Weaver scopes

• 3.7K Views
  • Last Post 09 January 2015
billglaze posted this 01 November 2014

Recently I bought  Model 70 varmint model, with a heavy barrel, off the rack at a gun store.Didn't get a chance to shoot it for a week.  The week was filled with buyer's remorse.  Why did he sell it?  It looked brand new; no bluing worn off the bolt handle, bore had looked great (in the store) trigger pull was just about perfect--why was it on the rack? I know--it wouldn't shoot good.  Had to be that.So, I bought an embarrasinfly cheap scope for it, and the next day I grabbed some ammo off the shelf, which had been meant for one of my M1's when I was shooting High Power back in the 1980'sTook it out to the range, and the first five went less than 1/2"; next 5 were smaller.Suddenly, I realized I just may have a world-beater; the limiting factor now is the scope,  which has to do with the infernal adjustmentsPoint of this request for guidance:  What do y'all think of the T series Weaver?  I see a lot of them being used in the matches, according to TFS.I my set the rifle up for the only scopes whose adjustments I trust: the old Lyman STS.  (One of which I started Smallbore competition with in 1948, the other of the same vintage was my Dad's)Thanks for your patience on this posting; looking for comments and command guidance.Bill    

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
joeb33050 posted this 01 November 2014

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 01 November 2014

I have been shooting a couple of Weaver T36 for a dozen years and had them on several rifles.  The adjustments have always worked well although a little hard to read. The only complaint I have had is the absolutely crazy way the elevation knob is numbered. One rotation is worth 9MOA  but instead of being marked from 0 to 8 it is marked both ways from 0 to 4.5 which is fine for the windage knob.  So the elevation knob has two 1s, two 2s, two 3s, and two 4s. -- much easier to make a mistake about where you are. Other than that it is a good scope for the money.   John

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 01 November 2014

At this point in time, the only reason I am held back from just putting scope blocks on the M 70 is because I'm concerned that something in the process will affect the accuracy; kind of a modification of the “if it ain't broke, don't fix” it philosophy.  Presently, I don't want to even want to take it out of the composition beavertail stock.I mean, when I get a .250” shooting rifle over the counter, (wyinell did he sell it? divorce money? car payment? why?)So, I'm pretty well set on trying to use a scope with infernal adjustments; it's just a gamble, nothing I've ever seen can compete with the honesty of the old Lyman/Unertl micrometer adjustments.  Two clicks means 1/2 minute change.  Period.  Served my old idol, Carlos Hathcock pretty well; I guess if it's good enough for him, it's good enuff for me.  Still considering, and listening to input from the group, thanks for the interest/replies;  all are respectfully considered and appreciated. Bill

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 02 November 2014

heh, the t36 weaver is the best buy, when ” probably real good for the money ” .. is factored in. assuming you want a pure bench scope . when i was shooting 22 rf bench, a few weavers were returned for warranty because the adjustments were slipping 1/8 moa ... heh heh, i think cast shooters could live with that ” worst case ” .. btw, more leupoldi were returned than weaveri ...

for general shooting, be aware that a 36 power is a bit finicky about focus ... very short focal range ... if you want to test 10 of five shot groups, you may haze out about the 30 th shot.

for general testing, i prefer my weaver micro-trac kt16, 6-24v, or my steel t20 ... then i tell myself my groups could have been 0.050 smaller with more magnification. not a worry with my 2 to 4 moa normal groups.

oh, my 1955 weaver k10 is still working !!

ken

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 02 November 2014

All I can add is Good Score! Keep that gun. Don't change nuthin'. I bought a near new Rem 700 SPS Varmint .223 to try to beat John Alexander in Small Bore. I also wondered why the previous owner sold it. Seemed unused. With jacketed it'll go .5 and better but I haven't got there with cbs. It does crater the primers around the firing pin no matter what the load. My really high magnification scopes are cheapies. The BSA 36X actually works but it does have that really short focal plane. A couple old 'NRA' (Brunton) scopes have held up well. Maybe check out some used scopes?

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 02 November 2014

Joeb's statement, as well as John's (and others) seem to indicate the ability to easily swap the Weaver (or any other 1” tube scopes, I assume) between rifles which would work out, inasmuch as another rifle I have is a Savage 12, (new) also in .308. I've got to explore the Savage more, inasmuch as it has only been used for cast bullets, and not given a fair chance to explore it's latent accuracy possibilities, compounded by the fact that until last Friday, I hadn't fired a jb in over 13 months. I've been so wound-up in cast, that I haven't wanted to shoot anything else. How do you spell “tunnel vision?") Anyway, still reading all postings and exploring any obvious options. Thanks, all Bill

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 02 November 2014

tim t.: primer extruding around pin.

fix is smaller dia. firing pin and reface to snug fit. i recommend jim carstensen for that; if not retired. he is an honorary iowan ( g ) .

ken

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 02 November 2014

Have two T-36 scopes. one on an XP-100 and one on a Savage Model 12....no complaints at all!

Tom

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 08 January 2015

After the glowing endorsements written here, Santa couldn't very well short me on Christmas. I've been a good boy; haven't shot a jb since Oct. 2013. If that's not being Good, I don't know what is. So, I found a Weaver T-36 under the tree. Just managed to shoot it yesterday; boy, it's as good as all you folks said. Nearly as bright as the 2” Unertl, field of view surprisingly wide, but, greatest of all, for the first time, it looks like I finally have a scope that has accurate, dependable adjustments. If it holds up, it will have the first infernal adjustments I can depend on. Thanks to all who replied to my inquiries.

Bill

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 09 January 2015

I think the Weaver is a good value for the price. My next purchase will probably be a Weaver as the longer body works well on my Stevens 44 1/2. Weaver stands behind their product as well as Leupold, which is important. I currently own six 36X scopes: <>2 Weaver <>2 Bausche and Lomb <*>2 Leupold  All function well with the clicks repeatable; the optics clear, they do not fog and the companies stand behind their product. The only down factor for the Weaver is the crazy turret markings, possibly influenced by some slick-cover gun magazine writer who can shoot better groups with his keyboard than his trigger finger.   Weaver is the best buy for value today in my opinion. You can buy used a Leupold on http://www.benchrest.com>http://www.benchrest.com for a little more than a new Weaver and the Bausch and Lomb is out-of-production. I will buy any Bausch and Lomb 36X that I find at a reasonable price.  

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 09 January 2015

i have for sale a B&L 6-24 barrel mount target scope; i was going to put on some ruger one in 32-40 ? or something, but my upcoming projects will be small caliber cast bullets. mostly. excellent condition, no bases, but of course the external rings. $460 shipped. pm me if.

Attached Files

Close