Heat treated WW in Glocks

• 2.8K Views
  • Last Post 20 February 2009
GBertolet posted this 15 February 2009

Has anyone tried heat treated WW in Glocks? I have a 40 and a 9mm. I have been told Glocks do not like lead bullets because of the polygonal rifling and tapered bore. And as per the Glock armorer at the local Glock match I should not use them in Glock barrels.

I am not much of a Glock fan but I won both of them at matches by chance, so I might as well use them.

I used to just go with the program, and used FMJ for shooting as suggested, but now as jacketed bullet prices are crazy, I am willing to revisit this forbidden subject.

I am hoping oven treated WW will not lead at factory velocities.

Does anyone have any personal experiences, good or bad?  

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
rbdave posted this 15 February 2009

dont know but have another question. will shooting lead bullets in a glock affect accuracy with jacketed after cleaning well. a friend bought a used glock 40 cal.dont know model but it shot  poorly with factory ammo, ie all over the place. he was new to handguns so i tried it with about the same results.i have heard that after lead bullets are used in a glock that you need a new aftermarket barrel  with different style of rifleing to shoot well again. anyboby haveany thoughts on this??

Attached Files

CB posted this 16 February 2009

I have never tried it but from what I hear from people that shoot these in the PPC matches at my local club it that the Glock factory barrels dont shoot lead well and lead up very badly.

The good news is that you can buy a drop in aftermarket match grade barrel and that solves the problem.

Attached Files

CB posted this 16 February 2009

I have never tried it but from what I hear from people that shoot these in the PPC matches at my local club it that the Glock factory barrels dont shoot lead well and lead up very badly.

The good news is that you can buy a drop in aftermarket match grade barrel and that solves the problem.

Attached Files

Jimlakeside posted this 16 February 2009

I have two Glock 34s. One has a factory barrel and has never seen a factory round through it. I have shot 1000s of cast bullets from wheel weights through it. After about 600 rounds I begin to get slight leading in the very front of the barrel. It cleans out with no problem. The other Glock has a Lone Wolf barrel ($99.00 + shipping). I have been very happy with this barrel and it has never leaded. Eventually I will get another LW barrel just so I don't have to worry one bit about leading.

:lovecast:

Attached Files

GBertolet posted this 16 February 2009

I was sort of hoping that heat treated ww would be closer enough to jacketed in hardness, that I could get away with using it without massive leading. Years ago I used commercialy cast bullets (relativly soft) in the 40 cal Glock and within 25 shots I could hardly see the rifling, so I gave up. I got a mold for my Para 40,a Lyman 175 gr and the need to know urge has hit me again. Can I make this work or should I just get Lone Wolf barrels for both Glocks and be done with it? Experimenting is half the fun,right? 

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 16 February 2009

In Italy ,tons of lead alloy commercial cast and swaged bullets are shot in 9mm and 40 Glocks in pratical shooting  competitions.

I have never heard of ill effects.

I have read that the polygonal barres may raise dangerously pressures ,being too slick inside.

I have a poligonal bore USC 45ACP carbine in which I shoot without ill effects,low pressure soft cast bullets loads.

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 16 February 2009

The Glock .40 is supposed to have an unsupported chamber and one should be leery of shooting full throttle reloads. The cases wear out in the unsupported area and can blow out.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 16 February 2009

I don't own a Glack, but shoot with friends that do. All of them use cast bullets and report no problems.  If you read the disclaimer and instructions that come with the pistol you will find that it WILL NOT SHOOT cast bullets, or any type of handload at all.  As to the reports of high plressures; since when hav e cast bullets created higher pressures than equally sized jacketed bullets.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Vacek posted this 16 February 2009

I put a Lone Wolf barrel on my Glock 17 and have been shooting Lee TL Truncated Cone design. The loads shoot very well as to accuracy. The only problem is that I went with 3 grains of 231 and that is not enough to cycle the action. However, very nice light load and shoots as sighted.

Attached Files

Duane Trusty posted this 20 February 2009

To: billwnr With few acceptions all autoloading pistols will have an “unsupported” cut out in the bottom of the chamber to ease the feeding. You are correct in that Glock 40 S&W Chambers are a little excessive, same as the Colt 1911's that have been set up for target soft ball loads. I recall a day when I blew a 45 case in a throated 1911. heck of a way to eject the magazine. The Lone Wolf and other after market barrels in 40 S&W are not relieved in the extreme as factory Glock.

To: Vacek I have a G17 and use 3.0 Bullseye with a 158 grain round nose bullet (sized .357) Lee factory crimp die and factory springs used. This is a load listed in old Lyman manuals and is a real pussy cat. I do use a LWD barrel in the G17.

Hope this helps

Duane

Attached Files

To: billwnr With few acceptions all autoloading pistols will have an “unsupported” cut out in the bottom of the chamber to ease the feeding. You are correct in that Glock 40 S&W Chambers are a little excessive, same as the Colt 1911's that have been set up for target soft ball loads. I recall a day when I blew a 45 case in a throated 1911. heck of a way to eject the magazine. The Lone Wolf and other after market barrels in 40 S&W are not relieved in the extreme as factory Glock.

To: Vacek I have a G17 and use 3.0 Bullseye with a 158 grain round nose bullet (sized .357) Lee factory crimp die and factory springs used. This is a load listed in old Lyman manuals and is a real pussy cat. I do use a LWD barrel in the G17.

Hope this helps

Duane

Attached Files

Hey Opps sorry about the double post old finger is to nervous. Duane

Attached Files

Close