WTB 25 Caliber Mold and/or Brass for 25-20

• Last Post 05 November 2022
  • Topic Is Solved
Aaron posted this 16 October 2022

I would dearly love to get a used 25 caliber mold from a member for a newly purchased 25-20 rifle. A PBFN bullet mold is desired. A RCBS 25-85-CM would be perfect but any PB FP mold about 90gr would work. Also seeking 25-20 brass.

Check way back in that closet. I'll bet you have some brass and a mold. 134

With rifle in hand, I confidently go forth into the darkness.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 20 October 2022

ok, while on a roll ... ( g ) ... here is another old book m... modern bond ... 

hey, i don't see anything for the 350 Legend ...

how about the price for that brass !! ...

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • hporter
  • John F.
Aaron posted this 29 October 2022

OK. So.....I either have the ONLY nickel plated Model 27-S worth a gazillion dollars or a previous owner, for whatever reason, decided to have this rifle plated. Ugh.

At least the bore is sweet.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Glaciers
  • hporter
Aaron posted this 03 November 2022

An update for everyone.

The executive overview is that due to the GENEROSITY of  hporter I have some 25-20 brass and some resized 32-20 brass to work with. Not only did he send me brass, he supplied some bullet samples. I have also acquired a box of Badman Bullets (85gr plain base) to load. After returning the Lyman die set to MidwayUSA for crushing cases, I ordered and am using the less expensive Lee die set to make the loads. With the use of a Lyman M-Die, the cast bullets seat just fine. The Lee factory crimp works great too. I have the first run of ammunition ready and will be making a range trip soon to chronograph and group the loads.

The rifle gave me a fit due to it slam-firing. I had to diagnose that issue and correct it before I could safely chamber cartridges like the rifle was designed to do. We are all ready to head to the range. Again - a huge THANK YOU to  hporter  for his generous help getting the fixings for this old girl to shoot again. After I get the range trip under my belt, I'll write all this up for a future issue of The Fouling Shot.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Glaciers
  • hporter
Aaron posted this 17 October 2022

What rifle did you get?

A nice Marlin 27s

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Glaciers
hporter posted this 19 October 2022

Shoot me your contact info in a Private Message and I will send you a few brand new 25-20 cases and (if I have some already cast up) -  a few projectiles to try out.  I had to start shooting mine with converted 32-20 until I could scrounge up brass without paying $1 a case.  It is a pain to have to do, but doable nonetheless.

I would hate for you to have dies and no brass or projectiles.  Especially with such an interesting rifle to shoot.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Aaron

... Hey for old guns you need old books ... right ?

here is an old book ... and some suggestions for the 25's ...

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • hporter
Glaciers posted this 29 October 2022

Well I love pictures of firearms.  Aaron please post a picture of your Marlin.

Top 2 are model 25’s in 25-20 and the bottom is a model 12 in 22LR.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • hporter
Glaciers posted this 29 October 2022

Couple pictures of the 25 caliber Arsenal molds

I have cast with these molds but haven’t shot any yet. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ken Campbell Iowa
Glaciers posted this 04 November 2022

I will be following this thread with interest as well! 

I just had my first casting session in a long time Wednesday, which I did cast for 5 different bullets 2 of which were the 257 caliber, 70 grain and 85 grain Arsenal.

First 2 - 22 caliber a 36 grain slick and 47 grain, next two the 70 and 85 grain, and the last a 350-250 FN hopefully for the 348.  Bought the last one for a good price used, not sure that it’s going to work in the 348.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • hporter
longhunter posted this 17 October 2022

What rifle did you get?

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 17 October 2022

Here's one...........

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-257-640-3-cavity-hollow-point-mold-gc-or-pb/

Attached Files

hporter posted this 17 October 2022

RCBS.com shows two in stock, though the asking price is pretty high!

https://www.rcbs.com/bullet-casting/moulds/bullet-mould-.25-85-cm-630/16-82301.html

Attached Files

Aaron posted this 17 October 2022

Looking for a used mold that a member has no further need of. Thanks for the internet links but seeking used.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 17 October 2022

not 90 gr, but a nice mold:

Mold,   NEI double cavity .257 60 gr and 257 75 gr  gas checked

aluminum blocks condition 9

$75 shipped, 1 week inspection .  this is the original Walt NEI, not the later one.

ken

Attached Files

hporter posted this 18 October 2022

I apologize for hijacking your thread, but just a quick thought. You might try the lighter 60gr bullets in your new rifle before buying the ~80gr mold.

I have two 25-20 rifles, and they both prefer the lighter projectiles.  I have the Lyman 257420 65gr GC mold, the NOE 65gr FNPB mold and a NOE 85gr FNPB.

If you scrape up some brass, let me know and I will send you some to try just for giggles.

Attached Files

Idahocaster posted this 19 October 2022

Sure sounds like a fun rifle! Wish I had a mold or brass I could contribute to your project. Let us know how it shoots when you get what you need!

Attached Files

Aaron posted this 19 October 2022

I apologize for hijacking your thread, but just a quick thought. You might try the lighter 60gr bullets in your new rifle before buying the ~80gr mold.

Digging and reading have shown me the value of the lighter 60gr bullets. At this point I am still pulling up articles and data about the 25-20. Researching mold makers has yielded a bunch of information as well. I am planning to take my time with this one and procure some cast bullets from available sources and get some 60gr jacketed bullets when they become available again. Since I will have to make my own brass from 32-20 brass, I won't be shooting this rifle as much as some of my other rifles in more common calibers.
I appreciate your jerk on my reins to inform me of the value and potential of the lighter bullets. In my naivety I assumed that since I had half a box of 86gr bullets, that was the best weight to use. I have since learned there are other options.
As I write this, I am still waiting on reloading dies and a Redding forming die. I have a lot of time to decide on which mold to get. In the meantime, I have a box of cast bullets inbound from Madman to satiate my initial desire to shoot this rascal.

Attached Files

Sure sounds like a fun rifle! Wish I had a mold or brass I could contribute to your project. Let us know how it shoots when you get what you need!

I'll post an initial range report when I get some loads worked up within a month. At this point I am still cleaning the rifle and removing lead from the bore. Fortunately there is only very minor pitting there and it has strong rifling. Most of the crud in the bore was leading from shooting those Remington 86gr lead bullets.

There is not a lot of literature out on the internet about these rifles and I am taking my time with it. I found a disassembly process on the Marlin Collector forum but that is about it. The one shot I did fire through it (to see if it in fact fired) was surprising to me. There was actually some recoil! Of course the rifle is pretty light but still, it surprised me.

Attached Files

You all are an amazing bunch of rascals. I am proud to be counted among you.

Attached Files

hah ! ... look what i found !! ... about 120 of Hornaday 60 gr 257 mj .... ... just right for a 25-20 ...   pm me if ....

geeze, wonder what else is in the back of my stash ?? ...  fer shurr not gonna stick my hand back there ...

ken

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close