Your Favorite Reduced Loads for .45-70

• 4.2K Views
  • Last Post 17 November 2022
  • Topic Is Solved
LApm9 posted this 03 October 2022

What are your favorite reduced loads for the .45-70 using Bullseye, Unique, IMR 3031 or H335?  I have 150 gr collar buttons and 300 gr coated bullets.

I have looked over the Lyman manual and the Lever Guns Performance Studies table, but would like the benefit of your collective experience.

I have a modern High Wall.

Bob .45-70 & .30-30

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • nosee
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Bud Hyett posted this 03 October 2022

10.5 grains of Unique with the bullet seated deep enough to allow a slight crimp into the leading edge of the body of the bullet.

I had five hundred bullets from the old Lyman mold that I initially totally filled with NRA ALOX lube. These were so smoky that I only shot them outdoors. I then gave a light pump on the lubrisizer that was successful. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • LApm9
  • Glaciers
longhunter posted this 04 October 2022

LOL

Um..... The squares are small on the new rolls.   Do you think it will change POI?

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Glaciers
  • LApm9
Larry Gibson posted this 04 October 2022

My favorite load for my TDs is a Rapine 460250 (270 gr) loaded over 8 gr of Bullseye (no filler of wad).  It runs 1030 fps out of my Carbine TD, 1050 out of my OM TD and 1070 fps out of my rifle TD.  Accuracy is excellent out to 500 yards with negligeable recoil.

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • LApm9
  • RicinYakima
RicinYakima posted this 04 October 2022

I’m happy with 12 grains of Unique with the old 300 grain 45/90 bullet. Light recoil in the Handi-Rifle and accurate.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Maven
  • Bud Hyett
oscarflytyer posted this 03 October 2022

Don't know if it qualifies as a reduced load, but def a mild load.  I use the Lee 405 HB bullet and 38.5 gr of IMR-3031.  Plenty accurate for deer, and has performed very well for that as long as you put it in the shoulder (don't lose any meat, as our Southern white tails are so small anyway).  And plenty light for paper punching.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • LApm9
99 Strajght posted this 03 October 2022

I have always used  292 gr. cast with 38 gr. of 3031 for a good deer load.

Glenn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • LApm9
foesgth posted this 03 October 2022

My favorite for out to 100 yards.  I use 5gr. of Bullseye with an NOE collar button.  I size them .460 with SPG lube for my Trapdoor.  I put 1/4 sheet of single ply TP on top of the powder.  I just poke it in with the eraser end of a pencil.  

I also load the .457" round balls I cast for my Ruger Old Army.  I lube them with Alox and seat them all the way down on top of the powder.  I use a dowel in my drill press for this.  It has a mark to show when the ball is seated on the powder. 

I haven't used the round ball load as much now that I have a collar button mold.  You need to be careful.  These look like empty cases when you first see them.  They are also only good to about 25 yards with the big bore on my Trapdoor.

When I am practicing getting in and out of position with my High Wall I like to use 14gr. of Trail Boss over a 405gr. with HiTek coating.  That load lets me shoot out a bit farther.  

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • LApm9
nosee posted this 03 October 2022

12 gr. Trailboss

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 03 October 2022

.. i can shoot out of my shop at about 40 yards ... i have a coke can killer load of the Lee old army 240 gr mold and 13 gr. of Unique. ....   mystery alloy, no wads, no GC, soft lube ... Very few cans survive a rib shot ...   but my shoulder is thankful for these popgun loads in my light R3 Ruger single shot ...

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • LApm9
foesgth posted this 03 October 2022

Do you think the TP is needed?

I don't know really.  I got the load from an "old guy" at the range.  I'm an old guy now and I still haven't finished the first roll of TP.  I guess when it is done I will find out... if I live long enough.  I know that at 50 yards 5 of them will make a clover leaf from my 1873 Trapdoor.  

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • LApm9
Boschloper posted this 06 October 2022

My favorite is 24 grains of 2400 and any 400 to 500 grain bullet.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
foesgth posted this 07 October 2022

I don't know really.  I got the load from an "old guy" at the range.  I'm an old guy now and I still haven't finished the first roll of TP.  I guess when it is done I will find out... if I live long enough.  I know that at 50 yards 5 of them will make a clover leaf from my 1873 Trapdoor.  

Obviously, you have used this load a lot.

Have you experienced any difficult case extraction or signs of chamber ringing?

I hope I am not being insulting, but I am a newbie and need to ask these things.  

I am probably going to make up some of these later today.

Sorry about the slow reply.  I change internet providers and things were a bit strange for a while.  

I have had no problems with this load.  The cases extract easily and I probably wouldn't even need to resize them.  I have been using the same 50 Starline cases for years.  I do anneal them every once and while.

You are right about me shooting this load often.  Even though I have made it to my 70's part of my brain stopped at 10 years old.  I still get a kick out of shooting tin cans, dollar store shaving cream, steel swingers etc.  At my gun club we have a bunch of pistol bays that go out to about 60 yards.  The 10 year old me can be found there shooting at all kinds of fun targets.  Do you have any idea how far a golf ball will go when hit with 45-70?  I do!

I need to go load a bunch of BP 44-40 for my Lightning now.  A buddy of mine says he can beat me on a dueling tree with his lever gun.  You can't stay young forever but I am working on an entire life of immature.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
Qc Pistolero posted this 07 October 2022

330 gr lubed with LLA(no need to size;they drop at around .4585 with 25:1mix)topping 9gr Titegroup.Titegroup is not position sensitive and from my Pedersoli Sharps recoil is like a sweet caress from a young maiden.

They will stay within 2 1/2 to 3 inches at 100 with metallic sights.

Same load with 425 gr Accurate 460-414L will not kick much more and is accurate out to 200 yds.You can increase to 9.5gr safely if need be.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • LApm9
Qc Pistolero posted this 24 October 2022

I don't think that 4227 is well suited for such a light bullet(not enough resistance for complete and efficient combustion).I'd rather go with a quick burner like Titegroup or Trail Boss.The usual ''watch out for double charging''comment applies here since the case is so large.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • LApm9
Glaciers posted this 28 October 2022

I was interested in a collar button bullet for fun plinker loads, but I went with a slightly heavier bullet from Arsenal.  Just couldn’t warm up to the short length to diameter ratio.  

Jared at Arsenal has molds from 22 caliber to over 510 caliber.  I chose a 45 cal pistol bullet of 235 grains, diameter of .453. Jared offers to make a mold to the diameter of your choice.  I requested.459.  Hoping to test this bullet out in my Marlin and my 458x2.

like Bud I will probably crimp over the front band or will play with neck tension.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ken Campbell Iowa
LApm9 posted this 31 October 2022

More adventures with the Collar Buttons…

I loaded up five loads with 9.0 grains of Unique and another five with 14.5 grains of Unique and went off to the range…

The first four rounds of the 14.5 grain loads went into a single hole at 15 yards.  Light recoil and a satisfying report.  Round 5 went “click-bang”.  That shot printed 1” below the rest.

Round 1 of the 9.0 grain loads went “Click”.  The case ejected empty.  I looked through the bore and it looked obstructed at first, but then there was a little light showing in the upper right quadrant.  I ran the cleaning rod in from the breech and pushed out powder.  The bullet had apparently left the barrel.  No further rounds of this loading were fired.

I am going to use some nice fresh Winchester primers for the next adventure.  I am debating whether to try some Bullseye loads or wait until I can obtain some Trail Boss.

I am beginning to suspect that the light bullet, with lots of lube and minimal bearing surface, is scooting out of the barrel before the pressure can build up for proper burning.  With all the burn failures I have had, the bullet seems to have left the barrel under the primer impulse alone.  I one case I thought I pushed the bullet out, but never could find it, so the blockage could have been the powder.

If I am blowing the bullet out of the barrel, using a wad would not work any better.

Something is certainly abnormal, since others have used these bullets successfully….  It is possible that I should use these bullets for fishing weights and go to 300 grain bullets for reduced loads.

Bob .45-70 & .30-30

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Eddie Southgate posted this 17 November 2022

I shoot 26 and 28 grains of 5744 with a couple of different 405g cast bullets for light load stuff. Easy on the shoulder for targets and either will kill a deer just fine.

Grumpy Old Man With A Gun......Do Not Touch .

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
LApm9 posted this 03 October 2022

Bob .45-70 & .30-30

Attached Files

LApm9 posted this 04 October 2022

Obviously, you have used this load a lot.

Have you experienced any difficult case extraction or signs of chamber ringing?

I hope I am not being insulting, but I am a newbie and need to ask these things.  

I am probably going to make up some of these later today.

Bob .45-70 & .30-30

Attached Files

LApm9 posted this 06 October 2022

Thank you very much for all the load info!  I appreciate being able to take advantage of all your experience.

Bob .45-70 & .30-30

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close