22 pelets in 22 Hornet

• Last Post 4 weeks ago
beagle6 posted this 5 weeks ago

I was reading some articles at The LosAngles Siilhouette Club forum and a fellow named PACO wrote about shooting a 22 caliber pellet rifle pellet  in a 22 Hornet using just a primer (no powder). Have any of you ever done this?

Might make for some indoor practice in the winter.

beagle6

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Larry Gibson posted this 5 weeks ago

I've done and still do occasionally.  I've found the heavier pellets like CPs and crow Magnums do well.  I've even put a tudge of Bullseye in the case to bolster velocity upwards to 1000 fps +/-.  Found it best to run a wet (Hoppe's #9) patch through the bore every 5 - 8 shots to maintain accuracy as the grit from the primers plays havoc on the soft primers.  

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

Wilderness posted this 5 weeks ago

I've done it with a .218 Bee, though the primer alone was not enough in the Bee. Add 1/2 gn Red Dot and it becomes a very handy load for discreet urban pest control.

I seated the ICI Wasp pellets ahead of the case with a piece of bent copper wire, then loaded the powdered case. Pellet skirt was larger than the inside of the case neck, hence the breech seating.

The loudest noise was the sound of the pellet striking the target.

Attached Files

SkinnerD posted this 5 weeks ago

Accurate?

John - New Zealand

Attached Files

Wilderness posted this 5 weeks ago

This is at about 15 yds indoors. Target is the WWII U.S. .30-06 ammo box I used for a target/backstop 40 yrs ago. A couple of the pellets split  timber off the back of the 5/8" timber panel.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • SkinnerD
RicinYakima posted this 5 weeks ago

I damp patch with Ed's Red between shoots with a magnum SR primer. Good for grey diggers and sage rats in the back yard in suburbia. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Wilderness
  • Bud Hyett
linoww posted this 4 weeks ago

I used to do it in my .222 Remington. I seated them backwards to get them to fit tighter as the skirt is wider than the head.Accuracy was decent at 10 yards but not close to as accurate as my German airguns. the added primer cost made it expensive but it was fun.I wiped out quite a few mice in my shop.

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Duane Mellenbruch posted this 4 weeks ago

I find that #3 buck passed through the .245" sizer or #4 buck passed through a .225" sizer leaves the ball with a ring around the diameter.  Lightly coated with Lee Liquid Alox it is ready to use.  A small powder charge in the 6MM TCU covered with the CFVentures SGC and thumb seat the ball in an unsized case and go have fun.  Pretty much the same with the 223 and the correct ball.

15 yards very tight group, 20 yards good but not great, 25 yards, not so much.  But it is fun.  Not so fun these days with the price of primers though. 

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 4 weeks ago

A couple velocities out of a Ruger #3 22 Hornet.

RWS Match pellet with Rem 7 !/2 primer; 367 fps

s

Beeman Crow Magnum w/7 1/2 primer + .8 gr Bullseye; 942 fps

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
beagle6 posted this 4 weeks ago

Thanks everyone for your help. As I;ve said before,I aam amazed at the depth of knowledge and willingnesss to share on this forum.

beagle6

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 4 weeks ago

I once did some urban sniping with pellets and a 222, primers only.  They reliably shot minute of starling at 30 feet and apparently were going fast enough.  Also used a suppressor made of the tube from a paper towel roll with cardboard baffles. 

John

Attached Files

MP1886 posted this 4 weeks ago

A couple velocities out of a Ruger #3 22 Hornet.

RWS Match pellet with Rem 7 !/2 primer; 367 fps

s

Beeman Crow Magnum w/7 1/2 primer + .8 gr Bullseye; 942 fps

LMG

Larry that is quite interesting.  I would have thought for sure that the primer alone would have propelled the pellet much faster.  You proved it didn't. I remember a guy with a special made Knight target muzzling loading rifle in some small caliber accidentaly discovered the powder of 209 shotshell primers.  I forgot the powder in one loading and the ball still hit the target at 100 yards with some authority.  So he started testing the powder of various primers and found the differences and also found the ball was doing nearly 400 fps and produce a pretty impressive target!

I can remember ever doing this pellet thing mainly it's much cheaper to use a pellet rifle!  LOL

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Bud Hyett

I agree that it would be cheaper and easier to just use my pellet rifle but I like my Hornet. I also have a Daisey Red Ryder BB gun and when the wolrld gets to be too much I take it and wander afield to relive my long vanished boyhood.

beagle6

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 4 weeks ago

I was reading some articles at The Los Angeles Silhouette Club forum and a fellow named PACO wrote about shooting a 22 caliber pellet rifle pellet  in a 22 Hornet using just a primer (no powder). Have any of you ever done this?

Yes. My normal .22 Hornet brass is W-W.

I obtained five R-P cases to separate by head stamp, drilled the flash hole to .125, and used Remington 7 1/2  primers. Very effective on starlings, feral cats, the neighbor's dog defecating in my backyard, and other targets of opportunity. Killing power reliable to fifteen yards. 

With the price of primers these days, I've gone back to the pellet gun. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
OU812 posted this 4 weeks ago

I have cast bullets with hot glue and hot glue gun . When shooting plastic bullets, larger calibers work best.

Attached Files

RustyZipper posted this 4 weeks ago

Beagle6 was that Paco Kelly?

Attached Files

Rusty

Idon't know, the article didn't give a last name

Attached Files

That was more then likely Paco Kelly. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
barra posted this 4 weeks ago

I ended up with 1000 water damaged 22lr.

with a clean lubed bore

with a 22 pellet in primed case good enough to put to sleep rats and mice without damage at 5-8 feet.

If you want to hunt dangerous game  a pellet in the noggin of nope ropes  is quite adequate around the place.

pressed into soap or wax empty case is good for geckos without damage at reasonable range.

Figure 22 hornet be probably much the same.

Sometimes things need the 3S treatment 

Shoot shovel and shut-up

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 4 weeks ago

.... shooting paraffine wax wad in my 222  indoors ...  pushing neck into a wax bar ... primer powered ...

penetration was greatly increased by pushing a fired primer into the front of the wax wadcutter ...

angry  caution ...   this is becoming a serious load ...

ken  

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • barra
Eutectic posted this 4 weeks ago

I did this with 22 cal crimped blanks (a lot more power than a regular primer) in a 22 rifle. Benjamin pellets would blow out, the harder and heavier hunting pellets worked fine. No velocity, accuracy was minute of rat.

Less noise and expense than 22 shorts back then. Now I use CCI CB Longs, expensive but easier to load.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 4 weeks ago

Raccoons dominated the wildlife in the suburban/rural area where we lived. One spring 25 of them fell off our bird feeder dead from  strokes cause by CCI longs

Attached Files

John Alexander I can tell you that CCI Caps will kill them and are even more quiet. 

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 4 weeks ago

Been using the CB Shorts from CCI on the ones here. 50 years ago, raccoons would go into the torbor dormancy state for a couple of months.   Now the valley floor along the river sees them active all year long and travel several miles through town looking for food. 

Attached Files

Close