Sleeved Remington 222 BR rifle

• 3.1K Views
  • Last Post 10 March 2015
OU812 posted this 05 March 2015

Is this a good deal? Sleeved Remington  222 with a .244 neck . I believe it has a 23in barrel , hard to measure with sleeve . One inch at muzzle . Stock is 3in br stock , with action glued in . Trigger make unknown but it is awesome at 2oz . Round count ? Who knows ? Shoot's fairly consistant in the mid .1's . I was told it was built by Sinclair which is the only marking on the gun . Got a few marks on the stock but overall a nice gun . Single shot follower , side bolt release , Remington bolt . $800.00

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 05 March 2015

it is a good deal if you want to shoot from a bench ...the light trigger and square stock is almost unusable for plinking or hunting .

also it probably has a 14 twist, which john a. ( 2 time nat. champ ...almost 3 time ... ) feels too slow for 200 yard shooting lead bullets ...

here is what i would do : buy it and 300 of berger match bullets ... shoot from bench until you get bored with one-hole groups ... then keep the memories and sell the gun ...

or if you like to tinker, you could buy a bdl stock on ebay for $100, pillar bed your iron into that and possibly run a necker reamer out to tight saami so you don't need to turn brass ...sell your br stock for $168 on ebay or brforum ... then you would have a great plinker/varmint rifle.

i doubt it would be optimized for cast bullets, but would be worth a try just for fun.

hey i have a br barrel in 222 mag smithed by sinclair !!

ken

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 05 March 2015

B R central has a for sale area.There's a NJ shop that sells used BR rifles, lots of them. So compare prices.joe b.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 05 March 2015

I do not know anything about BR rifles and I was just wondering would this be a good beginners gun for BR shooting. Barrel is a slow 1/14” twist, but I could change it out for 1/9” or 1/10” twist barrel. This will cost more money.

Just a Panda or BAT action is very expensive. More than $800.00   Who or what is Sinclair? Is it a barrel maker, gun smith.....? 

Attached Files

norm posted this 06 March 2015

Fred Sinclair was/is a highly regarded bench rest gunsmith.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 06 March 2015

begginer's br gun . that's kind of like a beginners's indy 500 race car . ( g )

the 222 cartridge is still good enough to finish in the top half at a regional br meet, so the rest ( g ) is up to the rifle and shooter . it would be fun to see how well it would do ; also consider that a beginner learns mostly by being there and listening y observing the other shooters. your rifle looks to be quite good enough for that. btw, a cf benchrest rifle that can stay under 1/4 minute will still get you in the 50 per-centile results. ( and being at 50 per cent in a big match is a nice accomplishment !! ) .

if your rifle will shoot a lot of 1/4 moa groups, i would not spend a dime on improving it; i would go to and learn from a few bench shoots; then decide what YOUR definition of * competition * might be ...

ken

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 07 March 2015

It's a good deal.

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 08 March 2015

Like a well-kept used car, you can get started for less money and do much with this setup. The rifle is a known entity and you can perfect your technique, especially hold and judging wind drift. I still drag out my 6X47 on a trued 788 action for practice now and then to be sure the nut behind the butt-plate is performing to par.   The one factor not conducive to cast bullet shooting is the probable twist rate of 1 in 14” which will limit you to lighter bullets. Still, that does not mean you cannot shoot well, you will need to judge wind much more closely. As time goes by, you can switch bolts and barrels or keep the bolt and rebarrel to a 7 mm or .308 barrel with a cartridge based on the .223 Remington case. This will give you the option of a faster twist and heavier bullets for lessened wind drift.

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 10 March 2015

You can wear out that .222 (good luck!) and get it re-rifled.

Attached Files

Close