35 Rem brass

• Last Post 17 January 2024
Sevenfan posted this 14 October 2023

Prefer new, once fired if primarily same lot would be fine too.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Aaron posted this 15 October 2023

I had no idea it was currently this scarce. Holy smoke. Will it go the way of the 32-20?

You may have to purchase the ammo to get the brass right now.

With rifle in hand, I confidently go forth into the darkness.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Sevenfan
Wm Cook posted this 15 October 2023

Had an old 336 Marlin 35 Rem once upon a time.  It was a fun sweet little rifle.  Held onto the brass, dies and molds for a long time before I accepted the obvious fact that it was part of my past.

Selling that and a hex action Mosin’s still bothers me. Finland capture from Germany? Stamped noting something special? I forget the nomenclature anymore.  Or was it a round action that made it special?

About 20 years ago my dang fool neighbor bought a new Marlin “30-30” for deer hunting and couldn’t get it to chamber right because it was chambered in 35 Rem.  Sigh.  

You’ll find the brass so good luck and have fun.  Bill.

A “Measured Response” is as effective as tongue lashing a stuck door.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Sevenfan
Sevenfan posted this 16 October 2023

Thanks guys. Reason I'm searching is because I recently acquired an old 336A in 35 Rem with a black walnut, cheek piece Bishop stock, a limited production option in the late 50s early 60s. Seller was 9yrs old when his dad bought the rifle in '59. Seller, a long time cast shooter, also provided load data in addition to ~50 cases and some boolits. Gives me some to play with, just have no idea how old or how many times they've been loaded.

Attached Files

Aaron posted this 19 October 2023

About 20 years ago my dang fool neighbor bought a new Marlin “30-30” for deer hunting and couldn’t get it to chamber right because it was chambered in 35 Rem.  Sigh.  

Many many years ago whilst a rangemaster at a popular gun store and range in Warrenton Virginia, some foreign customers bought a new "30-30" in the shop and came onto the range to shoot it. It still had all the factory tags hanging on the rifle when they fired it for the first time. A distinct noise occurred with each shot and by the time I bolted down there to stop their shooting, they had "John Wayne'd" off 3 or 4 shots.

I grabbed the rifle from the shocked Middle Eastern shooter who spoke no English, to get him to stop shooting the obviously distinct firearm so I could diagnose the problem. After a few moments, and after viewing the spent cases lying on the ground, it became obvious why the gun was making such a distinct noise. The Marlin was a 35 Remington and the box of ammo on the shooting bench was 30-30 Winchester.

I queried the customer's friends who spoke broken English and they were all in agreement that being a lever action, it looked like a 30-30, and therefore must be a 30-30. No amount of rudimentary explanation would convince these television western loving Iranians that the rifle was a Marlin, not a Winchester, and that it was a 35 Remington, not a 30-30. Oh well. They had no idea what their rifle was and went merrily OFF the shooting range back to wherever they lived with their brand new 30-30!

Shown below is one of the actual cases I recovered off the ground which remained in Pride-of-Place for all of my Hunter Education courses for over 30 years.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Sevenfan posted this 09 January 2024

Took some time but did find 100 once fired cases.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • MarkinEllensburg
Bob Hatfield posted this 09 January 2024

Lord PRVI or Starline could make money right for sure if they would make 35 Remington brass. I am without a 35 Rem right now but I'd buy about 500 rounds of 35 Rem brass if PRVI or Starline would make it. Sometimes I wonder if Remington paid them not to make it so we would buy a 360 Buckhammer.

Bob

Attached Files

MP1886 posted this 09 January 2024

Had an old 336 Marlin 35 Rem once upon a time.  It was a fun sweet little rifle.  Held onto the brass, dies and molds for a long time before I accepted the obvious fact that it was part of my past.

Selling that and a hex action Mosin’s still bothers me. Finland capture from Germany? Stamped noting something special? I forget the nomenclature anymore.  Or was it a round action that made it special?

You’ll find the brass so good luck and have fun.  Bill.

Most of the Russian rifles Finland captured from Russia in the Winter War they had with them. Many other Russian rifles were sold to Finland that Germany had captured. Finland restored many of the rifles and marked them with "SA" if done so. Some were modied and improved namely the Models 27, 28, and 39. SAKO, TIKKA, and VALMET made barrels for those. The Finland also refurbished the SVT40 semi auto rifles, not so sure if they did the SVT38's. Most likely though. 

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 10 January 2024

I'm glad you found some cases. I have some and was dreading to have to dig for them. I don't really want to get rid of any of them, but would have done so, if you hadn't found your brass.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

MP1886 posted this 11 January 2024

There are articles about forming other brass into 35 Remington on the internet. One comes from some Marlin leveraction forum.  Some guy nameed Steve is swaging down 308 cases. Interesting as many years ago I made a swage die to swage 308 brass down into 6.5 Jap.  Just as that Steve guy mentioned you end up with and extremely robust case. The case capacity is only reduced  like 1.5 to 2 grains which isn't much. I'm now thinking a better case to swage down is the 22-250 as it's a tad smaller in diameter.   Other's turn the rims off the 30-40 Krag and 303 British and use it. If you don't have a lathe this is more then a bit of work. I don't know what Starline doesn't get their heads out of their asses and start making 35 Remington brass. They would make a killing. What has the 35 Remington become, the anti-christ case?

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • delmarskid
delmarskid posted this 11 January 2024

Forming 35 Remington from 308 would probably work well as long as case necks didn’t get too thick.

Attached Files

MP1886 posted this 12 January 2024

Forming 35 Remington from 308 would probably work well as long as case necks didn’t get too thick.
I still feel the 22-250 and the 300 savage would be better. Easier to form, thinner necks. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Bud Hyett
Aaron posted this 14 January 2024

35 Rem and 45-120 are dried up. Starline produces neither. 32-20 is spotty at Starline and when made, total supply is sold within days. 45-90 has been on back order for 8 months now.

I wish Starline would post a survey so we can indicate what brass we would like to see produced or stocked better. If 10 thousand shooters are looking for 35 Rem, one would think they would produce it. I'm sure they know what they are doing but, Jeez.

Attached Files

MP1886 posted this 14 January 2024

35 Rem and 45-120 are dried up. Starline produces neither. 32-20 is spotty at Starline and when made, total supply is sold within days. 45-90 has been on back order for 8 months now.

I wish Starline would post a survey so we can indicate what brass we would like to see produced or stocked better. If 10 thousand shooters are looking for 35 Rem, one would think they would produce it. I'm sure they know what they are doing but, Jeez.

I have connection to inside the industry, no they don't know what they are doing. The name of the game today is make it cheap and make it fast. Notice all the el cheapo rifles, plastics stocks, and all the polymer frame pistols.  Back to your 35 Rem brass. The eastern half of the country is a huge user of 30-30 and 35 Rem ammo and brass. I'm one that things Starline should tool out and turn out an crap load of brass. They can also resupply the vendors that buy from them like Midwayusa and Grafs and sons. I believe they would make a killing. Then maybe the other companies might see what and follow suit. 

Aaron you can alway email Starline and tell them what you think. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Bud Hyett
RicinYakima posted this 14 January 2024

I believe the marketing strategy is not make anything for 10 years and reloaders are desperate. Make a weeks run and sell everything in a month to reloaders and suppliers. They have nothing in storage and cash immediately. Wait ten years and do something else, like 250 Savage. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
MP1886 posted this 15 January 2024

I believe the marketing strategy is not make anything for 10 years and reloaders are desperate. Make a weeks run and sell everything in a month to reloaders and suppliers. They have nothing in storage and cash immediately. Wait ten years and do something else, like 250 Savage. 

From my inside the industry friend:  The brass manufacturers (goes for loaded ammo too) they constantly make the popular brass and the seasonal and rare calibers they will run, when they get around to it, a good bit of it sort of like an overrun, then ship part of it and warehouse the rest left over. They're not doing what you said

Attached Files

Aaron posted this 15 January 2024

I have emailed Starline with the suggestion to place a survey on their site allowing us to "pick" the brass we would like them to produce. Something like a list whereby we can select the ones we would like to purchase. They would have an actual count of visitations and selections off the list. Makes sense yes? Silly me.

Select the brass you would like to see produced. Pick up to 5.

25-20

32-20

225 Apex

375-JDJ

411-JDJ

......and so forth. If 35 Remington was selected on each visit, and 85 thousand votes were present, they would know that at least 85 thousand units would be sold to individuals within weeks of production. The balance could be sold to Grafs, Midway, etc. for annual sales.

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 15 January 2024

This could be a good marketing tool for them. They asked me at the NRA Annual Meeting several years ago what cartridges I wanted.

Perhaps the person inputting the quantity could also suggest how many they would buy for a market. (I'd also limit the person inputting to one instance to prevent one person creating a fake demand.) 

While at the CBA Nationals several years ago, we stopped at Starline to ask questions about annealing their brass. They were very detailed in their answer and helpful. They asked what we were doing with the brass and I mentioned the sizing down from .32-20 to .25-20 and losing case neck without annealing. They said that was a very difficult cartridge for them to produce, the step down was costly in losing brass in setup for a small market. I felt they would like to produce .25-20, but they could not recover production costs without a definite large sales quantity. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

MP1886 posted this 16 January 2024

Talked to my in the industy friend the other night. Asked him about Starline making certain calibers, some of which they haven't yet, and also making 35 Rem since it is in high demand. He said first off to make 85,000 to 100,000 cases would take about 900 man hours. Whoa, that's mine blowing in just paying the wages of the employees. I'm not even going to bore you with the costs of the special dies.  It's high. Dies, if good ones, will go about 300,000 cases before then need replaced. Starline has two different tonage presses for forming cases and that makes sense as it take more tons to form, for example, a 30-06 case as opposed to a 38 Special. Some of Starlines presses are WW2 refurnished and modified. He said it may be a possiblity of one case manufacturer to make the cases for other case making manufacturers. It would take a lot of Starlines time to make 100,000 35 Remington cases.  He also said ALL the cases for different cartridges are put into categories much like RCBS, for example, reload dies. You'll notice RCBS dies have A, B, C, etc caterories.  The dies they sell the most of and are more popular will be in A category.  Take an old caliber that doesn't much might be in the D category.  Well case manufacturers do the same thing. They aren't really trying to screw us over. So you can pull of RCBS dies categories and see which cases aren't going to get a lot of attention from the case manufacturers. 

Attached Files

Aaron posted this 17 January 2024

I hear what you are saying BUT is there really more demand for 6.5 WTF or 6.8 Wolverine Premium Magnum Special over 35 Remington? It must have cost Starline a fortune then to tool up for the flavor of the week brass.

Attached Files

MP1886 posted this 17 January 2024

I hear what you are saying BUT is there really more demand for 6.5 WTF or 6.8 Wolverine Premium Magnum Special over 35 Remington? It must have cost Starline a fortune then to tool up for the flavor of the week brass.

Aaron who knows what their logic is? Maybe making 85,000 to 100,000 cases takes up too much time for them to make a little of something else. 

Here's an article on the SCAMP machines that our military armories use like Lake City.  There are only two of these that U.S. government gave away: one to Israel, and another to S. Korea.  Far as I know the major ammo makers don't have these.  Starline wouldn't even be able to get a load to buy one of these.  They make upward around over 1200 rounds a minute. 

Attached Files

MP1886 posted this 17 January 2024

I'm having a hard time getting that link to show.  Let's me work on it. 

Attached Files

tomme boy posted this 17 January 2024

Call these guys. They have lots of stuff not on the website. They will run back and check to see if they have any you are asking about

https://republicammunition.com/

Attached Files

Close