45/45/10 vs powder coat shootout

• 1.8K Views
  • Last Post 01 September 2015
guncheese posted this 01 September 2015

for those that are interested. I spent some time working up a test to see if one is better then the other at target velocities.i tried to take as many variables out as i could hence the scoped 6” 686 off bags.i dont have or have access to a Ransom rest so i used the best thing i could find my range pal Daves nerves of steel!so here is a link to a Google collection of all the posts and many pix of the prep and the test and the results hope you find it useful (the posts are numberd 1 thru 8 with pix inside them) https://plus.google.com/u/0/collection/IPBoAB>Big Lube Shootout

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 01 September 2015

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=7349>guncheese

Thanks for your efforts.

I am very familiar with both home made and commercially made 45:45:10. It is easily visible in your pictures that you incorrectly and seriously over applied 45:45:10 to your bullets. Two coats correctly applied dries nearly clear with no blotchy color blobs like you have done. A lube build up like you have from over application of  45:45:10 does not enhance accuracy, it only adds smoke, stink,  and mess to clean from your firearm.

Gary

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 01 September 2015

Less cost fuss and work , plus  the use of Lee push sizing dies , for me the Xlox and Liquid Alox  are very hard to beat .

Less time in the loading shop means more time on the range

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 01 September 2015

Interesting, 7/16th inch difference at 50 yards. And I thought wad cutters were going to be unstable at that distance. Informative comparison, thank you.

Attached Files

well to tell the truth, this test wasnt about 45/45/10 as we all know that it is a perfectly fine lube.this test was about gathering data on the effectiveness of powder coating. i use both methods and i dont think one is more accurate than another.i like powder coating because it is fun and i dont like to follow blindly down the same trail as everybody else.I have been told many times that with out data showing that it did not have a detrimental effect on accuracy, that it isnt even worth trying.so i conducted a test using procedures that i know are effective and tried to reduce the number of controllable variables.onondaga wrote:  A lube build up like you have from over application of  45:45:10 does not enhance accuracy, it only adds smoke, stink,  and mess to clean from your firearm

Attached Files

the wadcutter has been used for decades for bullseye matches at 50yds.although the 7/16” is alot during a match. i dont consider it really anything for the purpose of this test. I have shot many thousands of 45/45/10 as well as powder coat. and i never expected powder coat to out perform tumble lube.i expected just what i got, a dead heat.there are a number of other check marks in the pro column for powder coat, but for accuracy both types get a check. Duane Mellenbruch wrote: 7/16th inch difference at 50 yards. And I thought wad cutters were going to be unstable at that distance. Informative comparison, thank you.

Attached Files

Close