WTB 25-20 brass or ammo

• Last Post 13 December 2022
bumtownbutch posted this 09 December 2022

My significant-other inherited an 1892 Winchester rifle from her father and would like to shoot it some.  I cannot find any brass or ammo locally and wonder if anyone may have some that they are willing to spare.  Thanks for the help.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Aaron posted this 09 December 2022

Having gone through the same issue myself in the last few months, I sympathize with you folks. You do know you can use 32-20 brass and size it down with a FL size die I assume. Lead bullets of about 80gr are available but jacketed are near impossible to find right now.

If you are going to purchase reloading tools, get yourself the RCBS Cowboy die set. It will save you a lot of money in the long run. That was a valuable lesson for me and one I will share with you.

Badman Bullets has 16 BRN bullets for the 25-20 cartridge. Ammunition is as scarce as hens teeth right now. Midway has it listed as "Special Runs" by Winchester and Remington. Get on the "Notify Me" list so you can get some factory fodder if and when it becomes available again. The price will make ya suck through your teeth but it would be nice to have a box of factory fodder for the grand-kids.

\\ Aaron \\

With rifle in hand, I confidently go forth into the darkness.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Bud Hyett
hporter posted this 10 December 2022

My buddy found these for me at an Estate sale a couple years ago.

I never find anything at Estate sales or pawn shops, but sometimes you can get lucky.

When I picked up my Marlin 25-20, I had to buy brass from a guy on Gunbroker who charged $1 per case.  Needless to say, I didn't buy much - just enough to play with my new rifle.

Then I formed my brass from 32-20 until a kind gentleman gave me a tip when the factory new brass was run again. It is not too hard to form, you lose a few learning how, but it is perfectly serviceable when you are done.

I will have to stop by my LGS.  I was there looking for Red Dot powder the other day, and they had a bunch of brass in stock.  Probably not 32-20 - but it would be worth a look.

I will also look into my stash.  I bought a bunch of 32-20 cases from Starline a few years back, but I shared half of it with my buddy.  And I have several 32-20's to feed myself.

Good luck, I am envious of your 92.  I have always wanted one.

Attached Files

ten-mile posted this 10 December 2022

Starline 32-20 is already shorter than specs, so 25-20s come out a bit short but still work great.  I have made a few thousand and the key is proper anneal of the top third of the case and using an expander to assure there are no dents on the mouth.  Torch anneal will be pretty spotty.  I use an induction annealer so every case is identical. The seater die makes a good first step forming die.

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 12 December 2022

Hello bumtownbutch,

I have some new 25-20 brass. The trouble is I'm hobbling around on a walker, getting ready to have another hip replacement and there is no way that I can get down and gather it up. sorry, but I did have good conditions.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

bumtownbutch posted this 13 December 2022

Thanks, David.  Any help, any time greatly appreciated.

Attached Files

Close