270 - who'd-a-thunk?

• Last Post 06 October 2023
  • Topic Is Solved
Glenn R. Latham posted this 23 September 2023

About 25 years ago I bought a used Savage 110 in 270 for my daughter to hunt with.  She harvested a whitetail and an antelope before she lost interest, and the rifle has been collecting dust in the safe for quite a while.  Quite a while back at a swap meet someone was selling a 270 and 7mm Lee mould, and since they were so cheap I picked them up "just in case."  I finally decided to try CBs in the 270, so got the mould out and cast a few.  The nose was way small (bore diameter is .272"+) so I scraped and lapped it out until it made some contact with the lands.  Cast from WWs and ready to load the bullets weigh 125 grs.

I wanted to use powders from 2400 to RL-7 in loads about 1500 fps or so, but all the loads I could find with these powders were considerably faster.  Loads in this speed range were with powders faster than I wanted to use.  I guestimated some loads with 2400, IMR4227 and RL-7 and loaded 5 of each to get a start.  Four shots were used to get the old Weaver K4 close to POA at 100 yards, then I started with the 2400 loads; 12 and 13 grains.  The 12 grain load was doing 1478 fps and shot a nice group.  The 13 grain load was doing 1508 fps and the group blew me away!

Subsequent groups weren't as stellar, but the 7 group average was 1.45".  I'm going to have to put some bigger glass on this little rifle and work with it some more!

BTW, ever look for moulds for the 270?  Ain't many around!

Glenn

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
MP1886 posted this 23 September 2023

You done very well!!!

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 24 September 2023

... 270 ... EH ? ...   ... my first introduction to a new amazing world   .. a neighbor had one and shot tin cans at 200 yards ... i wuz unrecoverably ruined for life ...

a couple years ago a couple buddies got 270 s .. a Remmy 721 and a Browning X-Bolt .. both are great shooters, so I had to defend myself ... I then accumulated all the goodies .. a new 6.8 SPC Tactical Remmy  takeoff barrel, a 270 chamber reamer, and jeepers ... THREE molds ...dies, and even some ... eek ... mj bullets ...  

I may have over-obsessed ... again ... especially since i then  stumbled on an orphaned  dented Tikka 55 in 308 with a broken stock, loose bedding and missing magazine ... great metal tho ... so now i am obsessing over my latest adoption ..  my second Tikka project, i wanna be like JohnA ... heh ... got it 99 per cent done ...

anybody need any 270 stuff ??...

oh, in my treasure quest i found a Forster benchrest seater for 270 ...  condition about a 6 fer sale $35 shipped if anybody is interested pm me.  i love these for mj but too good for plinking cast. 

ken, " i only need one more gun " ...

Attached Files

Idahocaster posted this 24 September 2023

My first rifle purchase was a Savage 111 in 270. I was gifted an Ideal 280468 115gr mold and have shot some cast bullets out of the Savage. They were just light plinking loads. Plenty accurate though! 10 shots in about a little less than 1" at 50 yards. Probably close to the OP's groups overall.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • Glenn R. Latham
SkinnerD posted this 01 October 2023

Encouraging. I just picked up a 1970s Midland in 270Win from estate of original owner for not very much, just under $USD150. Basically a budget rifle from Parker Hale after their acquisition of Midland. Stocked in Beech with a 30-06 Springfield War Surplus bolt fitted to a Mauser style action, done in Birmingham, England. Pristine bore and metalwork. Very good wood with usual storage dings but no carry wear so not used much. Research has the usual spread of owners who couldn't move theirs on fast enough and those who bitterly regret parting company with one. I had this one shortened to 21", threaded 14x1mm and Weaver bottoms fitted to factory drilled and tapped holes. Can't wait to shoot it. If it turns out good, cast loads are high on the agenda. Anyone keen to ship a mould to NZ lol? Worst case is I'll get to practice rifle bedding on it.

John - New Zealand

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 01 October 2023

..if you find 277 molds hard to find, perhaps you could find and size down some 7mm ... 284 ... molds ...   the Lee 7mm ..135 gr. ... might be interesting .. it ( mine )  casts a little small anyway, and actually might be a better mold for 270 use.

just an idea ...

...and remember cast rule 1 ( the only rule ) ... the casting must fit snugly in the throat ... and the nose must be snug in the bore .. light engraving is ideal ... hey, there might be a miracle in that old rig ... !! ...

ken, up here in the upright half ...

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Glenn R. Latham
  • SkinnerD
Glenn R. Latham posted this 01 October 2023

Thanks Ken, I have considered sizing a 7mm bullet to fit.  The nose would certainly be large enough!  I have a Lee push-thru die coming that will make that easy.  I have the Lee 7mm mould, but I'd like something heavier, like the discontinued RCBS 270-150-SP.  I'm also going to make an Eagan-type T-die.  Too bad Accurate doesn't make bullets as small as .270!

Glenn

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 02 October 2023

See if you can find a Lyman 280468.  GREAT bullet.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • SkinnerD
Glenn R. Latham posted this 02 October 2023

Thanks Jeff, that does look like a good one, but I'm looking for a heavy bullet for 200 yds.

Glenn

Attached Files

SkinnerD posted this 05 October 2023

Do you know anything about the Lyman 280473JS bullet?

Anyone else?

John - New Zealand

Attached Files

Hornet posted this 05 October 2023

The Lyman 280473 is a .270 version of the 311413 Squibb bullet. It does fairly well at moderate velocities but gets erratic when I speed it up above about 1700 fps. It's about 127 grains out of wheel weights from my mold but casts about 0.282. The Lee C277-135-RF is much closer to .278-.279, has a little bore ride section that might need lapped a tad, and seems to be more reliable at mid-range speeds. My "GO-TO" is the RCBS 270-150-SP over 17.0 gr SR4759. It's boringly accurate but slow. I get a major point-of-impact shift (6 MOA) if I speed it up too much which may just be due to it being a #1-B Ruger.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Glenn R. Latham
  • SkinnerD
Glenn R. Latham posted this 06 October 2023

Thanks Hornet, good info!

Glenn

Attached Files

Close