To 'Weigh' or 'Not to Weigh'

• 12K Views
  • Last Post 26 November 2009
CB posted this 04 May 2007

Quotes from 'Bullet Moulds' topic:

Veral Smith wrote:  --  May I suggest to anyone who weight sorts.  Try shooting everything that falls from your mould and looks good, and compare accuracy to your most carefully weigh sorted lots.  You probably will never weigh sort again. John Alexander wrote: Not that Veral needs any support for his ideas on casting from me, but I have run the test he suggests several times shooting alternative groups of bullets from the same lot. One group with uniform weights, one group with both the heavy and light mixed, one with mine run and so on.

I have NEVER been able to see that shooting bullets sorted by weight helped a bit and it often looked like the mine run bullets did a bit better but I have never done statistical analysis on the numbers to see if the difference was significant.

Of course all my tests were on 22 caliber bullets. You thirty caliber types will have to run your own experiments or just take Veral's word for it.

John

Weighing CBs is something I can do for control over quality.  I would find not doing it isn't really something to brag about.  Weighing bullets will tell you that there is not as much lead in one bullet over another.  Is it shrinkage discrepancies?  Is it a hollow pocket somewhere inside the confines of the surface of the cb?  Who knows?  I doubt that there is any difference between .2 grains or even .4 grains in bullets, but I'll find a few .5 to 1 grain drop in 214 grain CBs in a casting session of bullets that to me is definitely wrong.

Assuming these 1 grain differences in bullets is a hollow pocket somewhere under the surface of a bullet, it can have drastic affects on accuracy from my point of view, without facts to prove it because there is no way to find an internal void without destroying the bullet for testing.  If the void is near the center of mass and/or rotation, then rotational stability is not affected as much as a void just under the surface on the outer diameter of center causing more of an outa balance force in a 1-10” twist speeding bullet at 2,000fps. A 30 caliber bullet over a 22 caliber has about a 28% difference in diameter, 14% in circumference. Diameter forces are greater than ratio to ratio differences between the two bores.  That is enough difference for concern for me. So John, that is one advantage you have with yer 22s.................Dan

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Dicko posted this 26 November 2009

Veral Smith wrote:  --  May I suggest to anyone who weight sorts.  Try shooting everything that falls from your mould and looks good, and compare accuracy to your most carefully weigh sorted lots.  You probably will never weigh sort again. This discussion of the effects of bullet weight variation is fascinating but can also lead down a dead end street.   The first question should be “why should there be weight variation” the second “what is the effect and how much?"   

Joe Brennan's weight variance of 183.3 to 186.2 is excessive.   To be fair, most were within 183.3 to 184.0 but flyers all on the heavy side of the envelope is strange.   I normally get no more than 0.20 grains either side.   To be fair again, I have never weighed more than 100 bullets in a batch as Joe Brennan has, so it could be argued that by not weighing them all I could have missed the flyers.   The counter argument is that if I weigh half the bullets and find no flyers, the chances of all the flyers being in the half I have not weighed is statistically unlikely.   Nonetheless, I shall make a point of weighing a lot more than fifty of my next batch. 

Up to this point all bullets I have weighed have been within that 0.20 grains each way, no flyers.   That tells me that one grain each way is high and three grains should be impossible.   If 0.40 grain spread can be routinely achieved there will be no point in weighing because weighing will not find any flyers.   But I don't necessarily dismiss weighing for an important match, I'm just making the point that casting can be consistent.

But having said that, lets look at the possible effects of weight variance.   It takes a lot of testing under ideal conditions.   Joe Brennan's first test showed liitle difference between good bullets and those with 0.20 grains filed off one side, with those with 0.50 grains filed off being slightly worse.   In his second test the filed bullets outperformed the good bullets, but that simply showed that shooting in high wind introduces a big variable that renders the test useless.

Bullets stay on track by gyroscopic stability.   Perfect gyroscopic stability requires perfect bullet balance around the centre.  There is no need to find out whether a bullet with a piece filed off one side will be less accurate.  Of course it will.   It must be, because it will be out of balance, so the only question is how much less accurate.  

Walt Berger told me ( no, I don't know him, I wrote asking a couple of questions ) that eccentricity of a bullet jacket three tenths or less can't be detected at the target from a bench rest rifle, but anything above three tenths can.   Filing a nick in the side of a cast bullet simulates that.   But if a 0.20 grain nick filed on the outside of the bullet shows a barely measurable difference at the target, bullets that cast within a 0.40 weight spread will be so well balanced that there will be no detectable difference on the target.   

It also depends on the rifle and loading technique.   Walt Berger also told me that a hunting rifle even if accurised would not group better with bench rest bullets than with hunting bullets because it is not accurate enough to use the superior accuracy of bench rest bullets.   Loading technique can be a bigger variable than small differences in bullet weight or balance.   Which is no doubt why bullet weight variance is one of the least important factors in accuracy.

Bottom line ?   Time is better spent on casting consistent bullets than on weighing them.

Somewhere in this thread somebody said that alloy temp and thus mould temp causes variance in bullet weight.   So I tested it by casting two batches of bullets from the same alloy at 610F ( the lowest my pot would go ) and 760F ( set at 750 on the pot but 760 by separate thermometer ).

At 610 the weight of ten bullets was 184.4 min, 184.6 max, 184.5 average.   At 760 it was 184.6 min, 184.7 max, 184.66 average.    Weight was 0.16 grains more at the higher temp and the spread was half.    The reason ?   My guess is better fill out at higher temp.   As might be expected, at only 0.16 grains heavier, the better fill out was hard to see even with a watchmaker's loupe.   About the only place it could be seen was that the line left by the mould interface was slightly more pronounced.

Will I cast hotter in future ?  No, because casting hotter = casting slower, and such a tiny difference in weight means nothing in either bullet quality or results at the target.  It confirms the claim that weight varies with temp but it is so slight as to be meaningless, and certainly does not explain weight differences of a grain or two.  

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 06 November 2009

Wineman loaned me his six cavity Lee GB mold for a super fat 30. I'm new to using a six cavity so don't know exactly what to expect. Last effort produced good looking bullets with a extreme weight variation of 2.3 gr. with an average about 176 gr. total weight. The majority are within 1 gr. or less of average. Is this good for a six cavity or do I need to work on my technique more? I plan to weigh them and seperate into three groups for loading, so that will be fine, I was just wondering what I should expect from a gang mold like this.

Attached Files

Sailman posted this 31 May 2007

Joe

I went to the range yesterday and did some testing. I was compairing cast bullets that were cast from a new mold. A lot of the bullets had wrinkles on the surface from oil etc. that is typical of a new mold. I call these bullets the PRUNES. In the test, the prunes were compaired to bullets cast after the mold was broke in. I did NOT weigh any of the bullets. I shot two 10 shot groups with the prunes and two 10 shot groups with the good bullets. All testing was done with the same powder and powder charge ( 15.5 gr of 4227 ). The bullet was 311672. The rifle was a Savage Model 12 with scope ( 76 year old eyes did not play any part in the results ). The distance was 100 yds.

The results are as follows: First 10 shot group with prunes = 3 3/4 Second 10 shot group with prunes = 3 7/8

First 10 shot group-good bullets = 1 3/4
 Second 10 shot group-good bullets = 1 9/16

It should be noted that the first 10 shot group with the prunes was shot with a cold barrel. However, the second 10 shot group with the prunes was shot with a warm barrel but the group size did not change that much.

As noted before, none of the bullets were weighed so one can make some kind of an assumption that the vairation of bullet weight with the prunes DID affect accuracy.

Orville

Attached Files

CB posted this 26 May 2007

TRK

I have done your third comparison which seems to me to be the most sever test. See my May 5 post back on page one and my quoted comments on May 4 of this thread.

I alternated groups of uniform wt. bullets in the mid range with groups of a combination of the light and heavy bullets. A bit like Joe's protocol.( Not shooting one type one day and the other some other time)

I have fired dozens of such pairs of groups and the last time I totaled them up the groups with weight variations were a bit smaller. Maybe I haven't shot enough groups to find that uniform groups will shoot better but it doesn't look promising.

Now if that doesn't seem “logical” to some people or doesn't fit their well thought out theory all I can say is try it yourself and see what happens. I wish someone would do the same for 30 caliber bullets.

John

Attached Files

CB posted this 26 May 2007

Joe,

I agree with the concept of what you're saying but using your cylinder gap example there are definites that can be learned by using chronographs. When it comes to actual shooting tests there's so many variables thrown in that unless the gun was bolted to a bench and shot in a wind free warehouse a lot of what you think you've learned might not be the true picture. Did you orient your bullets in any way during your testing or where they randomly chambered. If you did orient did you also orient the bullets without the groove. You said before that you didn't think orienting helped where I disagree with that from my own experience.

Some day down the road doing a couple of tests might be possible but right now I have my hands full trying to get this new barrel shooting.

Pat

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 25 May 2007

Since most of us don't file a groove in the sides of our bullets, I'd like to see a more real-life test. (Although the test done is good and mirrors what Dr Mann did in the 1900-1920's.)

Take 100 bullets as cast. Sort by weight. Test one or more 5 shot groups from bullets of near the average weight and make comparisons with:

bullets that are close in weight but heavy, bullets that are close in weight but light, bullets that represent a range of weights from lightest to heaviest.

Then I could apply this to what I do. If the test were run repeatedly, then I could infer that I would expect to get the same results by doing the same thing.

It's good to see emperical testing (vs. I think that ....).

Attached Files

CB posted this 25 May 2007

pat i. wrote: Joe Brennan wrote: It seems clear that the more you file off one side of the bullet, the better the accuracy. Or could this just be messy data?

joe brennan

Joe,

This is why people use IMHO or YMMV when writing of their experiences.

By the way good test and maybe it does prove something. Worry a little less about 2 tenths of a gr. or a bullet that's a couple thousandths out of round and pay more attention to the wind. It can blow bullets into a group as well as out.

Pat  Pat;

Data is messy, if you look at what I've put up here, and what's in “damaged bullets” in the book, you'll see the messiness. Messy data is a sign of truth-telling by the teller/experimenter. But , underneath the mess there is a fact lurking, the answer to the question: “Does a filed off piece of lead from the side of a bullet affect accuracy, and if so, what is the relationship between grains filed off and accuracy?. There's a fact, a truth out there, it does NOT vary from person to person and/or gun to gun-people who think so confuse the messiness of data with the difference person to person, gun to gun.

An example. Cylinder-barrel gaps in revolvers give gun writers a lot to talk and write about, and gave Senor Nagant the impetus to design that revolver that solved a non-existant problem. With the introducti0on of the Dan Wesson revolver, suddenly we had the ability to vary the gap from zero to ??; and I've read at least 3 tests, looking for the FACT, “How much does velocity vary with gap?". In all of these 3 tests, at least once as the gap was increased, MV INCREASED with the larger gap. Because of this, I believed that the tester had done the tests. Why? Because data is messy, because it takes a lot of shots in repeated tests to finally come up with an approximation of the fact.

Saying YMMV or IMHO diminishes the experience, needlessly, because the writer fails to understand that data is messy, and that there is a fact out there, wanting to come inside and be recognized.

If you drop an ingot on your foot, you might well say a “Darn It!". When you tell someone about the experience and your pain, you don't say “YMMV” or “IMHO". This because that data ain't very messy.

The revolver? It seems that in summation, the powder is pretty well burned by the time the bul;let base ctosses the gap, and within reason the gap size doesn't matter.

I'm working on next week's test, how about doing one your own self?

If there are 5XX people on this forum, they're the quietest folks I've ever heard of. Maybe some are dead.

joe brennan     

Attached Files

CB posted this 25 May 2007

Joe Brennan wrote: It seems clear that the more you file off one side of the bullet, the better the accuracy. Or could this just be messy data?

joe brennan

Joe,

This is why people use IMHO or YMMV when writing of their experiences.

By the way good test and maybe it does prove something. Worry a little less about 2 tenths of a gr. or a bullet that's a couple thousandths out of round and pay more attention to the wind. It can blow bullets into a group as well as out.

Pat 

Attached Files

CB posted this 24 May 2007

Maybe you have some lopsided lead?

Attached Files

CB posted this 24 May 2007

5/23/07, M54 Win. 30WCF, 30X STS,  314299 Lino, .309", 12.5/AA#9, WLP, 2.830” LOA. Windy enough that Bill Schroeder went home without shooting his rifle, blew my Kroil can over many times, from ~1:30. In South Florida it is windy from Halloween to Memorial Day, HOT from Memorial Day to Halloween. Sometimes windy in the summer. Katrina etc. It has never been 100 degrees in Miami.

Perfect bullets 1.3", 1.7", 2.0", 2.1", 1.8", avg. 1.78"

.2 grain round filed off the side bullets .9", 1.75", 1.3", 2.15", 2.05", avg. 1.63"

.5 gr filed ditto above 1.75", 1.3", 1.25", 2.05", 1.15", avg. 1.50"

It seems clear that the more you file off one side of the bullet, the better the accuracy. Or could this just be messy data?

joe brennan

Attached Files

CB posted this 22 May 2007

I'm going to do the same thing tomorrow. 5 5-shot groups with Perfect, .2 grain filed off and .5 grain filed off bullets.

joe brennan 

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 17 May 2007

Joe Brennan wrotebut it's the truth and I always tell the truth.

I like ” I always lie ” ....  , a subset of women's logic .... or maybe a subset of CastBullet logic ...

Anyway, am ejoying your Vision  Quest ....  great stuff, keep it up !

admiring groupie guy, ken campbell

Attached Files

CB posted this 17 May 2007

On Wednesday, May 16, 2007 I shot the test “filed-side” bullets.

Winchester M54, Lyman 30X STS, 100 Yard, 314299, Alox, hard, 12.5 AA#9, WLP, LOA 2.845", 100 yards, 2 foulers and 2 5-shot groups per 15 minute relay, alternating between the 3 test loads. Groups measured to the nearest .025” with a plastic ruler with .1” increments.

Unfiled, “perfect” bullets: 1.4", 1.5” ,1.95” ,1.475” ,1.825” Avg. 1.63”

Bullets with .2 grain round-filed off the side: 2.2", 1.35", 1.2", 1.95", 1.275"  Avg. 1.595"

Bullets with .5 grain round-filed off the side: .95", 2.75", 1.175", 3.15", 2.5” Avg.  2.105"

I'm a little surprised at the “perfect” bullet groups; the 412 5-shot groups I've tested with this rifle and many powders/several bullets have averaged 1.466".

This data and last weeks data suggests that variations in bullet weight may cause variations in accuracy; and that bullets with bubbles/holes may be less accurate than those without.

All going toward the “Weigh bullets” question.

I have to think about this, and what to test next week.

Statistics could be applied to this data, but the sample sizes are too small for me to have any confidence in the results.

Once again we see the “Lyman-STS-shift". I start out shooting rocks with foulers, then move to a sighter target. The first two sighter target shots were right and low ~1.5” of the aiming point, as were the first 5 shots with .5 grain round-filed bullets. After that all the shots are ~1.5” right and high, a movement of ~3” at 100 yards. And I never adjusted the scope.

joe brennan  

Attached Files

Tycer posted this 13 May 2007

www.mountainmolds.com

Attached Files

DonH posted this 12 May 2007

Just as an aside , an old article I saw recently in a past American Rifleman about testing done on bullet imperfections, A defect in the location shown had the least effect on grouping. A defective base had the most effect followed by defects on the frint driving band. I need to look up th e article again. This is not to say the mid-bullet defect had no effect, just the least.

Attached Files

CB posted this 11 May 2007

Joe,

Fair enough, your test your parameters.

Pat

Attached Files

Or maybe here.

Attached Files

Pat;

I just finished loading next week's set of experimental bullets. There is a set of perfect?, a set with half a grain filed off, and a set with .2 grain filed off.

I've never had any luck indexing, tried for years with no perceptible differenc indexed VS. not. I know I'll have to go to hell for that, and I know that Frank Marshall is turning in his grave, but it's the truth and I always tell the truth.

Well...

Anyhow, I've never seen any convincing evidence that indexing increases accuracy. Indexing of

the bullet in the case

the case in the chamber

the case in the sizing die

the bullet in the sizing die

the primer anvil in the case

the case/bullet in the seating die

Here, for everyone's enjoyment, is a picture of the 1/2 grain filed 314299s.

joe brennan

Attached Files

Tycer,

Thanks for pointing out where the article is, saved me an hours work. 58 minutes to find where I left the book and 2 minutes to look it up.

Joe,

If you're going to continue along with your experiment would you consider in your next trial indexing a lot of five filed bullets in the barrel and see how they shoot, that's if you didn't do it in your last test? I believe most casting problems such as out of roundness can be overcome with indexing and while this might not prove it to people if it helped it would at least give them something to think about.

In reading the different forums I've found a lot of people think when someone talks about indexing they're talking about indexing the case not realizing it's the bullet being discussed.

Pat

Attached Files

Tycer wrote: Art of Bullet Casting p142-146 How Defects in Cast Bullets Affect Accuracy by Wayne Blackwell

I'm looking at it.

See his final statement:"In my casting and shooting, I will continue to inspect and weigh my bullets, carefully those for top accuracy loads-but I won't be as critical of small nose imperfections as I once was."

Words to live by.

joe brennan

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close