Elmer's shot loads

• 4.7K Views
  • Last Post 27 December 2013
Shadowdog posted this 07 December 2013

Always looking for new/old things to try, I dug out some old Guns&Ammo magazines a few years ago and stumbled on some of Elmer Keith's “Gun Notes". The October, 1969 issue dealt with shot loads for revolvers, cheap and easy to assemble for just about any revolver caliber.

The basic loading sequence is simple, no special equipment or shot cups needed, just cases, primers, powder, fine shot, and gas checks, (or card wads of the proper size).

Resize and prime as usual.

Dispense proper powder charge for caliber, (see chart below).

Ram a gas check, cup down or card disc down on top of the powder.

With an appropriate size scoop such as a LEE dipper, dispense the shot charge to within 1/16” below the mouth of the case. Fine shot, #8-#12 works best.

Place another gas check cup down, or card disc in the mouth of the case and crimp as normal.

Elmer lists loads for .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, and .45 Colt. Bullseye is the only powder he listed.

.357 Magnum-2.5gr.

.41 Magnum and .44 special-3.0gr.

.44 Magnum and .45 Colt-3.5gr.

Elmer used gas checks, but I don't use gas checks for any handgun load, so I used some ALCAN .44 card discs for .44 Magnum in my 4” S&W 629-3. They work great, giving an effective pattern out to 20 feet from the muzzle. Plenty good for vermin and small game at close range, or some aerial trick shooting.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
mckg posted this 07 December 2013

Thank you!

Attached Files

mckg posted this 07 December 2013

Double tap... :taz:

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 08 December 2013

Elmer's shot loads from 1969 is something I never forgot either. I just made some a couple months ago in .500 S&W:

http://s30.photobucket.com/user/rhymeswithwhat/media/PC080048_zps686450af.jpg.html>

Attached Files

Garyshome posted this 26 December 2013

Interesting info! Good for snake's.

Attached Files

Shadowdog posted this 26 December 2013

They do okay at close range on small game and birds too. My 4” S&W 629 patterns very well, about 10” at 20' with #7 1/2 shot. I think I would take a shot out to about 25' max on small game.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 26 December 2013

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=5428>Shadowdog

The patterns with larger shot stay tighter for longer distances and hit a lot harder too. That is why I prefer #2 or #4 shot for actually hunting. The little size #7.5 spreads fast, shoots all over the place, loses energy very fast and doesn't kill squirrels for me.

Gary

Attached Files

Shadowdog posted this 26 December 2013

I'll give it a try, I have some #3 and #5, but only tried the 7 1/2 so far. I need to give this a try in my .45 Colt New Service too!

Attached Files

Vassal posted this 27 December 2013

?v=6LC4_UZfJZE>
?v=6LC4UZfJZE Coincidence???

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 27 December 2013

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=5428>Shadowdog

Your #3s will kill squirrels to about 20 yards from a pistol or rifle. Pattern them on paper so you know the pattern size and how it relates to your sight picture. I bet you will be happy with the #3s and the tighter hard hitting pattern.

Gary

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 27 December 2013

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=3007>Vassal

Not, coincidence and that is very old news too with little innovation. I have also used shot cups, but beware that they take up valuable space that can be occupied by more shot. Note that in the video they were also pounded into place..I can tell you why also - they don't fit - they are too tight at the bottom of the brass in the case head web and can cause unsafe pressure spikes.

Newer news is that the veggie wads and paper over shot wads don't blow holes in patterns like a shot cup and gas check do and the 5 yard patterns in the video look like they are from a blunderbuss cartoon and at greater than 5 yards they are useless for killing small game. Try #2s and actually kill a squirrel at 20 yards.  You won't go back to #7.5s if you want to eat.

Gary

Attached Files

Close