universal powder?

• Last Post 07 March 2023
  • Topic Is Solved
Ross Smith posted this 05 March 2023

Is there a reason that slower burning rifle powder(4895) can't be used in pistol or shotgun applications?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
JeffinNZ posted this 05 March 2023

Yes, because it is far too slow in burning rate for either.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Lee Guthrie
Ross Smith posted this 06 March 2023

I agree on the pistol because of the short barrel. But there is a lot of empty space in a shot shell and a long barrel to burn the powder. Black powder used to fit the bill. I've never tried this and never will. New knowledge comes from somebody taking a risk.

Attached Files

Clod Hopper posted this 06 March 2023

I read somewhere of some heavy .357 or .44 magnum loads that used R7.  IMO, 4895 would push a bullet out of a .357 with a lot of unburnt powder.  It might make 600 fps, but be a real waste of powder.

Dale M. Lock

Attached Files

dbarron posted this 06 March 2023

No idea about shotgun, but pistol? Maybe. I’d be real sure bore was clear after each shot and wouldn’t expect too much in the way of velocity. I messed about a bit with very slow powders ( BMG50 class) in .308 Win. Accuracy was OK, and velocities <2000fps. Obviously there are better options, but in a pinch…?

Attached Files

Aaron posted this 06 March 2023

New knowledge comes from somebody taking a risk.

To be sure. HOWEVER, if this powder or others worked like that, you can be sure that the powder companies would publish data to that effect to get you to use their powder(s) in that manner in those cartridges or shells. With a zillion folks reloading now for over a zillion years, somebody would have realized this worked and the manufacturers have missed the boat.

Words like safely, effectively, economically, and efficiently do not apply in that application.

My speedometer goes to 150 mph. Should I test that in my F150? Me thinketh I will let the 17 year-old inebriated lads test that since in the back of my mind I sense it may be a bad idea, and I don't believe any new knowledge will be gained; at least any knowledge I can convey from the other side.

Hey.....hold my beer......

With rifle in hand, I confidently go forth into the darkness.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Bud Hyett
Clod Hopper posted this 06 March 2023

Powder manufacturers do not publish data for their powders just because it will work.  I asked Accurate Arms why they published no .30-06 data for AA 2495, which is supposed to be similar in speed to IMR 4895.  They said it did work well in the .30-06, so they did not publish any data.  Powder companies only publish what they can recommend as suitable, not what is physically possible.

BTW, the only universal powder I am aware is Trail Boss.  Starting loads are 70 percent of the powder space up to 100 percent, but not compressed.

Dale M. Lock

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ross Smith
Spindrift posted this 06 March 2023

IMR have published some rather unusual data over the years, including data for handgun cartridges using slow rifle powders. Like IMR4831 in the .44 magnum, for example.

If you Google something like "IMR loading data guide", I think you'll find some of these publications in PDF format. The only thing dangerous about using slow rifle powders in handgun cartridges, is if you stick a bullet in the barrel without noticing.

Attached Files

tomme boy posted this 07 March 2023

Slow rifle powders are used in shotgun slug loads but I will not give any more info than that. They are used to be able to have very low engraving forces and burn at a low pressure all the way down the barrel like black powder does. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Bud Hyett
tony1960 posted this 07 March 2023

I have used R7 in a 44 magnum once, only once. Total waste of powder, the velocity was nowhere I needed it to be and the amount of unburnt powder defeated the purpose. And all of that out of a 14 inch barrel.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Lee Guthrie posted this 07 March 2023

All the correct answers to your question have been given above.

To sum up, yes you CAN use rifle powders in pistol and shotgun.

However, the ONLY REASON to do so is if:

(1) that is the only powder you have;

(2) you absolutely have to have some loaded ammo in that cartridge; and

(3) you have no loaded ammo for it.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Close