, and .32's and .38's. An “X” still excites me and when I get a bunch of them I positively GLOW:thumbsup:. I still shoot the 'heavies' on occasion but my real enjoyment lies with “light":cool:.

FWIW Dale53

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 13 June 2009

Sounds like those Lipsey Rugers should make the 'favorite trail gun' list here on another thread. I have a old Blackhawk .357 with a 51/2” barrel that's nice to carry, these new ones should be even better.

Attached Files

Rodfac posted this 14 June 2009

My vote goes to Lyman's 429215 GC. Sized .430” and cast from straight wheel weights, my two Rugers, .44 Spl & .44 Magnum, and a pair of S&W's, M-29 Classic and a 24-3, give stellar accuracy. Sized .432” with Ranch Dog's Lee die sizer and lubed with LLA, I get 1+” gps at 50 yds from a Marlin '64 vintage 336. In my son's 1894 Marlin, gps are virtually the same.

Wheel weights fill out the mold to 216 gr and at that weight, it uses less metal than the heavier 429421 or similar 240 - 250 gr propositions. (Who'd a guessed?)

Win 231 is my current powder of choice. 6.5 gr or 7.2 gr work well.

Regards, Rodfac

The upper pic is of a 50th Anniversary .44 Magnum, the lower is a Lipsey's 4 5/8” .44 Spl.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 16 June 2009

:shock:Rodfac; I have heard good reports on the Lyman 429215 for many years. However, since it requires a gas check, I tend to stay away from a gas checked pistol bullet as I have not needed them. I cast in volume (match quality but in quantity) and the extra expense (especially now:shock:) and aggravation rules them out for me.

I am just a bit jealous of the Lipsey Special (I have had one ordered for going on the third month). I forgot to mention in my post above that I also own one of the 50th Anniversary .44 magnums, also. It is a recent addition to the “herd". I need a pair of over size grips for it (working on that) and a trigger job. It surely needs a trigger job (as do every Ruger I ever owned and I have owned a few). After those two things are taken care of, I'll be a happy camper (until I get the Lipsey and have to do the same things to it/images/emoticons/134.gif).

Dale53

Attached Files

Rodfac posted this 17 June 2009

Dale...You need better friends in the gun dealer trade. That said...I do like the Lipsey Spl.....I'd say it's my favorite at this point, at least out here on the farm...for carry or bedside night stand use, I still prefer a .45 ACP Commander.

I've added a pair of Ajax simulated, aged ivory grips...can't say if I've posted a pic here...see below.

I do like the 429215 GC and have some experience with it as a sans GC bullet. Gps opened...what few I shot...about 1/2” at 25...but still in the 2” range. It's easier to just size it and shoot it that's for sure.

My particular mold for that old Thompson design has a base (GC) groove that's slightly oversize...ie., the Lyman or Hornady GC won't slip on. I have to expand either with...no sh-t...a polished ball peen hammer, tapped lightly with another hammer. It works, and the checks slip on and size perfectly. Light or hard taps, seems to make no difference.

Too, I tried just seating them anyway. Lopsided to start with and a thin shaving of lead in the top of the groove after, but seated square to the axis of the bullet.  Looks sloppy,,,and is...but accuracy was just about the same...maybe 1/2” bigger, but the look of that thin shaving drove me nuts...so I've returned to the tap and seat method.

Shooting straight wheel weight alloys gc'd or not, seems to make no difference now...that I've got 300 rds through it...and it's companion, the 50th 44 Mag. Both seem to like the .430” sizing best. I've run .432” gc'd ones through them both with no ill effect and accuracy...the same...for the most part sub-2” gps. They're both just great shooters. The .432” sizing was an attempt to get one size bullet that would work through my Marlin and the Rugers and Smiths. If I'm satisfied with 2” gps in the revolvers, it'll work. But those sub 1.5” gps keep a callin'.  LOL

Grip size felt small, ie across the web at first, then I acclimated to it...made the adjustments to my grip and both shot well. The new Ajax grips are considerably thicker...across the web...like nearly a quarter of an inch...and feel better. I haven't tried them with full house magnums as yet but they'll undoubtedly help with felt recoil. Their on the Lipsey's for now, I may change that as the hunting season approaches and I'll want the Magnum for deer.

As to the trigger work...I'm sure you're aware of the, “slip one leg of the trigger return spring off its peg” method of lightening the pull, and the, “push hard on the hammer while dry firing” method to smooth out the creep. Both worked very well on a New Vaquero in 45 LC, as well as both 44's. I shoot some hi-power competition, and a smooth creep doesn't really bother me... as it feels somewhat like the two-stage military trigger. Regards, Rodfac

Here's a pic of the Ajax grips:

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 17 June 2009

Rodfac wrote: Dale...You need better friends in the gun dealer trade. I guess so. It took 1 week for mine to come in! The grips do feel small. I like your grips. Might have to look into a set. Now if only the mold would come in that quick.....

Attached Files

Rodfac posted this 17 June 2009

Dollar...I do like those new Ajax grips..thicker at the top gives me a better, more consistent hold. I'm a pinkie under guy and the new grips help with that. They were almost six weeks from time of order to receipt though. Regards, Rodfac

Attached Files

gunarea posted this 18 June 2009

Hey Bill My wife and I both can vouch for the accuracy of the 215gr semi wad that Lyman makes. The four cavity mould we use is twenty years old and as of last week still makes some fine slugs. We both compete at state level with awards attesting to the bullets accuracy. Although a gas check design, it does fine without one. Loaded under 1000 fps with either Red dot, 231 or Bullseye gives groups just under chicken size at NRA Hunter pistol matches. I have 310gr, 240gr and 200gr moulds as well but prefer the 215gr sized at .430 for both accuracy and economy. In paper it will cut a clean hole and on steel it is capable of toppling even rams with good shot placement. Deep seating with a solid crimp gets the job done with a touch less powder too. The wife and I have a handful of state medals using flat top Rugers along with the 215gr 44 cast bullet. In the past 45 years we have never used anything but our own home cast and loaded bullets. You are correct about the 310gr being a handful but it carries very well at longer distances. In Florida the deer are kinda small so I don't use a 44 but rather a 357 so my hunting input doesn't really count. In any case your Ruger will probably be fun to shoot.

Roy

Shoot often, Shoot well

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 04 July 2009

Well, the sun is SHINING!! I took delivery of my new Ruger Lipsey Special Thursday afternoon. I took it to the range yesterday for the initial trials. I am crippled up a bit (old back injury that has returned :X) so didn't do any shooting offhand. I did shoot a couple of loads from a rest. I did nothing remarkable but the Lipsey seems to want to shoot. I have a Group Buy 200 gr W/C mould that is working well. Of course, my main bullet with this revolver will no doubt be the 240-250 gr Keith. I can't wait to get my new six cavity MiHec mould for the H&G #503 Keith.

My revolver has the correct dimensions (cylinder throats are .4315” and both throats and chambers are quite smooth). The polishing is a shade better than my recently acquired 50th Anniversary .44 Magnum (quite good, actually) and the blue is nicely done. The trigger is heavy and creepy but that will be corrected. All in all, I am extremely happy with this new revolver. It seems to be living up to it's hype:D.

I can see why people are excited with this concept (we have only been waiting for this for fifty years:D).

Dale53

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 14 August 2009

I took another trip to the range with my Ruger .44 Lipsey Special 5½” revolver.

I have serious vision problems so have pretty much gone over to the dark side (Red Dot Sights). I have been shooting extensively with these and having absolutely EXCELLENT results.

All of that said, I recently acquired a set of flip up glasses (1.5 power) from Champion's Choice:

http://www.champchoice.com/prod-CARSON_1_5x_POWER_CLIP_ON,_FLIP_UP_MAGNIFYING_LENSES-2151.aspx>http://www.champchoice.com/prod-CARSON15xPOWERCLIPON,FLIPUPMAGNIFYINGLENSES-2151.aspx

I can now see the front sight clearly:dude: (even tho' I have to use my “off” eye).

I am having to retrain myself to open sights since my defection to optical sights but it is coming along rather well, all things considered.

At any rate, I shot four ten shot targets with the “Lipsey” and the last target was pretty dern good. I didn't save it (it wasn't THAT good:P) by it was rather satisfying (standing using the timed fire target at 25 yards: I shot a 97 with three nines but the interesting point is the seven tens and “X's” were in a ragged 1½” hole. I have improved the trigger but it still needs some more work. It is 3.0 lbs (which is my preference) but it still has too much creep.

As I learn to shoot this revolver with the “don't fit me grips", and the groups are getting smaller, I realize that the rear sight is off center to the right, a bit (not a problem) but I could use a slightly higher front sight. The sight is bottomed out and I am still shooting a bit too high. I have heard others complain about the short Ruger front sights and apparently the complaints are justified.

I have a jewelers torch and will probably put a drop of silver solder on top and file to size if continued shooting shows this to be necessary. It would seem to me that Ruger could put a little more height on their front sights... Or-r-r, better yet, make the front sight interchangeable. It is pretty dern expensive to have a gunsmith put a replacement front sight on plus doing without the revolver for who knows how long. At my age, I don't even buy green bananas...:D

In all fairness, tho', I bought an S&W 8 3/8” Model 29 years ago. I scoped it for deer hunting (and have taken several nice deer with it). At any rate, the issue front sight would not allow me to zero using full loads. However, I was shooting at the Winter Nationals (IPSC) at Cincinnati, Ohio and Austin Behlert ( a well known pistolsmith on the National Scene) was set up there. He was kind enough to swap out my front sight for one of the correct height (at no cost, I might add). It was helpful to be able to give him the needed dimensions so no guessing was involved. It was also helpful that the front sight was pinned it, so replacement was simple.

At any rate, the more I shoot the Lipsey Special, the better I like it. I just wish that Hogue or Pachmayr would tool up and produce their rubber grips for the New Vaquero grip frames that are found on these revolvers. That would totally solve the “grip problem” for me and allow me to shoot this revolver to its potential (and REAL potential is what it has).

Ruger has built a “near custom” revolver that a lot of us have been waiting on for a long time. The results, overall, have been VERY satisfying. I am MORE than pleased. It is a very nice concept and it has been executed quite well, all things considered.

FWIW Dale53

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 20 August 2009

As a matter of information to those here who might have ordered the MiHec six cavity H&G, .44 Caliber 250 gr Keith bullet mould, it is to ship on Monday.

Please check in to the website on that thread to get the official announcement so you can get your money in (you pay with PayPal and the mould gets shipped immediately). It normally takes five business days to receive from Europe (at least my last one did).

I can't wait.

Back on topic: My Lipsey Special is continuing to please. I had another range session, and the planets were aligned, and I had a nice target. I was shooting standing at 25 yards on the timed fire target. The score was only a 97x100 but the seven 10's and X's were in one ragged hole about 1½” in diameter. With my poor vision and iron sights, I'll take it!!

I was shooting the H&G #503 bullet ahead of 4.1 grs of Clays (about like a factory load for the .44 Special - which is to say, mild).

Dale53

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 28 August 2009

Dale53 wrote: the MiHec six cavity H&G, .44 Caliber 250 gr Keith bullet mould, it is to ship on Monday.

The score was only a 97x100 but the seven 10's and X's were in one ragged hole about 1½” in diameter. With my poor vision and iron sights, I'll take it!! I got the email yesterday, so the mold should be on the way!

I can only dream about a 1 1/2” group. I love my Rugers, but I'm not sure they love me. Truthfully, I'm a better rifle shot than pistol, but I keep working at it. :fire

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 06 September 2009

I received my mould Thursday! My first custom mould. Still in the process of moving and setting up a shop but examining the mould, it's a piece of art. Can't wait to start casting some bullets! My first aluminum, and first 6 holer also. This should be fun.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 06 September 2009

DB, congratulations and good luck with the new mold. Have fun and keep us posted. tt

Attached Files

bruce posted this 07 September 2009

Is there an advantage of .44 Special over .45LC? It seems like they would be very similar. I have a .45LC Ruger. I've fired a box of heavy duty Buffalo Bore through it, but mostly load lead semi-wadcutter over Red Dot to kill paper plates. Both rounds make holes that are easy to distinguish from those made by .22LR.

Just curious.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 15 September 2009

bruce; If you have a large frame Ruger, the only advantage of the .44 Special over the .45 Colt is the .44 Lipsey Special is a bit more compact than the .45 Colt.

However, if you are talking about the New Vaquero, with it's strength limitations (it is the same frame size as the .44 Special), then the .44 Special can be loaded to a good bit higher power level than the .45 Colt simply because of greater thickness in the cylinder of the .44 compared to the .45.

All in all, the .44 Lipsey Special is a VERY nice package. It can be loaded to a 250 Keith at 1200 fps or used with a 200 gr W/C or RF at 700 for paper punching with great comfort.

A light target load also does a fine job on edible small game. Yes, it will do the job as a fine trail gun although, in truth, it may be a bit heavy for some. I won't find that so, but others might.

I have used the “Medium” load exemplified by the old “Skeeter” load of 7.5 grs of Unique behind a 240-250 Keith bullet on edible small game (950 fps or so). It is certainly a heavier load than needed, but if you shoot a “bunny” through the head or through the slats, there is no meat waste (and you definitely do NOT have to shoot them twice /images/emoticons/134.gif).

FWIW Dale53

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 28 September 2009

Here is my best target with the .44 Lipsey Special. I was shooting a light target load (4.1 of Clays behind a 250 gr MiHec H&G #503 Clone - WW's + 2% tin sized to .430":

Attached Files

Close