Ideal 357446

• Last Post 13 November 2015
Pigslayer posted this 13 November 2015

I picked up (for the heck of it) an Ideal 357446 single cavity mold. The reviews that I have read are mostly unsatisfactory although a few were very good. I cast a few last night (About 30) and found that my bullets dropped at .3605” but with the forward driving band at .356". I have read that that bullet should be loaded on the hot side to get it to shoot well. I'm going to play with it. Any comments are welcome.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

358156hp posted this 13 November 2015

There were two major versions of 357446, the original ones had a thicker front driving band, and those appear to be the ones that performed the best. There were also versions with a thin front band, and I'm guessing that those may be the ones that didn't perform well. I didn't realize that there were two versions until I bought a pair of these moulds on separate auctions. Sure enough, I ended up with one of each. Over time, I sold or traded both off. Earlier this year I bought another one, and it has the thicker front band. I have yet to cast with it. At one point I had pics of both cavities, but the links appear to have expired now.

Attached Files

Close