1858 Remington New Model Army Revolver

• 10K Views
  • Last Post 09 February 2009
Gene posted this 26 November 2008

Just got a Kirst 45 LC conversion cylinder for my Uberti 1858 Remington New Model Army revolver.

I need some load data for safe loads in this gun for .452 and .454 lead bullets. 

Does anyone have any experience with these guns.  I can shoot a 5 in group offhand with 25 gn 3F at 25 yds, so I know the gun will shoot.  The new cylinder locks up good and tight.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving

Gene Perryman

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 26 November 2008

Gene wrote: Just got a Kirst 45 LC conversion cylinder for my Uberti 1858 Remington New Model Army revolver.  I need some load data for safe loads in this gun for .452 and .454 lead bullets.   Does anyone have any experience with these guns.  I can shoot a 5 in group offhand with 25 gn 3F at 25 yds, so I know the gun will shoot.  The new cylinder locks up good and tight...

Gene,

I have three Kirst conversions, but mine are in .45 ACP.  In the .45 Colt conversions you can shoot factory equivalent “cowboy” loads within SAAMI pressures.  If your revolver has the  fixed military sights, these are regulated for round balls, so you will want to shoot the lighter bullets to maintain point of impact. 

In my Remington conversion  250-gr. bullets shoot “on” at about 100 yards and are too high at short range to be useful.  The RCBS .45-230CM shoots closer to point of aim, but is still high until you get past 50 yards. Alliant's web site shows 6 grains of Bullseye as max. for the 230-gr. cowboy bullets in the .45 Colt.   I use 4.5 grains in .45 ACP brass with the same bullet.  You could use 5 grains as a start load in .45 Colt brass, or as the full load for Scofield brass if you have that.

I've had good luck in my Remington conversions loading .457 roundballs. I tumble these in Lee Liquid Alox.  My load in .45 ACP brass is 4.5 grs. of Bullseye, adjusting the seater to taper crimp the case mouth into the side of the ball just below the tangent. The seater die forms the exposed radius of the ball into a narrow driving band.  These button bullets feed fine from my .45 ACP converted Marlin lever gun, give about 750 f.p.s. in the revolver and 850 fps in the rifle.

In .45 Colt brass you can load .457 roundballs with 5 grs. of Bullseye, just pushing them flush to the case mouth, smearing a little bullet lube or Crisco over the ball, and sizing the loaded round in the Lee Factory Crimp die to remove the bulge caused by  the .457 roundball being seated in the .45 Colt case. 

Also good would be any of the 185-200 grain wadcutters for the .45 ACP if you can find a mould which casts large enough to fit your revolver cylinder throats.  I've had good luck with the Lee 200-gr. R.E.A.L. with 5 grs. of Bullseye.  That would make a nice mild load in .45 Colt brass.

If you don't have Bullseye, 5 grains of 700-X, Red Dot or TiteGroup will give similar safe results.  About 6 grs. of 231 should also be good and is in the right range.

While 8 grs. of Unique is fairly standard in the .45 Colt with 250-gr. bullets, I've found that  Unique doesn't burn as well with the lighter bullets.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Gene posted this 28 November 2008

Ed,

First, I hope you and your family had a Happy Thanksgiving......

I just now was able to open up my thread in the new Forum setup, so I wasn't able to get your load data before I went to the range today....

I guessed that a load of  5.2 BE  would be a good starting point in the 45LC  brass with my Hornady 200 LSWC, 230 LRN, and 255 LSWC.  All three loads shot pretty close to the same point of impact at approx 15 yds.  Per Hornady's advice, I loaded all with a 1.575 OAL which put them within thousands of an in. of the front of the cylinder.  Might trim the brass back a few thousandths, what do you think???? 

The 230's seemed to be the most accurate, but the 200's were the most fun to shoot!!  I only loaded up about 20 rounds each as I didn't know how my Uberti's barrel would take the smokeless loads and the two .452 bullets.  To my great pleasure and surprise, other than some unburned powder the barrel was clean as a whistle!!!!  Now my brass was another story..........It looked as if I had been shooting  3F   in the gun, the brass was filthy.  The chambers are a couple of thousandths too big, the case mouth is not sealing up.

I was thinking about trying some schofield brass, but the 45 ACP would be better yet, as I have several thousand of those for my auto.  Also, how would the 45 AR do in the cylinder I have now??

You must've had the 45 ACP cylinders custom made, right??

Thanks for your help ,

Gene Perryman

Attached Files

Gene posted this 03 December 2008

Ed,

I've got a Krist 45 ACP cylinder coming. Will the 45 AR shoot in it.

Thanks Gene Perryman

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 10 December 2008

The .45 Auto Rim will not work in either the .45 Colt or .45 ACP Kirst conversion cylinders. Walt offers .45 ACP cylinders as a standard chambering for the Uberti, Armi San Marco and Pietta Remingtons. I also have one for the Ruger Old Army, but he doesn't list those anymore.

Here are links with info: http://www.riverjunction.com/kirst/konverter3.html http://www.riverjunction.com/kirst/history.html http://www.riverjunction.com/kirst/konverterFAQ.html

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 11 December 2008

If you are loading for the .45 Colt cylinder you might want to try the .45 Cowboy Special cases. They are the same capacity as .45 ACP cases but have the .45 Colt rim. I had a Taurus Tracker in .45 acp. It didn't have enough room for the Auto Rim rim but was exactly PERFECT for the .45 Colt rim. I have since sold the Taurus but will keep my cases for my Ruger Bisley Vaquero in .45 Colt caliber.

This will allow me to shoot a much smaller charge of black powder without fooling with wads to reduce case capacity in the .45 Colt. This will give me less recoil for target or Cowboy loads. Here is the web site for .45 Cowboy Special cases:

http://www.cowboy45special.com/cowboy45brass.html>http://www.cowboy45special.com/cowboy45brass.html

Dale53

Attached Files

Gene posted this 27 December 2008

Ed and Dale,

My 45 ACP Kirst cylinder finally came yesterday and I was off to the range this morning.......

Last night when I got the new 45 ACP cylinder, I dropped 5 loaded rounds in and they seemed to disappear!!!  So I loaded 5 primed only cases and only 4 fired------there was barely a dent in the 5th case's primer.  Never had a FTF with the 45LC cylinder or any of my 45 autos!!!!!  So I wondered if case length was going to be critical.

I took 150 rds of previously loaded ACP and with the first 10 rds, I had 3 FTF.  Some of the ones that had fired were shorter than the unfired ones, so it couldn't be case length????  So I reasoned maybe the firing pen is sticking, so I  WD40ed  it good and I tightened up the tension screw on the main spring............The 3 FTF's fired.......About 100 rds later , I had another FTF....It would not fire in the  Rem (I dropped the hammer on it 3 different times), but it went bang in the 4506????

I shot the following loads, 50 rds Speer 200 LSWC/5.0 TiteGroup, 50 rds Horn 200 LSWC/5.0 Titegroup, and 50 rds Speer 200LSWC/5.3  231.......The Speer/Titegroup seemed to be the most accurate.

Now I hope someone can help me with the reason for the FTF's.  The firing pen doesn't seem to be sticking as I first thought.

Thanks,

Gene Perryman

PS...........It sure is fun shooting that  Ole  Remington...........

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 29 December 2008

Have had no misfire problems with any of mine, but I am shooting smokeless only.

Attached Files

Gene posted this 04 January 2009

Walt sent me another cylinder as he believed the chambers in the first one were bored too deep.  There is a difference in the two cylinders.  I tried it out yesterday with about 50 rds------NO FTF's-----------Walt was very helpful and he stands behind his cylinders..............

The Cowboy 45 Special cases will fit the 5-shot 45 ACP cylinder, but not the 6-shot cylinder.  Since I now have the new cylinder, I'll probably stick with the 45 ACP brass as the local constabulary and the new Glock owners keep me supplied with  once-fired ACP brass!!!!

Ed, what's your favorite load and bullet for your Rem's??

Still no signs of leading in the U/Rem barrel.  It's an accurate gun when the trifocals and fine sights get together.   Has anyone replaced the front sight with a thicker post?

Gene Perryman

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 05 January 2009

Gene wrote: Ed, what's your favorite load and bullet for your Rem's??

My recommendation for a reliable utilitarian, general-purpose .45 ACP cast lead load which works in any firearm chambered for the .45 ACP, is 4.5 grains Bullseye with either the RCBS 45-230CM, or the Saeco #954.

This approximates the ballistics of the 1875-era .45 S&W Schofield service loads.  Velocity is about 700 f.p.s. from my 5-1/2” Pietta, 730 f.p.s. from a 4â€? S&W Model 625 revolver, 750 f.p.s. from my M1911A1 hardball gun and  950 f.p.s. from my set back and re-chambered 1894 Marlin. 

Attached Files

Gene posted this 09 February 2009

Ed,

I'm seriously considering the RCBS bullet you suggested.

Yesterday, I went to the range with my son and his friend and shot a couple  1 in. groups at 10 yds off hand (5 shot groups).  The boys did not do that good with their Glocks!!!!  I was shooting my favorite 45 ACP load for my 4506, 5.3/231 with either a Horn or Speer  200LSWC.  I told the boys they needed to get a real gun!!!!

Again, both of my Kirst cylinders (45 LC and 45 ACP) llineup and  lock up tight.  NO FTF's with the new 45 ACP cylinder and never had any with the 45 LC.  No leading in the Uberti.

I wish I could find a thicker front sight.  I took two other pistols with me yesterday and  shot mostly with the ole Rem 1858--it's just so much fun to shoot........:)

Gene Perryman

Attached Files

Close