Uses for M1 30 Carbine Brass?

• Last Post 17 December 2020
SkinnerD posted this 05 December 2020

Good morning, well, its morning here so there ya go... an idle Sunday morning over coffee kind of question.  All our M1 Carbines pretty much got confiscated recently here in NZ - unless you jumped through hoops etc etc...but lets not go there.  So anything 30 Carbine related is kind of worthless here now, dies, and brass especially. Which begs the question, what else can you do with 30 Carbine brass, if anything, apart from melt it down??

John - New Zealand

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
BigMan54 posted this 05 December 2020

Make jewelry from it.

From what I see on the internet, that seems to be a "thing" .

Why, I have no idea.

Check Pinterest

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 05 December 2020

Hmmmm.  I would consider a swaging die, assuming the OD is about .360", to make brass bullets.  I've used .380 acp loaded into .375 win.  SO, trimmed to the right length, with the appropriate lead core, swaging could produce .357 diameter "jacketed" bullets.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • SkinnerD
45 2.1 posted this 05 December 2020

It makes dandy jackets for making 348 Win bullets....................................

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Rum River
ray h posted this 05 December 2020

Skinner, they have been necking the 30 Car. down to 22 cal for years. One guy has a series of cases down to 17 cal. Case will work in the CZ 527.

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 05 December 2020

QuickLoad shows the possibility of 3400 feet per second with the Hornady 25 grain bullet.

I can send you an EXCEL Spreadsheet from QuickLoad with loads at 53,000 pounds of pressure if you are interested, Give you an idea of what you might do.

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 05 December 2020

Or you can trim them back to make ammo for the French .32 pistol from the 1930's or ammo for your Pedersen device for the Mark 1 1903 Springfield. The French also made a sub-gun for their .32 pistol ammo, but they are banned here in the US.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 05 December 2020

a recovered .380 after being fired (empty) from a .375 Win - went through a 2x4!

Attached Files

John Carlson posted this 06 December 2020

Ruger made a Blackhawk revolver in 30 carbine if you can still get one. Nice shooting gun but LOUD.  First gun I ever used cast bullets in.

John Carlson. CBA Director of Military Competition.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ed in North Texas
  • TRKakaCatWhisperer
SkinnerD posted this 06 December 2020

Yes, there happens to be a used one for sale in here Christchurch. They want an awful lot of $$$ for it tho. Given I have a couple of double actions in 357 that I enjoy I guess I will turn my avaricious eyes to something else. Unless perhaps a bolt or lever gun chambered in 30 Carbine wanders along, which no-one is holding their breath for.

John - New Zealand

Attached Files

Fitzpatrick posted this 06 December 2020

or if you can find one in the contender pistol i have one that will outshoot most rifles  and handles the heavy cast bullets good

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • SkinnerD
Bud Hyett posted this 07 December 2020

Marlin made their Model 62 Levermatic in .30 Carbine. A light, short-stroke lever action that never sold well, you might be able to find one. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • SkinnerD
SkinnerD posted this 07 December 2020

Possibly it would not have fared well against 38/357 in an LA. Only matters I guess to folk who tend to ask " why not?" rather then "why?"

John - New Zealand

Attached Files

max503 posted this 07 December 2020

Ear rings? 

Attached Files

Hedgehog posted this 07 December 2020

Good morning, well, its morning here so there ya go... an idle Sunday morning over coffee kind of question.  All our M1 Carbines pretty much got confiscated recently here in NZ - unless you jumped through hoops etc etc...but lets not go there.  So anything 30 Carbine related is kind of worthless here now, dies, and brass especially. Which begs the question, what else can you do with 30 Carbine brass, if anything, apart from melt it down??

Attached Files

ray h posted this 07 December 2020

Check out surestrikesystems.com. They have form dies, sizing die and reamers for a line of cartridges from 25 to 17 based on the 30 Carbine brass

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • SkinnerD
Lee Guthrie posted this 10 December 2020

Loud?  Even with ear plugs AND muffs it will deafen you.  It's that *** high pitch "whine".

They are scarce as hen's teeth, but TC used to make a Contender barrel in .30 carbine.

I see my membership status has NOT been updated.  Been a while since I was on the BOD.

Attached Files

Rum River posted this 17 December 2020

It makes dandy jackets for making 348 Win bullets....................................

Interesting, I had never heard of that before.

I just bought a nice Winchester 71 this past year and have been accumulating the various stuff to feed it. After seeing your post I did some basic web searches for further info but couldn't find any.

"Well hell boys. I'd damn sight rather be hung by my friends than by a bunch'a damn strangers."

Attached Files

Close