Vaquero

• 1.4K Views
  • Last Post 25 December 2021
  • Topic Is Solved
alco posted this 12 July 2021

Sending my new Vaquero off to have adjustable sights installed.  I'll try to post a picture when it gets back.

I couldn't find a Black Hawk anywhere !!!!!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Sonnyk
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
tony1960 posted this 25 December 2021

Alco, I'm with Tom, all of my single action guns use SR primers, can't find SP for love of money and they are talking up to 18 months before they hit shelves in Aus...maybe.

Attached Files

Tom G posted this 24 December 2021

If you have some small rifle primers they should work just fine.  Same dimensions as SP primers. 

They work in all my hammer fired pistols. (1911 and Browning HP)  I'm shooting SR primers in my S&W 586 revolver with the hammer spring still backed off some. Velocities are very close to SP primer loads. If you can get some, get Federal brand as they will work when some other brands won't.   

Tom

Attached Files

alco posted this 23 December 2021

Believe it or not, Fedex finally delivered a day late.   The gun looks great as Ron did a fantastic job.

Now if I only had some small pistol primers I could shoot it !!!!!!!!

Attached Files

alco posted this 23 December 2021

I don't have my revolver yet as  Fedex didn't deliver.  Was sent 2nd Day Air, but maybe I'll get it before New Years !!!!!!!

Attached Files

Boschloper posted this 23 December 2021

I have an old model stainless Vaquero .44 mag. 5.5 inch.  When I bought it new it shot low and right (I think). I turned the barrel in the frame and filed the front sight down to get a 6:00 hold. I have heard that Ruger will do it for you if you send it in. 

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 23 December 2021

I had a Colt 3rd gen in 45 Colt 6".  Shot it for years.  I went Elk hunting on Colorado and had a bad truck accident.  Broke my Sternum.  Came back to Minnesota for Deer season.  I could not shoot a rifle but the .45 was ok.  I shot 2 deer in the neck and had them laying almost on top of each other.

The point is shoot the pinched sights and you can shoot these guns.  My wife and I shot Cowboy for a few years. She shot a Vaquero in 44-40. She didn't miss to often... The guns will shoot.  Give the sights a chance!

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

2frogs posted this 22 December 2021

I've been looking at them and offer wondered how one sighted one of those. I have heard they are factory set or whatever.For a certain weight bullet ?? I'm looking for a 44 to go with my Henry 44.. Appreciate any information on them.

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 21 December 2021

My RH old Vaquero 7 1/2" will group under 2" at 25yrds all day long with the Handload I worked up for Cowboy Shooting.  

Lee #452-230-TC over 5.0grs Clays. 

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 20 December 2021

I have a first generation (introductory year) Vaquero, chambered in 45 Colt. It is blued and has a 7 1/2” barrel. I did have a 6” SAA in .45 Colt made by Colt but finished, serial numbered and sold by Doug Turnbull. Beautiful gun but was vastly out shot by the Vaquero.

I’m used to the fixed sights. I have a S&W Model 58 (.41 Mag.) that has fixed sights. Maybe it’s just a matter of figuring out how far and where to hold off. For the Vaquero, I like the “replication” of the original SAA, including the rear sight “notch”.

The Vaquero doesn’t get shot much anymore and will go up for sale soon. A nice set of Redding dies will be included.

Tom

Attached Files

alco posted this 20 December 2021

Here are pictures

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 14 August 2021

I'm also interested in seeing how this turns out.  My Big Vaquero's are as accurate as the day is long. My New Vaquero leaves a bit to be desired. 

I also want to see what kind of rear sight ? Goes on it.  Saw lots of M&P's with a S&W inset into the top strap when I was a kid. And a few M1917's too. 

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

Jack47 posted this 10 August 2021

I have two Vaqueros, one in .38-40/.40 S&W, and one in .32-20/.32 magnum.

Wish I had done the adjustable sight thing when I first got them. Could never hit well either of them.

should probably dig them out and try to work up a load.

Attached Files

alco posted this 02 August 2021

Gunsmith is John Powers.

Attached Files

crash87 posted this 26 July 2021

Sending my new Vaquero off to have adjustable sights installed.  I'll try to post a picture when it gets back.

I couldn't find a Black Hawk anywhere !!!!!

Picked up a Talo limited edition Vaquero a number of years ago in 44 special, sent it off to Jim Stroh (Retired) to have that done, among other things. If I may ask, who is doing the work for you?

Crash87

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 24 July 2021

I always thought that once the Ruger had that V cut into the top strap to be the sight I.E. a Vacaro that there was no way to make that an adjustable like the Blackhawk Rugers have. I can't wait to see pictures. Especially if you have prior and once job is done pictures.

Should be a simple job of milling a flat portion for the sight and taping for mount screw(s).

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

Michael S posted this 23 July 2021

I always thought that once the Ruger had that V cut into the top strap to be the sight I.E. a Vacaro that there was no way to make that an adjustable like the Blackhawk Rugers have. I can't wait to see pictures. Especially if you have prior and once job is done pictures.

GOD, United States of America, US Marine Corps, Family, Self

Attached Files

alco posted this 23 July 2021

10-4 Sonnyk.   I'll try to post a picture as soon as I get it back.  I'm hoping it'll be back in a couple of weeks.

I'll have to find out how to post a picture ?

Attached Files

Sonnyk posted this 23 July 2021

Please do!  I have a Ruger Talo Vaquero birds head and I'd love to see what yours looks like with the sights installed and the final price.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Jack47
alco posted this 12 July 2021

I wish, no.  It's got the plow handle............Now if I could just find some small pistol primers, I'd be all set !!

Attached Files

Glenn R. Latham posted this 12 July 2021

Should be nice.  Does it have the Bisley grip frame?

Glenn

Attached Files

Close