Group size and twist rates for the 308 Winchester

• 1.9K Views
  • Last Post 08 January 2016
Scearcy posted this 06 January 2016

There is an interesting thread regarding the RPM threshold of cast bullets. After following this thread for a couple of days, I decided to add an data point. The data included in this post was taken from the past 13 years of national match results.  I  have included only the entrants using a 308 Winchester in either the Production class or the Hunter class. The 308 is an obvious choice as it is both popular in our sport and is available from the major manufacturers in both 1x10 twist and 1x12 twist rates.  I have included only entrants who completed the entire 2 day course of fire. The data points included here are the 5 shot MOA agg and the 10 shot MOA agg. There were 105 entrants who met the criteria.  Thus the data includes 1,260 groups consolidated into 210 MOA aggs.  59 of the entrants had 1x10 twist barrels and 46 entrants had 1x12.  For those of you who follow match results, there are well known shooters represented under both twist rates. There also is a reasonable balance of rifles manufactured by our two major suppliers under each twist rate.  I don't represent this data as anything other than interesting. While it is not a statistically reliable data set, it is a data set compiled under verified match conditions.   So here it is: 1x10 twist 5 shot MOA = 1.245 minutes10 shot MOA = 1.772 minutes 1x12 twist 5 shot MOA = 1.202 minutes10 shot MOA = 1.675 minutes Enjoy!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
John Alexander posted this 06 January 2016

Thanks for taking the time to compile this data.  The more information we have to consider the less our opinions will wander off the track.

John

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 06 January 2016

regarding the test by lmg .... we would naturally like to see another thousand data points ... but .... it starts to look as if ..... if rpm is kept below the ” critical ” point ........individual barrels might be as important as twist rate .

what we need is a major sponsor ....

ken

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 06 January 2016

According to Vaughn's equation for predicting deflection because of imbalance there is no critical Point.  The faster the spin the bigger the deflection.  I suspect that if 308s with 8” twists were used in CBA competition JHS might have found that their average accuracy was a small percentage worse than the average for 10” twist -- but maybe not because the difference between 10” and 12” twists was so small.

Of course there are  critical points when something changes suddenly such as when a Hornet JB in a Swift disintegrates in flight. Many CB shooters have found one by increasing powder charges until at some velocity accuracy drops. LMG and goodsteel call such points “thresholds.” I am looking forward to reading all of LMG's chapters but haven't had time yet.

John

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 06 January 2016

JHS wrote: There is an interesting thread regarding the RPM threshold of cast bullets. After following this thread for a couple of days, I decided to add a data point. The data included in this post was taken from the past 13 years of national match results.  I  have included only the entrants using a 308 Winchester in either the Production class or the Hunter class. The 308 is an obvious choice as it is both popular in our sport and is available from the major manufacturers in both 1x10 twist and 1x12 twist rates.  I have included only entrants who completed the entire 2 day course of fire. The data points included here are the 5 shot MOA agg and the 10 shot MOA agg. There were 105 entrants who met the criteria.  Thus the data includes 1,260 groups consolidated into 210 MOA aggs.  59 of the entrants had 1x10 twist barrels and 46 entrants had 1x12.  For those of you who follow match results, there are well known shooters represented under both twist rates. There also is a reasonable balance of rifles manufactured by our two major suppliers under each twist rate.  I don't represent this data as anything other than interesting. While it is not a statistically reliable data set, it is a data set compiled under verified match conditions.   So here it is: 1x10 twist 5 shot MOA = 1.245 minutes10 shot MOA = 1.772 minutes 1x12 twist 5 shot MOA = 1.202 minutes10 shot MOA = 1.675 minutes Enjoy!Are not all/most Savage 308 rifles 10” twist? What 308 rifles had 12” twist?

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 06 January 2016

The Savage rifles were mostly but not all 10 twist.  The Remington rifles were mostly 12 twist. I used the twist as reported.  There is a good chance that a few of the entrants didn't know the twist rate for their rifle.  If one had the inclination it would be interesting to correlate to brand of rifle.  It would also be interesting to correlate the bullet used to the twist rate. After sleeping on this, I think the remarkable fact is that the results are as similar as they are.  To me it suggests that competitors work with the rifle they have until they reach some level of competitiveness. I wonder (personal bias here) if we expend more effort to be competitive than we do to actually beat our competitors. The averages don't tell the whole story either.  Since the data is on the computer I may at least take a look at the standard deviations of the four data sets. I am a math geek after all. Jim

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 07 January 2016

Jim, I am one of the competitors! Once I can get the rifle to shoot groups with the “winners", I am off to practice and stop looking for loads.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 07 January 2016

I took a minute to calculate the standard deviation of each of the four data sets last night.  The results were more significant than the simple means of each set of numbers.  While the mean group size was quite similar when comparing the 10” twist rifles to the 12” twist rifles, the standard deviations varied more.  The table below summarizes the key numbers: 10” twist: 5 shot moa 10 shot moamean 1.245 1.772std dev .302 .51095% limit 1.850 2.791

12” twist: 5 shot moa 10 shot moamean 1.202 1.675std dev .215 .34895% limit 1.633 2.370 Here the 95% limit means we can have a 95% confidence that the result will be less than this number - assuming a normal distribution of groups.  The 12” twist groups clearly cluster more tightly to the mean.   What conclusion should we draw from this, if any, I am not sure.  Numbers can lie but they do seem to indicate that all else being equal you improve your chances (slightly) of avoiding a bad group by using a 12” twist rifle. 

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 07 January 2016

Well that table didn't work.

10” twist 5 shot moa-- mean=1.245, std dev=.302, 95%=1.85

10” twist 10 shot moa--mean=1.772, std dev=.510, 95%=2.791

12” twist 5 shot moa--mean=1.202,std dev=.215, 95%=1.633

12” twist 10 shot moa--mean=1.675, std dev=.348, 95%=2.370

I hope this is better

Attached Files

goodsteel posted this 07 January 2016

In my experience, barrel quality is the paramount consideration with accuracy. Screw in a hummer and you can make amazing things happen regardless. That said, I think it's obvious that drastically over-spinning a bullet cannot be good. A fun thing to play with is the twist rate calculator on Berger Bullets web site.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

Punch in the physical characteristics for our cast bullets, and you find out they are drastically shorter and more compact than their jacketed counterparts. Thus, a twist rate that sufficiently stabilizes a 168 grain bullet is drastically over-stabilizing a cast bullet of the same weight.

So what I did was reverse the equation so that a jacketed barrel had the same SG value as the cast bullet did with a “normal” twist rate, and observed just how fast a twist rate it would take to get a 168 jacketed bullet to that level of SG. Turns out, that in a 308 Winchester, in order to shoot a jacketed bullet to the same SG value as a cast bullet of similar weight in a 1-10 twist, the corrected twist rate would be 1-6.5!!!!

now, who would intentionally spin a bullet that much faster than they need to?

Now, to calculate it a different way, how slow would you have to shoot in order to lower the SG value to a reasonable but still VERY VERY stable SG of about 2.75? Answer is 500 FPS.

What do you think?

Attached Files

goodsteel posted this 07 January 2016

One more that I didn't mention. If you take the calculator and punch it up so that it will tell you the correct twist rate for a 168 grain cast bullet at 1800fps, in order to get a SG value of the previously mentioned 2.75 (which for the record is spinning like the button on the outhouse door, and is way too fast for target work IMHO) you get an ideal twist rate of 1-12.5ish. Much much better.

You guys go ahead and play with the calculator and compare your cast bullets to jacketed and see what's up. Personally, I'm looking for a SG value of 1.65ish. Definitely stable, but not crazy.

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 07 January 2016

Interesting. I use the Applied Ballistics Calculator as received with Bryan Litz's book on Applied Ballistics For Long Range Shooting. It uses the Miller Formula and gives an SG of 1.4 as fully stabilized. Just noting the difference so you can compare the two. Using my cast (#2 alloy) 30 XCBs at .985 length at 1800 fps I get the following SGs;

10” twist: 3.84 SG 12” twist: 2.67 SG 14” twist: 1.96 SG 16” twist: 1.50 SG

I might have to just drop back to 1700 - 1900 fps with my 16” twist 30x57 XCB just for S&Gs to see what happens.....

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 07 January 2016

LMG wrote: Interesting. I use the Applied Ballistics Calculator as received with Bryan Litz's book on Applied Ballistics For Long Range Shooting. It uses the Miller Formula and gives an SG of 1.4 as fully stabilized. Just noting the difference so you can compare the two. Using my cast (#2 alloy) 30 XCBs at .985 length at 1800 fps I get the following SGs;

10” twist: 3.84 SG 12” twist: 2.67 SG 14” twist: 1.96 SG 16” twist: 1.50 SG

I might have to just drop back to 1700 - 1900 fps with my 16” twist 30x57 XCB just for S&Gs to see what happens.....

LMG

This sounds interesting. Hopefully consistent 1/2” groups are the result. 30 lb BR rifle helps

Maybe we have been spinning our lead bullets much too fast.

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 07 January 2016

This is the program that I use:

http://www.geoffrey-kolbe.com/barreltwist.htm

It solves for a SG of 1.5. The program uses the CG as one of the things calulated. The CG changes with nose shape, it also can do secant ogives. If you'll play with the nose shape, you'll fine that as the CG moves back, the needed twist, decreases by a little and it's the only program that I know of that deals with subsonic flight, a area that I'm very interested in.

Frank

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 07 January 2016

For Joeb: You asked about Savage .308's in 10 or 12 pitch. Two years ago I bought a BR in 308; only after I got it did I determine that it was catalog listed with a 12” twist. I was disappointed at the time, because, for me, 10” was the default twist.

Only after I quit shooting it with 30+ Year old Federal Match did I find out how good it could group. I am quite satisfied with the 12” twist, and, in addition it is a pretty good cast rifle.

Realizing, of course, that the above is too small a number to be statistically significant and it applies to me only--but it is, at least, a small bit of info.

Bill

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 07 January 2016

JHS Wrote: What conclusion should we draw from this, if any, I am not sure.  Numbers can lie but they do seem to indicate that all else being equal you improve your chances (slightly) of avoiding a bad group by using a 12” twist rifle. 

One other conclusion you could reach is you have a better chance of shooting a very little group with a 10” twist. Maybe win a “best group” ribbon?

This is just a WA guess but I suspect that more casual or beginning shooters are shooting Savages because it dominated for quite a few years and won some titles.  If there is anything to that it could account for both the slightly small mean and SD for the 12 inch twist.  On the other hand you can speculate the opposite and which would mean the 12” twists are really even more accurate than the numbers show.  Wild speculation.

John

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 08 January 2016

7.9 TWIST, RPM AND ACCURACY   Do bullets shoot more accurately with slower twists = lower RPMs; assuming stability of the bullets? Doesn't mean that the other variables don't count; they do. We have some evidence that slower twists work better = better accuracy than faster twists at higher velocities and lower RPMs. First is the 30BR light bullet slow twist for SCORE in modern benchrest. There's a lot on the 30BR and short bullets and slow twists at http://www.6mmbr.com/30BR.html Second is the CBA experimenters shooting higher velocities with slow twists, accurately. See The Fouling Shot, Sept.-Oct. 2008, pg. 195-18. Third is the results of Larry's Gibson's experiments, the results of which suggest that faster twist barrels run out of accuracy earlier than slower twist barrels, as velocity and RPM increase. Fourth is from the Berger Bullets web site at http://www.bergerbullets.com   "Q: What does the recommended twist mean? A: We list a twist rate that will produce the best stability in all situations. Factors like temperature, elevation and muzzle velocity will affect how the bullet will stabilize. The twist rates we recommend will give you the best stability at the slowest twist possible. The recommended twist is based on a range of velocity so it is a guideline not an absolute requirement.   Q: Why do you recommend the slowest twist? A: Spinning a bullet faster than necessary can amplify any inconsistency in the bullet. Since we use J4 jackets you can shoot Berger Bullets in faster twist than what is listed. We list the slowest twist rate needed because we want to squeeze every bit o0f accuracy out of a rifle."   My interpretation of this set of 4 lumps of evidence is that there is a STRONG suggestion that stable bullets shoot more accurately with slower twist barrels at higher velocities = lower RPM. Not proved, proving is hard and expensive. RPM is not the sole, and probably not the most important accuracy determinator. All the other variables, ctg., powder, primer, bullet, alloy, lube, ... affect accuracy. To some degree. To make the suggestion STRONGER, we need more data. But, my interpretation of the data/evidence we do have leads me to the conclusion that I will specify the SLOWEST twist that will stabilize the planned bullet on my next re-barreling of a gun. Because, at up 200 yards, I know of no evidence that a slow twist/stable bullet combination is LESS accurate than faster twists. If Greenhill says that the minimum twist for stability is 1:17", I know of nothing suggesting that 1: <17” is MORE accurate. For a given bullet. That's how I see it.   Pat Iffland: I've said in another thread it's been my experience and a lot of other really good shooters I know that in a thirty caliber starting with a 10 twist at around 1850 fps you can gain about 100 fps more velocity and still maintain BEST accuracy for every inch reduction in twist. Smaller than 30 cal and you can run faster RPM, larger requires slower. Which is why you see 7 and 9 twists in the 22 calibers and 18 and 20 in the 45s. Pat recommended that I look at the Lilja barrel site, this address: http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles/bullets_ballastics/bullet_imbalance_twist.htm>http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles...ancetwist.htm

The crux of the article is in this quote: "It is obvious ”¦ that two aspects of shooting are quite important. Namely, that we use high quality bullets and the slowest twist that will adequately stabilize that bullet.” I suspect that short light bullets are easier to shoot accurately, hence the references to 100-125 grain .30 caliber bullets. Greenhill says that in 30 caliber, a 10” twist will stabilize a bullet 1.42” long, which would weigh ~250 grains. It says that a 15” twist, for example, will stabilize a bullet .95” long weighing ~166 grains. All cast bullets. I think it's clear that 30 caliber twists are generally “faster than needed", that slower twists with shorter lighter bullets are easier to shoot and torque on the bags less. My impression is that gain twist and slow twist barrels are “easier on the bullet” as the bullet accelerates in rotation.  

Attached Files

Close