.257 Roberts Ackley Improved.

• Last Post 05 September 2023
JeffinNZ posted this 28 August 2023

Finally getting some load development done for the .257 RAI.

The bullets are from an old NOE mould, cast in clip on WW.  PB is 90gr and 120gr GC.

Groups shot at 50m/55y.

90 PB shot over 10.4gr SR7625

120gr GC shot over 26gr IMR4895.

Both showing great potential.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Glenn R. Latham posted this 29 August 2023

Lookin' good Jeff!  The "flyer" you have circled was tipping a bit.

Glenn

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 30 August 2023

Lookin' good Jeff!  The "flyer" you have circled was tipping a bit.

Glenn

Yes, that tipping is a bit of a head scratcher. The bullet is shorter than the 120gr Speer BT jacketed bullets the rifle likes. Maybe it canted en route to the rifling. The bullets are .260 in a .260 throat however so......

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Jeff were those groups shot with the coated bullets shown? If so how did they compare to the gas checked bare bullet with lube?

Yes, both PC. Will try lubed also but PC sure is clean and tidy.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

My experience thus far with all calibers is no difference between them.  Time will tell with the 257.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Glenn R. Latham posted this 30 August 2023

Jeff,

I've had tipping bullets from bullets that were too soft for the load.  Imbalance (internal voids) will do that too of course.  Yours was a "one off" so the load looks good.

Glenn

Attached Files

That's good sense.  ACWW will be near it's limit I suppose.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Glenn R. Latham posted this 30 August 2023

For what it's worth, Ive been able to get higher velocities with soft bullets in smaller bores.  A couple weeks ago shot an LBT 60 grain pointed bullet in my heavy barrel 223 (14 twist), trying ACWW and HTWW.  These bullets were cast and heat treated at least 30 years ago, (the last time I shot them was 1993) so the HT bullets were probably not more than 18-20 Bhn.

The load was 13.5  grains of IMR4227, Fed 205 primer, and the bullets were tapered in a die cut with a taper pin reamer so they would not seat below the neck.  Target distance 100 yards.

Glenn

Edit: wrong load.  Blued Dot was for 56 gr. flat nose.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • JeffinNZ

Yes, absolutely.  I shoot ACWW in my l.223 Rem 1-12 twist at 2300fps over H4227 however this is about topped out on FPS and pressure.  Also shoot gas checked 40-1 at 1700fps in my bolt .30-30 with amazing clover leaf accuracy.  The difference is the quarter bore has greater SD and 1-10 twist.  

Had an epiphany last evening as I loaded some more of the GC bullet.  I expand the brass to .259 however one of .260 bullets took a lot more ram pressure to seat.  I wonder if I am bending those tight examples.  I have bent 6.5mm bullets in the lubrisizer before today.  I put that round aside to see where is shows up on the target.  Also loaded the GC HP bullet with lubricant and will shoot for comparison. 

The mould is not mine so I have to borrow it again and cast a big run.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
mashburn posted this 31 August 2023

Hello jeffinNZ,

You're making me want to drag my .257 Roberts Imp. out and shoot some cast bullets. I have a .257 Imp, based on a smokeless Remington rolling block action. One of the few custom rifles, built by someone other than me, that I can't find any flaws in. It's built what I call 50-60's style with a roll-over cheek piece, a pistol grip and a full forearm. Everything looks perfect and has a great trigger for a rolling block. I have only had it to the range once in the total years that I have owned it. It shoots jacketed bullets great.

After reading your post about shooting cast bullets in your .257 Imp., I ordered a bullet mold for mine, you made my enthusiasm rise, and now I've got to shoot some cast in mine. Reckon I could get you to pay for the mold and gas checks, since it's your fault.(Ha Ha) 

Mashburn

mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • JeffinNZ
  • delmarskid
JeffinNZ posted this 31 August 2023

Reckon I could get you to pay for the mold and gas checks, since it's your fault.(Ha Ha) 

Mashburn

I'm an enabler.  What mold did you order?

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • mashburn
mashburn posted this 31 August 2023

Hello jeffinNZ,

I bought a Herters, single cavity GC 130 Gr. mold from an individual. It sems to be an unused specimen. I hope it casts as good as it looks. Somewhere, hidden deep in my shop, is an old Lee 180 Gr. GC mold (or at least I remember it to be a 180Gr.)  which I think I know where i is.

Have fun in New Zealand,

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 04 September 2023

Hello jeffiinNZ,

I made a mistake when I said that I had purchased a mold for my .257 Ack. Imp. I purchased a mold for my 7X57. I'm getting ready to shoot cast in both of them and my simple mind got mixed up, so I still have to come up with a 25 mold. 

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 05 September 2023

Al has nice looking offerings:

.257 | NOE Bullet Moulds (noebulletmolds.com)

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 05 September 2023

Hello jeffinNZ,

How about that, I had just been on the NOE website, before I read your response.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 05 September 2023

Dave ... you might have noticed a 25 mold in my mold list a week ago ... or not.  ( heh ) ...

funny how I have a 25 mold but no 25 gun for over 20 years ... maybe I need a list of orphan dies ...

ken

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 05 September 2023

Hello Ken,

Evidently, your ad is no longer up and running. Is your mold a GC mold, and what is the weight. I would consider a PB mold.

I just looked at your info on yourself a few minutes ago and noticed that your home range is Afton, Iowa. Now I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure out what my relationship with Afton is, but it definitely rings a bell.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Close