Bench resting a pistol

• 4.1K Views
  • Last Post 14 April 2015
99 Strajght posted this 07 April 2015

What is the best way to bench rest a pistol? I have tried several ways and still get fliers and large groups. I can get a better group off hand so I know I am doing something wrong. Thank You

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
R. Dupraz posted this 07 April 2015

Not enough information. What kind of pistol? What kind of rest? At what distance?

Grip, trigger control, sight picture, sight alignment etc. are everything even when shooting over a rest.

Attached Files

99 Strajght posted this 07 April 2015

I have 2 pistols that I am trying to work up cast bullet loads for.  An STI 2011 Edge in 40 S&W and a Springfield XDM in 40 S&W. I will be using them for USPSA shooting at from 5 to 25 yards. I am trying to bench rest at 25 yards. Both have factory open sights. I have tried sandbags in different places under the pistols and getting a lot of fliers. Not sure where to put the sandbag or what else to use.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 07 April 2015

i just grip the pistol in my usual 2 handed grip ... then rest my weak hand on a sand bag . i don't let the pistol touch anything but my hands . a machine rest MIGHT get smaller groups but i am more interested in relative accuracy of different loads .

consistency in grip and trigger finger is still important .

with revolvers keep your fingers back from the cylinder gap blast effects .

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 07 April 2015

I do the same as Ken, except I rest the weak wrist on the sand bag. I like them up really high so I can see through the sweet spot on my glasses. FWIW, Ric

Attached Files

Bongo Boy posted this 10 April 2015

Just so you know, you're not alone. I consistently get worse groups shooting from a rest than shooting freehand. Haven't figured out what I'm doing wrong yet but I always try to remember: the bullets hit exactly where the gun was aimed when it discharged. Beyond that, not much need be said. I'm looking forward to trying the technique mentioned above--I've always tried to rest the gun itself, and then attempt to get a decent grip on it. Just resting the hand sounds promising.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 10 April 2015

Most of you probably are familiar with this...the single action revolver can be one of the most difficult to shoot accurately handguns. The small grip and the “roll” of the gun during recoil makes consistent hold and grip pressure the #1 skills to be proficient at!

My best results from the bench with a handgun (not my XP-100 with 3” wide forend which is not a handgun!) are developed when the gun is not in contact with the sandbags.

Tom

Attached Files

99 Strajght posted this 10 April 2015

Well I think I have found my problem from your answers. I always put the pistol into the sand bag as tight as I could. Next range session I am trying the Off hand rest. Thank You

Attached Files

99 Strajght posted this 13 April 2015

Well that did not work. It must be me. I can not get a good group from any kind of rest.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 13 April 2015

next step is to have a pistol prodigy participate in poking holes in your paper . not too many pistols actually shoot really well, ya know . just like wimmin critters are not just soft boys, ... handguns are not just short rifles ....

ken

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 14 April 2015

In several years of shooting pistols from the bench, including Savage Striker, Savage 10 home made, Competitor, M 29 and Ruger MK II, I was able to get each gun to pretty reliably average around or under 2” 100 yard 5 group 5 shot averages. I think that I learned the following:  Many/most pistols will shoot accurately. I'd bet that almost any pistol in good shape will shoot < 4” 5 shot 100 yard group averages with a good scope and rest, out of the chute. ( I did not shoot CF autoloading pistols.) 22rf M17 and MKll with selected ammunition-back when one could buy ammunition-were astoundingly accurate. The bench rest design and height makes a BIG difference. Watch someone shoot a pistol off sandbags. Neck bend, seat height, eyeglasses-10 minutes tells the tale. You have to get the gun 9” to a foot above the bench. The scope is important. Using a good rifle scope can work, but a good pistol scope works better. Variable high power rifle scopes at lower powers have more eye relief. SKILL matters most, with a decent gun/scope/bench rest. I reached the point where my skill was the limiting factor. I could call most shots, but not control the gun. When it went off, I frequently had it aimed off.That's my lack of skill, eyesight, tremor, age.

Attached Files

Or

Attached Files

I found that the Simmons Prohunter 2-6 X 32 handgun scope was sorta the threshold scope. It was ~$100 on sale, and was about the minimum $ scope I found that worked for me. For 22rf , low recoil, an AO weaver 3-9 worked OK.

Attached Files

gunarea posted this 14 April 2015

Hey Joeb

I know it is a bit off topic but, is that a Lone Eagle or a New Process?

Roy

Shoot often, Shoot well

Attached Files

gunarea wrote: Hey Joeb

I know it is a bit off topic but, is that a Lone Eagle or a New Process?

Roy COMPETITOR, made by the guys in Jaffrey NH.

Attached Files

rockquarry posted this 14 April 2015

I use a simple commercial pistol rest I bought thirty years ago, but sandbags will work fine. Rest the front of the frame only ( easier to rest the triggerguard only on something like a 1911)on the padded rest or sandbag.

There may be exceptions, but I've found generally that resting the barrel anywhere on its length will open groups. Use a two-handed grip; do not rest the gun butt on sandbags; here again the groups will likely open up if you do.

Use a firm to moderate grip consistently. It's a waste of time to shoot rested groups at less than 25 yards as little or nothing will be learned as to the accuracy potential of the load.

Don't sight-in from a rested position. Most handguns will shoot to a different point of impact than they will in an unrested offhand position.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 14 April 2015

The secret to shooting a HG accurately over a rest or otherwise is really simple---

"Causing the pistol to fire without disturbing the sight picture."

Getting there is the challenge. The term “rest” is misleading. Whatever support is used, it is only used to “steady” the pistol and not to rest it. Resting only introduces additional forces. Any one can shoot when the HG is locked in and all one has to do is squeeze the trigger. And different types of HG's require different techniques in hold, grip and trigger control.

Shooting small groups with any HG is not possible without the shooter first mastering or a least understanding the basic fundamentals of-

1. grip
  2. hold
  3. sight alignment
  4. sight picture
  5. trigger control
  6. follow through

Attached Files

Close