.22 Rimfire Handguns

• 10K Views
  • Last Post 18 January 2011
Ed Harris posted this 14 September 2007

Over the years I've fooled with a variety of .22 handguns, both autopistols and revolvers, for target and field shooting. While it is true that the current fashion these days seems to be one or another variation of Ruger semi-auto, I've had my share of frustration which these.  

By and large out of the box the Rugers average about 1-1/2” ten-shot groups at 25 yards with standard velocity ammo of average quality. High speed ammo runs closer to two inches, if you shoot from sandbags, hand-held with iron sights.  Firing off a Ransom rest improves this, but trick results do not reflect a realistic expectation of field utility.  Your own aiming and holding errors contribute as much to the “system error budget” as much as do the inherent accuracy or lack of it, attributable to the weapon and ammunition. 

I tested many Ruger .22 auto pistols off the Ransom Rest when I worked for the company. While their potential accuracy is amazing for a gun in this price range, i.e. two inches at 50 yards from machine rest for a series of ten-shot groups with almost any ammo, and 1.6” or less with “good” ammo (which today costs about $50 a brick) the simple fact is that in field shooting it's a bit hard to carry the Ransom rest along with you and get Mr. Wabbit to wait while you set it up. 

The Ruger trigger as it comes from the factory leaves a lot to be desired.  Inconsistency of trigger pull causes fliers in your groups. Getting a match quality trigger pull with minimal creep, no hiccups and a clean break usually requires a trip to the gunsmith, and replacement of the factory parts with custom, after-market items.  

If you replace any of the springs you may induce functioning problems if you use anything other than high velocity ammo.  HV loads fall down in the accuracy department, so it sort of defeats the whole purpose. I don't have much use for high velocity .22 ammunition because it is generally less accurate and more noisy.  

In my opinion fixed sights are best for the survival gun. You need to spend some time shooting to see which ammo works best, get a supply of that and then zero the gun, drifting the rear sight, and filing the front sight down, if needed, to obtain a good zero.  Shooting outdoors is best, because lighting on indoor ranges which comes mostly from one direction  will affect your zero.  I recommend that fixed sights be zeroed to strike about 1 inch above point of aim at 25 yards. The factory Ruger adjustable sights are pretty poor and don't stay zeroed unless you flood them with LocTite.  

Some users prefer scopes or red-dot sights. By the time you put good quality, reliable optics on one of these you run the system cost up several hundred dollars and the resulting “full race dragon” pistol tips the scales at about 50 ozs.!  An old Remington Nylon 66, Henry, Marlin or Chipmunk youth rifle doesn't weigh very much more and is much easier for the average person to use to shoot camp meat. 

The barrels and chambers on current generation Ruger Mk.III pistols are of better quality than the guns I tested back in the 1980s. New polymer frame pistols are much lighter than steel, while providing a full sized gun to hold onto. But the trigger and sight problems still exist.  

By the time you buy a new Ruger Mk. III, do a professional trigger job and put good optics on it, you've invested more than you would to find and obtain a very good shooter-grade Colt Woodsman or fine pre-war High Standard Model A or B.  The modern “full race Ruger” is much more bulky and less handy than original “Target and Trapper” outdoorsmans' pistols of the 1930s and 40s, which were designed for the very backpack survival situations we talk about around the camp fire and plan for.

If you like single-actions the Ruger Single-Six is a real sleeper. I find mine far more useful than the Bearcat it replaced.  The Bearcat's fixed sights seem to always shoot low and right anf the flyweight revolver with short barrel is difficult to shoot better than body-sized bunny groups.  For serious field work the Single Six needs better sights. I put Bowen Rough Country ones on mine and they are well worth it.  I prefer the Single Six in the .32 HRM caliber as a trail gun because that option gives you many  reloading options, flatter trajectory which makes reliable game hits to 100 yards possible, useful field energy approximating the .32-20 Winchester, all in a trim field gun, with better accuracy than all but the best .22s.  

I recently put my ca. 1942 Colt Sport 4-1/2” barrel Woodsman through its paces. I tested it hand-held on sandbags, indoors at 25 yards using the orginal irons sights, aiming at the Standard American B8 target. I fired five consecutive ten-shot groups with several ammos. I then compared those results against similar samples fired with some borrowed modern auto pistols and older .22 revolvers and auto pistols which were deemed  “good shooters” in their day. 

The auto pistol data below are averages of five consecutive 10-shot groups at 25 yards. Both Rugers were fired using a 4X Leupold pistol scope to do a better job of testing the pistols, rather than the ability of this old fart to see the sights!  The High Standard Victor is a well proven match gun used by a Master competitive shooter friend of mine, which I intended as sort of a benchmark. I shot it about as well hand-held at 25 yards off handbags with my 59 year-old eyes as the gun will do at 50 yards with the same ammo off the Ransom rest. So, that, my friends, is the measure of truth and reality!  

The High Standard Model B is 1942 production with 6-3/4” barrel which was a retired bush pilot's actual Alaska survival gun.  I shot some old ammo from the survival seat pack that used to ride in his  plane and some new stuff.   

The Beretta 70S is the ca. 1968 “Jaguar” model which used to be imported into the US.  This is the lightest 6” barrel .22 autoloader I have ever seen, weighing only 20 oz.  These also came in 2-barrel sets with 3.5” and 6” barrels.  They are difficult to shoot accurately, but are quality guns if you can find one.

*Two High Standard Sentinel revolvers tested are both fixed sight 9-shooters found at pawn shops for around $150.  These are ugly very serviceable if found in good mechanical condition which time and index well, without noticeable cylinder end play. I fired one 9-shot cylinder load in each per group.  

**The Colt Officer's Model Match was made in 1959 and is a target grade revolver, a 6-shooter. In it I fired TWO cylinder loads, totalling 12 shots  per group. 

The Walther P.22 was a current model and afterthought which clearly illustrates my disappointment with the current offerings of compact .22 pistols.  It is barely accurate enough for combat silhouette targets.  As a kid I could shoot my Whamo slingshot more precisely than this!  

Gun  Bbl.Length  Sights Ammo Avg. ES(Ins.) 5x10@25yds* 

1942 Colt Woodsman 4-1/2” irons CCI Std. (USA)  1.5” CCI Blazer (USA) 2.0” Eley Std (UK) 1.25" 

1942 High Standard Model B, 6/3/4” irons "Sterile Package Brown Box” FMJ Ball M24  2.0" Canuck (1965) HP 2.2" CCI Blazer (USA) 1.85" Eley Standard (UK) 1.5"

HS Victor 5-1/2” irons Eley Std. (UK) 1.0" Eley Sport (Mexico) 1.3”

HS Sentinel R107 revolver 4” irons CCI Std. (USA) 2.6"* Eley Std. (UK) 2.3" Eley Sport (Mexico) 2.3" CCI Blaser (USA) 2.3" Winchester Super-X (USA) 2.7

HS Sentinel R103 revolver 6” irons Eley Sport (Mexico) 2" CCI Blaser (USA)  2.2" Winchester Super-X (USA) 2.5"*

Ruger MkI 6-7/8” 4X Leupold CCI Std. (USA) 1.5” CCI Blazer (USA)  2" Eley Sport (Mexico) 1.1" 

Ruger Mk.III 5-1/2” 4X Leupold Eley Std. (UK) 1.25" Eley Sport (Mexico) 1.25”

Walther P22 3.5” irons CCI Std. (USA) 4” CCI Blazer (USA) 5"+ 

Beretta 70S 6” irons Eley Std. (UK) 2" 

Colt OM revolver 6” irons Eley Std. (UK) 2” Eley Sport (Mexico) 2" CCI Blaser (USA) 2"**

Your mileage may vary, but I haven't seen anything in the .22 handguns which is going to make me want to replace my old Colts or High Standards... *  UPDATE 7-7-2008  * Over the weekend I stumbled into the rarest of finds... a 1936 Walther Olympia Deutsche Jagerschaft Pistole in .22 LR with 12cm barrel.  It came from the estate of a WWII vet who brought it back after the war.  Firing off sandbags at 25 yards with the iron sights six consecutive 9-shot groups at 25 yards with Eley Sport averaged 1.3 inches.   CCI Subsonic Hollowpoint did the same.   I finally found a .22 more accurate than a Woodsman.  SEE PHOTO BELOW. If you search around you can still find a serviceable Colt Woodsman, Huntsman or Challenger for around $700-900, depending upon condition. 

A High Standard Model A, B, GB, D, H-B, or H-D in similar VG to Exc. condition sell for $200-300 less than a Colt in similar condition. The High Standard Model B uses the same magazines as the pre-war Colt Woodsman and is similarly trim, light and accurate.  High Standards in serviceable condition are  common on web sites such as Cabela's Gun Library, and are worth looking for to have shipped to your FFL dealer, if you are serious about finding a .22 pistol for your survival ruck or mere as a collectible plinker you can hand down to your grandkids.  

Every vintage Colt or High Standard .22 autopistol I've shot, if not abused, shoots just these.  A used High Standard costs less than a new Ruger.  A good used Colt costs less than buying the Ruger and then having it “tricked out” by a gunsmith.  The classic trapper's .22 autos  are sure handy in the ruck and still worth EVERY penny! 

Surprisingly, an inexpensive .22 revolver may shoot as well as an expensive one.  If you can find one of the H&R Sportsman, High Standard Double-Nine or Sentinel 9-shot .22 revolvers, tight and in good mechanical condition, and cheap (less than $200) don't pass it up. You may be pleasantly surprised. Test fire it by cutting the corner out of a Kraft paper grocery bag, poke the muzzle out and fire a cylinder load through it double-action. Inspect the bag to see if any lead fragments cut holes when exiting the sides of the bag.  If not, it's a keeper. Clean it well, and shoot GREASED or WAXED, UNPLATED ammo in it. Avoid plated, dry-lubed bullets in revolvers, because they lead up the forcing cone and cylinder throats, destroying accuracy. 

Ordinary CCI Standard Velocity, the CCI High Velocity Small Game Bullet (SGB), CCI Subsonic Hollow-Point and Eley Sport are the best bang for the buck. Some batches of CCI Blazer shoot OK, but you need to test.  The CCI Subsonic HP is the only standard velocity round I have found which expands reliably in my 4-1/2” Woodsman.  Of the high velocity rounds the Winchester Power Point was best. Getting expansion from .22  revolvers is problematic because the cylinder gap reduces velocity and any cylinder misalignment causes asymmetical scrubbing which accentuates initial yaw as the bullet leaves the muzzle.  

In water-jug I have found that the same bullets which expand well from the 4-1/2” Woodsman do not from revolvers.  In most revolvers you are better off with solids, high velocity is OK if you can find a batch of unplated stuff that is accurate. I use the Hanned SGB die to clip the noses off to make flat points, which are more effective.  

About 25 years ago I went through a succession of S&W .22 Kit Guns and K-22 revolvers. I didn't find any that would average consistently less than 2” at 25 yards hand held off handbags. A few were better than that on the Ransom Rest, but Dad's Woodsman put them all to shame when fired off sandbags.  

So practice with your .22 handgun frequently from a field position, using the sights you've got. Use a Para cord lanyard to steady it unless you can get Mr. Wabbit to stay STILL while you settle the gun in your Ransom rest, yeah, right? 8-)

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 14 September 2007

I got a 22/45 which I think fits into the category you are speaking of Ed.

I agree the trigger leaves something to be desired.

I get a little better than 1.5 at 25 yards, never shoot it much at 50 as I shake too darn much.

I do have an old H&R model 6 that shoots great! The sights lack a little, but it is sure fun to shoot. Picked it up in Phoenix for 50 bucks in 2000.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 15 September 2007

Hi Ed... hey ya gotta try CCI Green Tag, it will shoot about 7 or 8  out of 10 just like the good stuff ... of course, the other 2 are flyers .... ............. but, hey, like Jeff says ... these are lead !!  Flyers are always ruining my groups !! 

Anyway, ya got me all jazzed up to finally put another barrel on my standard 1960 vintage Ruger .....  yep, a 47 year old autoloder with a few cases of ammo thru it ... only broke a spring retainer blade (? ) was cheap to replace.  Still plink with it almost every week.

Back when I wuz younger I used to racoon hunt at night with dogs ... my handy Ruger with a 1.5 weaver scope was just fantastic for head shots in tall trees to bring down a racoon that wasn't going to tear up our dogs.  That round receiver is so so easy to mount weaver bases on.

Question:  how do I get the barrel off ?  I do varios rifles all the time and know the trick about grooving right at the front of the receiver ring .... is this necessary on the pistol ....  or is there some demon secret to it ??  

thanks for any input .. ken campbell, deltawerkes

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 19 September 2007

I never found Green Tag shot any better than CCI's ordinary standard velocity, which is already pretty good. I figure that if you can't tell the difference, don't spend the money. I just bought 10,000 rounds of Eley Sport. 

Don't let the “Made in Mexico” label on the Eley Sport scare you.  It's actually great ammo, which averages an inch for five consecutive 10-shot groups at 25 yards fired off sandbags from my friend's Ruger Mk.III 5-1/2” bull barrel with 4X Leupold. As good as Eley Standard (the UK stuff) and its cheaper than CCI Blazer!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

CB posted this 24 September 2007

I have been shooting a Ruger MK II stainless steel pistol at 50 and 100 yards for a couple of years now.

I can't see without a scope, and have Simmons 4X, NC Star 4X and 2-7X scopes. I found on all of these that unscrewing the front thing gives access to the turn-the-lens apparatus, and I can completely eliminate parallax.

I can't shoot for beans just holding the gun, so I invented the astonishingly clever MIRACLEREST, composed of space age plastics. From the plumbing section of the hardware store.

Even with the MIRACLEREST (no false modesty from me!) I can't get scrunched down far enough to see through the scope, so I've had my brother the cabinet maker construct several models of the ALTITUDE ENHANCING DEVICE (box) to get everything up to where I can shoot, see, hit the target and not moan in pain.

This setup allows me to shoot five ten shot groups and average under 2” at 50 yards and under 4” at 100 yards. So far the 50 yard average is 1.912", minimum group size 1", 100 yard average is 3.659", minimum group size is 2.6".

Remington Target and CCI Standard Velocity work best, there's no improvement with Eley Pistol Match, RWS Match, Federal Lightning, CCI Green Tag(never worked well in any 22 I've owned), or PMC Match. So far.

I frequently but not always get the first shot out of the group. This can be fixed by putting the ctg in the chamber then hand closing the bolt then putting in a magazine of 9. But not always.

I think that somewhere between a lot and most of the group size is in my holding, loose or tight, where the gun sits on the wedge, etc.

A match where the low cost ammo was the standard, and higher cost ammo was handicapped by increasing group size (your ammo cost twice what the low cost ammo cost, we'll mark your groups as twice as big as they measure) would set the Eley folks back a bit and take $$ out of the equation.

I'm still working on it and hope to shoot better-the NCStar 2-7 does NOT shoot best at 7X, the target = aiming point and the scope need matching, or the target needs improvement or ??? A 6” bull at 100 yards is as easy or easier to shoot at as a 3/4” dot or 1” dot or ??

joe brennan

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 12 December 2007

I confess.  I was web surfing the Cabelas Gun Library and the devil made me do it....

I found a Colt Cobra .22 LR with 3” barrel.  I paid VERY dearly for it.

To me it is worth every penny.  Perfect for Plinker's Hollow! 

Go ahead and drool! 

Attached Files

CB posted this 12 December 2007

See what I mean... We don't stand a chance to grab up on the good stuff, Ed has it all!

Hey Ed, wanna adopt some more kids??

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 13 December 2007

Reminds me of a personal ad I saw in a NH newspaper:;

WANTED: Woman to keep house, chop wood, tend stove, clean fish, cook game. Axe, chainsaw, broom, mop, kitchen knives, .22 rifle and fishing pole provided. Applicant must furnish own pickup, boat and motor. Please send picture of boat and motor c/o P.O. Box 12345, Sunapee Trader, Newport, NH 03373

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 21 December 2007

Ed; I have to say that I tend to agree with most of what you say.

I am active in a local club with 650 members.

I DO recommend that new pistol shooters consider a Ruger in one of the many variations. If they are going to use optical sights, then I suggest that they get the polymer frames for the lighter weight. I prefer Red Dots for my aging eyes.

I also tell them to not even unpack the new Ruger, but take it to a very good local pistol smith (we are very fortunate in this regard) and have him do a complete trigger job. He charges about $35.00 plus parts and you end up with a VERY competitive pistol for little money.

My .22 pistol is a Smith 41 heavy barrel with a Leupold scope. I will probably swap the scope for a lighter weight and easier to see Red Dot, shortly. I have an extra light weight barrel for the Smith for field use. However, I too, tend to carry .32's in the field.

Dale53

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 21 December 2007

Dale53,

Which .32s and loads do you like?
Just curious 8-)

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 21 December 2007

Ed; I load and shoot “magnum” loads on occasion but I must confess that I mostly shoot .32 S&W L cases with 2.8 Win 231 behind a Keith Style 100 gr bullet (Lee six cavity Group Buy mould). The bullets come from the mould at .314” with my alloy, and I size at .313". I am now lubing with Carnauba Red, White Label: http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/index.html

I have a Smith 631 in .32 magnum, a 16-4 Smith 6” in .32 magnum, and a Ruger SP101 4” in .32 magnum. However, as stated above, I mostly shoot .32 S&W Longs. I can hardly think of a better edible small game round out there (you can make a good argument that there are others as “good” as the .32 S&W L with a proper bullet loaded to a decent velocity but there are NONE better for the woods rambler.

If a feller or gal prefers the .38 Special, they won't get a complaint from me, but I'll just smile a little and walk on down the road...

Dale53

Attached Files

BruceV posted this 22 December 2007

My one and only .22 handgun is a S&W M-18 4” revolver. I traded for one around July of 1985 and foolishly let it slip away. I finally found a equally nice one in 2003. With decent ammo it will keep two cylinder loads under 2 inches at 25 yds. One day maybe I'll find someone with a Ransom rest so that I can really see what it will do. One day I will buy a Ruger Mk. II and put a good red dot sight on it. I always did like that little 4” model with the tapered barrel as it was the first .22 handgun I ever owned.

Attached Files

bb posted this 02 May 2008

Ed, I would like to hear more about your experiences with that Beretta 70 with the 6inch barrel.  I recently sold of a 70s with the short barrel.  It was a fine gun and really fit my hand.  I had a lot of fun with it but eventually just wasn't satisfied with the 3.5” groups at 25 yards.  i was surprised that it shot that well as that seems pretty good for such a small pistol, but eventually i just wanted more.

the smith &wesson 317 i bought several years ago was a similar story.  3-4” groups were disappointing and i sold it.  my mod. 34 will do about 1.5” and i was hoping for something close from that 317.

i just bought an aluminum pac-lite barrel/receiver for my ruger mkII.  have not shot it yet but they get great reviews accuracy-wise.  on a steel frame i am guesstimating the total package weighs about 20 ounces unloaded; and that is with a 6” barrel.  i have high hopes as it feels wonderful;  and i still have the original 5.5” bull barrel too although it has been shot so much that the ejector is working loose and sometimes causes trouble.  my mod. 34 may soon be given to a friend who likes it, but i will be quite happy with my 2-barreled ruger.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 02 May 2008

bb wrote: Ed, I would like to hear more about your experiences with that Beretta 70 with the 6inch barrel.  I recently sold off a 70s with the short barrel... I had a lot of fun with it but eventually just wasn't satisfied with the 3.5” groups at 25 yards.  The 6” barrel I had didn't group any better for me than the 3.5” but was easier to shoot well due to with its longer sight radius. I sold it to a friend who made a generous offer so that he could have it modified for a “can."  

I found the Beretta .22 pistols to be very ammo specific.  They work best with  European ammo having large bullet diameters of .224"+ in a subsonic loading having a GREASED bullet.  Eley Standard, Eley Subsonic HP, RWS Target Pistol or RWS Subsonic HP averaged 2” or under for five 8-shot groups handheld off sandbags.  Plated US high velocity regardless of brand was over 3 inches.  Dry waxed US ammo such as CCI Blaser, CCI Subsonic HP and Winchester T22 were 2-1/2 to 2-3/4".   My batch of Green Tag did OK at 2".  Best cheap ammo is Eley Sport from Mexico, which also does 2".

My friend Dennis Carlini also has a 3.5” Beretta, his an M71, and it does 2 inches with (Mexican) Eley Sport, whereas his Colt Type II Woodsman 6” will do an inch with it.  

Attached Files

KenK posted this 03 May 2008

My dad was pretty involved with bullseye shooting back in the 70's.  He had a late 1960's vintage Browning Challenger that was unbelievably accurate.

The club he shot at was close to Ft. Benning and a lot of those guys came to shoot.  He could about hold his own with the .38 and .45 but nobody could touch him with the .22.

His might have been an exception, it's the only one I'm really familiar with.

Attached Files

bb posted this 03 May 2008

Ed, thanks for the info on the ammo for the Beretta.  i sold it to a friend so i will pass along your ammo suggestions to him.

i shot my pac-lite ruger today.  very nice!  from a rest at 25 yards with iron sights, it put everything i tried into about 1.5” with 10 shot groups.  that is about as good as i can do with iron sights anyway.  it didn't seem ammo sensitive at all.  stingers, power points, subsonic aguila, and even bulk pack federal all shot about the same.  i didn't try any match-type ammo as i mainly want a plinker, offhand practice, and small game gun.  i am thrilled.  it looks good, works 100%, feels good in the hand, has great accuracy, is super light and still holds pretty steady offhand.  highly recommended!

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 03 May 2008

Ed; I have been MOST neglectful. I neglected to mention how much I enjoyed your VERY detailed report. To say that “I agree with most of what you said” did not begin to state how much I appreciate that kind of report.

Thank you and Well, done!

Dale53

Attached Files

galenaholic posted this 04 May 2008

KenK wrote: My dad was pretty involved with bullseye shooting back in the 70's.  He had a late 1960's vintage Browning Challenger that was unbelievably accurate.

The club he shot at was close to Ft. Benning and a lot of those guys came to shoot.  He could about hold his own with the .38 and .45 but nobody could touch him with the .22.

His might have been an exception, it's the only one I'm really familiar with.

My wife's nephew has one of those Challengers. I'm no great shakes as a pistol shot, but when I shot his, I put ten shots in a group slightly bigger than a dime.:shock:

I tried to buy that gun off him but he wouldn't sell at any price.  :( I think they probably were all great shooters due to the very fine trigger they had, if his was any example.

Paul B.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 16 July 2010

Found another gem I couldn't leave alone. I was scrounging thru old posts looking for .22 handgun info and ran across this. Recently I was able to get a 1960 Ruger MK I into California only to be told by my ffl he couldn't release it to me because it wasn't on the DOJ 'approved list'. After 6-7 months I succeeded in proving that it was exempt due to it's age(over 50) and that it's no longer made. After a range test I started researching triggers. Now after reading Ed's post I'm concerned a trigger job will affect reliability. Is this problem common or have some of you found the aftermarket parts ok in the reliability department. If I go for it I'll take it to a pro for the work.

This post also got me thinking about .22s I should have kept, like a mint H&R 999 and a Taurus Model ?. I don't remember the model number, but it was a 4” barrel stainless steel 9 shot, like a j frame Kit Gun. That little sucker shot good and would take speed loaders too. Then there's that '64 Skylark ragtop cheerleader hauler....

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 16 July 2010

Aftermarket Ruger trigger parts will work OK, but best installed by someone who has done alot of them, as individual guns can be tricky, and problems hard to diagnose if unfamiliar. Best to leave the springs alone unless you intend to tune and adjust the gun to use only one ammo.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 18 January 2011

Latest new toy is a High Standard Model B US marked. Found in a local shop for $300. Fellow thought it was a “parts” gun because barrel was Parkerized and the rest blued, but barrel says U.S. Property on it, so I figure if not original it is an arsenal rebarrel. Shoots good, don't care.

Second pistol below is a civilian Model B with 6-3/4 inch barrel.  Shoots like a rifle. Used to be the late Col. Gregory Kalnitzky's survival ruck gun he carried in his Air America days.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 18 January 2011

Nifty little guns, Ed. Never had one of the early ones, where they as well made as the later models? Safe to shoot with HS ammo? Ric

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 18 January 2011

All the WWII-era High Standards are fine with high velocity ammo.

It is true that you need to be careful with some of early Colts which did not have a hardened mainspring housing.

I think the workmanship of the older High Standards is right up with Colt. Both the above guns made in 1942 according to serial number records.

Attached Files

jhrosier posted this 18 January 2011

Ed, That US marked HS is a dandy, for sure.

I've always been a fan of the Colt Woodsman but never had the funds to scoff up a target model. I do have a 4” Woodsman and shoot it from time to time. I always worry that some irreplaceable part is going to break, so it only gets used about once a year.

I picked up a nice Browning Buckmark a few years back. I was surprised to find it almost identical to the Woodsman, but with better sights.

I bought a Ruger MKII 6-7/8 target model the first year they came out. I could never hit much with it although others found it very accurate. I thought about dumping it last year but then found a set of the Volquartsen target grips on sale. The target grips made all the difference in the world. I can't hardly miss with it now.:D

My favorite revolver is a Ruger Single-Six Hunter that my wife bought for me a couple of years ago. It will shoot into an inch at twenty five yards from a rest and with decent ammo. It seems to like the Federal Auto Match better than most others. The Federal 550 rd bulk pack with the 36 gr copper washed bullet do nearly as well and I use them a lot for plinking. Since the top rib of the barrel is cut for Ruger rings, I mounted a Burris Fastfire red dot sight. The factory sights are a tiny gold bead front with a hog waller V notch rear and my eyes just aren't up to that sort of foolishness any more. It is strange the Ruger makes the gun to use easily replaceable front sight blades but offers absolutely no replacement blades.:X

I would like to get a 4” K frame S&W in .22 but I'm not able to justify most of a thousand dollars for the name.

I've thought more than once about getting a stainless Bearcat and having David Clements add a set of his adjustable sights. Even with the sights and a trigger job it would be less expensive than a S&W.

Jack

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 18 January 2011

I had a Taurus about 25 yrs. ago that was a surprising little thing. Stainless steel, like a J frame, 9 shot. I think it had a 3” barrel if I remember right, adjustable sights. Price was good. Don't know why I still don't have it. A good .22 is a joy to have. My current favorite is a Ruger MK 1 Target. Shoots better than I can. Had a 999 Sporstman that was a shooter too, my brother got it.

Attached Files

JimmyDee posted this 18 January 2011

See, Ed just keeps making me do things!

Ed Harris wrote: *  UPDATE 7-7-2008  * Over the weekend I stumbled into the rarest of finds... a 1936 Walther Olympia Deutsche Jagerschaft Pistole in .22 LR with 12cm barrel. 

Here's my knock-off:  It's a only-allowed-for-a brief-interval Norinco imported by NA Arms of NJ (Go figure.) that shoots better than every other pistol I do or have ever owned.

Attached Files

Close