200 yard coyote signup

• Last Post 14 December 2018
Scearcy posted this 16 October 2018

Ok we are on. I will be ordering targets this week so I should be able to mail out targets by next week. As requested we are going to have the due date for the targets as March 1, 2019. I am going to try to shoot mine by Thanksgiving as our weather can really get sour  in December up here on the tundra.

We will use the same process as we have with the groundhogs. Send me a pm with your email address and I will email a signup sheet for you to return. I think we are going to be $5 per target unless I can find a cheaper way to mail them out.

As soon as I have your $5, I will send the target and email a tech sheet. 

We are still trying to figure out a way to collect the results efficiently. Mailing 3'x4' targets is clumsey. We will talk more about that before March 1.

Any rifle with any cast bullet and an sight. Any plausible field position that does not require a table, bench, sand bag or pedistal rest. Bipods, etc are fine at 200 yards.

Jim

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

I compete in the CBA matches with a 300 Blackout and a 243.  John Alexander just set a new 100/200 agg National record with his 223. Some of the Heavy rifle competitors have started shooting 6 PPCs. You don't need a canon to do well at 200 yards. 

If you are going to use a tight sling on the coyote make sure your sight in with it also. This is the sad voice of experience.

Jim

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 16 October 2018

Jim,

Just went to the National Target website to see what this target looks like. Nice!

Good to see a due date of March 1 2019.Our club is open to the public daily now through 18 Nov. and no way I'm going out there now with that crowd of "sighters-in". 

It will be interesting to see how this target looks through the iron sights compared to the CBA Postal 200-yard turkey.

One more opportunity to get out with the Sharps....again....so sign me up!

Tom

Attached Files

Tom

We will see when they get here but my impression is that these targets are going to be hard to see with iron sights at 200 yards.

I like the idea of a 6X scope personally.

Jim

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 16 October 2018

Can the targets simply be rolled up and mailed in a tube?

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 16 October 2018

i have been thinking about how i can see the coyote over my overly teensy swede open sights ...  thinking about a big red 5 gallon bucket to aim at hanging from a post over the 200 yard backstop ....

... or epoxy on a temp scout scope mount  ... one from a marlin 36 might work.

i have these real long 6.5 castings but they won't be going very fast with no gas checks ...

my mom always told me to * aim high * ... here's my chance ...

ken

Attached Files

Ken

I have a scout rail for a Remington 700 if you want to try it. I won't use it anymore.

Jim

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 17 October 2018

I'm in. Is this plain base? Patched round ball ok? They don't work well "plain base".  Just fold the heck out of those targets and put 'em in a plain brown manila envelope.

Attached Files

tlkeizer posted this 17 October 2018

Greetings, Put me in for a couple coyotes. I still have some 25 cal cast from R Dupraz, and they need to be used to know they are loved. 20 shots huh? Gosh, if I need only that many to get a coyote I think my shooting is getting better. From what I read above the 20 need not be shot the same day, correct? If I am not correct, not a problem. Now all I have to do is find the load and zero I used a couple years ago for the ground hog with the 25-06. If the weather holds I hope to get the shooting done before the end of November in between caribou ventures.
Jim, I will get the money in the mail.

TK

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 17 October 2018

Great 

Let the Games begin.

I'll take 4.  That will keep me busy this winter.

A thought on all the mailing.  I shoot the Davenport Winter offhand match(22lr) every year. We send in our scores via Email.  You are on your honor so why not try that? 

I will send you a PM.

Thanks 

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 17 October 2018

Patched round ball is more than OK, it is brave I would say.

Jim

Attached Files

Jon

The likely outcome is to have everyone score their own. The only issue is that Ken really wants to see all of those targets. It is not a matter of trust, it is his favorite thing about these shootssmile

Jim

Attached Files

I am going north today to have Wifi installed at our hunting camp. My God how things have changed. We have the first grandchildren in camp this year and that is a CHANGE. Anyhow I will likely not be back here until tomorrow morning. 

I appreciate all of the responses so quickly. I will order the targets tomorrow and it would be great if we needed 2 packets.

Jim

Attached Files

Redleged posted this 17 October 2018

Jim, I'm also in for four targets! PM inbound. Ed

Growing old is mandatory, growing up, however, is totally optional!

Attached Files

tlkeizer posted this 17 October 2018

Greetings,

That coyote may be harder to hit than I planned.  I took the 25-06 out with some new loads, and had a very ragged 6+ inch group at 25 yards.  Maybe I could use a caller and get credit for calling it in from 200 to say about 10 yards so I would have a chance to hit it?  Then again, maybe not.  At least I have some empty cases and enough bullets and powders I SHOULD find a reasonable combination.  Otherwise, I too may go to round ball and muzzle loader.  There is always the Trapdoor to fall back on, 20 shots and all.  Have fun all.

TK

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 18 October 2018

I thunked that we would be sayin how many targets on the official sign up sheet. 'pears not. so I would like 4. If I need more than that I'll use up my puxatany pete targets.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 18 October 2018

Jim, As I said in the PM put me down for three (3) targets.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 18 October 2018

I will be sending an email to each person who has expressed interest in shooting a coyote. These should go out within the next hour. If you thought you had signed up  and you do not get an email, I will hold my secretary personally responsible. Send me a PM to let me know I missed you.

BTW we already have 26 targets spoken for without counting Ken, Bob or I. Bravo!

Whoever suggested mailing the targets in cardboard tubes, I am looking into that today. The tubes could be reused to submit your targets, hypothetically.

Jim

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 18 October 2018

Jim,

Will it be like other informal Postals where a record and a sighter target will be provided?

Thanks!

Tom

Attached Files

Tom, There won't be a sighter target this time. It is just too expensive with these 3'x4' targets.

BTW everyone will need a pretty good size target frame as the target really is 4" wide.

Jim

Attached Files

I am going to trace  the outline on a piece of cardboard for my sighter. Masking tape works great a target patchers

J

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close