.356 Cylinder Throats ,.3575 Groove Dia.

• Last Post 21 February 2024
linoww posted this 13 February 2024

I've been shooting soft .358  bullets out of this particular gun(SW 14-3)  for a long while without ever checking dimensions.Accuracy fine but occasionally I'll get a bit of lead in front of the forcing cone.Forcing cone appears nicely tapered 

I can't complain about the accuracy as stated , but do you think it would be any benefit to opening the throats up? 

My Blackhawk was .448-.449  throats and I opened those to about  .453 and it was night and day Accuracy improvement.

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 13 February 2024

My opinion, for what that is worth, is probably not as long as you stay with soft alloys and load full charges. 

My only experience has been with a couple of Rugers with 0.448" throats and 0.452" bores in 45 Colt. Without regard to what I sized the bullets, soft alloy didn't lead, but every step up leaded more and more until I got to linotype that leaded the length of the barrel. Bought the Brownell's cutter and opened them up to 0.452+" and no more leading. 

Also used it for Colt .455 Webleys and English .455 Webleys that have small throats. S&W's were no problem as they were always 0.455" to 0.457". There is a reason the English used a hollow base bullet to fit thru any throat that it would chamber. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
linoww posted this 13 February 2024

thanks for the input Ric. In fact, Joe was looking for that reamer for me to borrow to do my 45 Colt but I just Ended up buying one.

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
gnoahhh posted this 13 February 2024

On the other hand, small throats would bug me and I would have to have them honed/reamed to at least match groove diameter. Not rocket science for a dedicated pistolsmith, and not expensive. That would restore the gun to desired versatility in the event that other bullets would be used than those described above.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 13 February 2024

It sat on his workbench for two years till I got it back. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • linoww
  • Bud Hyett
Pigslayer posted this 21 February 2024

I bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Special about 5 years ago. The accuracy was not good at all no matter what bullet I used. Too much choke at the forcing cone and the cylinder throats were about .002" under groove diameter. With the help of a written tutorial from Ed Harris I was able to remedy the forcing cone issue. I sent the cylinder to Doug Phillips. Doug did a beautiful job. You can find Doug over at boolits on Facebook under "cylinderhone".

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Close