IMR 3031 load data in 38-55

• 10K Views
  • Last Post 12 May 2008
lonewolf5347 posted this 07 March 2008

I had a buddie cast me some 38-55 in .380 diameter and would like to load it with some IMR 3031:

The cast BHN runs around 13 and would like to keep smokeless loads around 1400 fps ;

The bullet cast in 264 grain plain base any ideas on how much powder to start to use I was thinking more like 28 grains to start?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Scott Merchant posted this 07 March 2008

lonewolf

What type of rifle are you using.   Scott

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 07 March 2008

lonewolf5347:

The RCBS Cast Bullet Manual #1 lists these loads with IMR 3031 and the RCBS 250gr #37-250-FN with GC for the 38-55.

26 grns --  1357 fps

28 grns --  1448 fps

According to RCBS this data was from a Win. 94 with a 24” barrel.

I have two 38-55's, one a CPA-Stevens and the other a Marlin Cowboy.  Cast bullets and IMR 4227 are used in both.

RD

Attached Files

lonewolf5347 posted this 07 March 2008

The rifle is a H@R target model

I did slug the bore and came up with .3785

The boolets are 264 grain and I would like to keep the FPS down around 1400 fps

the alloy used is around a BHN 13 bullet diameter is .380

I have a feeling the boolet cast is a lyman #375449 resized to .380 without a GC

Attached Files

Bluehawk posted this 07 March 2008

My H&R 38/55   gave me fits for months . Mine slugs  bigger than yours and so do most of the others I have heard of . mine needs  AT LEAST  380 slug to shoot but will not chamber one in normal WW brass . Chamber dimensions are way too small ( maybe thats one of the reaosns its not in the catalog any more ) Lots of others have had fits with the chamber vs barrel dimensions

I solved mine by going to Star Line brass  ( much thinner  but good brass) 

I am shooting Cast Performance bullets  .380 GC ( went commercial till I could find  asuitible bullet and the correct diameter) 260 grains

Shoots supe3rbly with 23 grains of AA5744   I tried 3031(  cause io have a ton of it) but had no luck    IN THAT GUN  I have an old savage  1899 tha shoots 3031 fine  with jacketed bnullets. H 4895 works well with the cast in my H&R  but not as good as  5744   Killed a nice  PA doe this year  with that combination  in the H&R   took her whole left front shoulder out and she did not go 40 yards  

Attached Files

lonewolf5347 posted this 08 March 2008

Starline brass will let me load up too .381 without any problems

ww brass .379 is max

Attached Files

CB posted this 08 March 2008

Gents

For a difficult to fit chamber/bore you should look into getting Veral over at LBT Moulds to custom cut you a mould.

He has a procedure for slugging the throat that will give you the optimum bullet for your gun. Then you send him the throat and case and he cuts the mould to exactly what you need.

Go over to his website http://www.lbtmoulds.com and order a throat slugging kit, comes complete with instructions and after you slug the throat send him the case and throat slug and he will fix you up.

As far as I know, he is the last remaining mould maker that does custom stuff like this. He is a good guy to deal with, a real straight shooter.

Attached Files

Bluehawk posted this 08 March 2008

Thanks  Jeff  I actualy looked into that  method and  may still  but right now the use of Starline brass is dong the trick and  letting me use either comercial cast bullets or   ones from a convetional mould  Bore diameter is the real problem now

I am in the process of borrowing a few molds to see how they drop with my alloy  it looks like the Lee mold is the winner so far  dropping a .3805  bullet from the mould  I have a custom sizer from lee in 380 and that should be the ticket   . hanvt actualy had time to shoot anyof these  cast yet  but will in a wek or two If that doesnt work  well then its off to NeI  for a custom mould .

Have to see them for one any way since I need a another one for that same cal bullet with a cup base   hopefuly they can do that

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 10 March 2008

lonewolf5347 wrote: I had a buddie cast me some 38-55 in .380 diameter and would like to load it with some IMR 3031: ...The cast BHN runs around 13 and would like to keep smokeless loads around 1400 fps I think that 3031 is probably too slow a powder for lighter plainbased loads in the .38-55.  I think you would be better off with something in the range of 4227 or 4198.  I have used 3031 and RL-7 for heavier GC loads in the 1600-1800 fps range in a Ruger No. 3 or other strong action, but neither of these burn completely in lighter loads suitable for plainbased bullets. 

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 10 March 2008

Ed's advice regarding the IMR powders 3031 and 4227 is on the mark in my experience. I use the Marlin Cowboy for lever gun silhouette and shoot the Lee PB #379-250-RF for short targets and the GC 37-250-FN RCBS for the 200 yd rams. After trying several different powders, I found that IMR 4227 gives excellent accuracy with both bullets.

Both of these bullets are cast relatively soft however the RCBS w/GC is pushed a little harder.

RD

Attached Files

John Boy posted this 10 May 2008

Lonewolf ... give this smithy a shout: R. F. Clark, Gunsmith 640 Emerald St., Upland, Calif. 91786 909-984-1548 Old Scout ([email protected]

Richard is a 38-55 gun crank and a gunsmith with 40+ years experience.  He reamed my Target Model chamber out to be able to shoot 380 bullets and 2.125 Starline brass. A couple of years ago, his price was $25 plus shipping Regards John

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 11 May 2008

Ok Ed,I used vihtavuori n110 in a 94 win  at 1700fps,and use my beloved italian shotgun powders for light loads in my uberti highwall.

Not being able to send my rifle to an US smith would you advice  me to use a   standard Clymer neck only reamer ? Hand held,leaving the rifle assembled.

Shall I have to cut a cast bullet throat separately?,Using fixed ammo,not breach seating.

I would prefer avoiding to take down the barrel and rechamber with a custom chamber  reamer.

You wrote of a similar work with a 30M1carbine reamer in a marlin 30-30,if I am correct. regards,G.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 12 May 2008

giorgio de galleani wrote: ...Not being able to send my rifle to an US smith would you advice  me to use a   standard Clymer neck only reamer ? Hand held,leaving the rifle assembled. Shall I have to cut a cast bullet throat separately?,Using fixed ammo,not breach seating. You should be able to ream the chamber by hand in this manner.  The reamer you want is a “neck and throater” which will enlarge the neck portion of the chamber if necessary to produce safe radial clearance to release the bullet, and the throating reamer to length the ball seat, if necessary.    If you must load a .380” bullet to fit yourt barrel, assembly a “dummy” cartridge and measure the maximum cartridge neck diameter with bullet seated.  The neck portion of the reamer should cut 0.0015” larger than max. cartridge.   If possible send a chamber cast and dummy cartridge with your reamer order so they can see the chamber conditions you have and the size cartridge and length of bullet you are trying to fit.  This is best if you can do that.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 12 May 2008

Thank you very much,Giorgio

Attached Files

Close