THE EFFECT OF MINOR ERRORS ON GROUP SIZE

• Last Post 31 December 2015
joeb33050 posted this 30 December 2015

12/8/15 7.5/Blue Dot

NOE 227-80 3 groups avg 2.35"

THE EFFECT OF MINOR ERRORS ON GROUP SIZE

Let “error” mean a deviation from perfection.

Some shooters contend that elimination of minor errors; such as variations in bullet weight or condition, powder weight, bullet or cartridge case orientation; increases accuracy.

Assume that a certain minor error causes an increase in group size. Perfect shots produce groups of a certain size, shots with a particular minor error produce larger groups. Perfect shot groups form one distribution, groups of shots with that particular minor error form a different distribution.

Let the perfect shot groups average 1” , and let different minor errors produce groups that average 1.25” , 1.5” , 1.75” , 2” , 2.25” and 2.5” . For example, the bullet weight minor error  might produce groups of 1.25” , powder weight minor error might produce groups of 1.5” , etc.

For five shot groups, when one shot with a minor error is included with four perfect shots, group size will be larger than groups shot with five perfect shots. How much larger? 

Minor               Average

Error                5 shot

Group              Group

Size”                Size”

1.25                 1.028

1.5                   1.061

1.75                 1.100

2.0                   1.144               

2.25                 1.188

2.5                   1.236

We would expect that minor errors would not be included uniformly, with one minor error in each set of five shots. 

We would expect minor errors to occur less frequently, in less than 100% of the groups.

If, for example, minor errors with group size of 2” occur 50% of the time, then 50% of the time all shots are perfect and then average 5 shot group size falls to 1.072” .  {It’s  ((1.144-1)*.5) + 1.}

Minor errors make small changes to average group size.

See the fascinating EXCEL workbook TWO DISTRIBUTION GROUP SIZE. 

Attachment: TWO DISTRIBUTION GROUP SIZE.xls below.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Scearcy posted this 30 December 2015

WOW! I have many years of math and statistics in my background and you are forcing me to dust it off.  I haven't spent enough time thinking about this yet but I wanted to give some initial response.  I believe your model provides a very useful way for considering the flier (I am coming to hate that word) phenomena. It demonstrates what we have observed.  An occasional shot well out of an individual group leaves such a faint footprint statistically that it is hard to track and quantify the cause. IMO for what it is worth.  Good stuff Joe.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 30 December 2015

Thanks Joe! Explained this way I am beginning to understand, but then I'm a chemist, not a math guy. Ric

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 31 December 2015

Very useful when thinking of this issue. You have pointed this out before but printing the example makes it real.   Would make a nice short article for TFS.

I will copy and pin up inside powder cabinet.  If we has “stickies” that should be one.

John

Attached Files

Close